• 28(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
(2015-07-20, 19:08)MediaPi Wrote: As86 which amazon adaptor did you buy?
the uncomfirmed one? £2.44 ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Display-Female-V...rt+to+hdmi

If so I can promote it to the confirmed list and users have a cheaper alternative
I bought the confirmed one, didn't want to risk the unconfirmed. Blush
Thanks As86, they all seem generic Chinese adapters, even look alike, I would assume the unconfirmed would work, the again you brought send expensive, why didn't you go with the eBay one?
(2015-07-20, 19:23)MediaPi Wrote: Thanks As86, they all seem generic Chinese adapters, even look alike, I would assume the unconfirmed would work, the again you brought send expensive, why didn't you go with the eBay one?

Amazon prime member so next day delivery and couldn't wait 5 days to go and collect the ebay one Lol
(2015-07-20, 15:06)Mike_Doc Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 11:32)LarrxX Wrote: My latest (somewhat minor but annoying) issue: I set everything up so that I can power the unit on and off with the IR remote (activate the correct settings in the BIOS and connect the receiver to the "keyboard" USB port). And it works, I can power on from complete off state... unless the unit stays off for several hours!

I shut it down (and I mean really shut down, no standby or hibernate nonsense), press the power button on the remote, and it turns back on, as expected. But if it stays off for a few hours, I can't get it to turn back on using the remote (the IR receiver doesn't even flash red when I press the remote buttons, it's as if it's not receiving any power).

I tried looking into the BIOS settings for power saving and other stuff, but haven't found anything that might be the cause of this particular problem.

Any ideas?

Hi LarrxX, I've encountered a remote problem and found that if I use the 'power off system' option then my 260 won't startup from remote, but if I just use general 'exit' and thne shutdown windows itself then the remote works everytime regardless of how long it has been off.

Might help.

Mike

I configured a button on the remote using Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool to send the "Shutdown" event when pressed. And that's what I'm using. Is there something else I should be doing instead?

(2015-07-20, 12:17)john321 Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 11:12)john321 Wrote: Hi,

Several people have commented on how quiet their HP is. I find my fan is running pretty fast from startup ( 3000rpm) and so is far from silent. Can someone confirm the low load fan speed on their unit please ? I may have been unlucky, or just oversensitive to noise.

I can confirm that my unit is very silent, even in full load. It's so silent that the actual noise I hear is the scratching of the hard disk over any other sounds produced by the unit.

Thanks for the reply, cant help you with your question sorry.

Any chance you could check the fan speed ( its visible in the bios if you don't have speedfan or equivalent running. Would like to know if my unit is not regulating fan speed properly, or if it is a noisy fan running at "normal" speed.

I just checked and my fan is running at ~3200rpm on boot and extremely silent.
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
(2015-07-19, 12:06)nickr Wrote:
(2015-07-19, 11:55)psionguy Wrote: I have my HP260 running through my Onkyo 626 into my Panasonic GT50 TV and all works well, the only issue I am having is the windows start screen is just a little to big for the TV, makes it a little difficult to close down as the icon is out of reach, has anyone with a similar setup have this issue?

Turn off overscan on your tv.

Thanks, that worked.
(2015-07-21, 00:06)LarrxX Wrote: I just checked and my fan is running at ~3200rpm on boot and extremely silent.

Same fan speed, but not to my ear silent, I had assumed that the fan would be speed controlled, and slow when cold, but there seems to be no speed control settings in BIOS. Running a small fan at 3000rpm is not generally recommended for a "silent PC".

Glad to know yours is nice and quiet and thanks for the info.
(2015-07-20, 19:21)As86 Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 19:08)MediaPi Wrote: As86 which amazon adaptor did you buy?
the uncomfirmed one? £2.44 ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Display-Female-V...rt+to+hdmi

If so I can promote it to the confirmed list and users have a cheaper alternative
I bought the confirmed one, didn't want to risk the unconfirmed. Blush

Cannot believe I missed that adapter from Amazon, I have prime so I should have ordered that!
I ordered the ebay £3.97 one on Thursday evening, it got dispatched on Friday and still not here, knowing my luck it will probably turn up tomorrow along with the Amazon one! Bit annoyed that I haven't managed to set it up yet, the Ram is here, do you think that a £1 Bluetooth dongle will suffice for bluetooth?
(2015-07-21, 11:57)john321 Wrote:
(2015-07-21, 00:06)LarrxX Wrote: I just checked and my fan is running at ~3200rpm on boot and extremely silent.

Same fan speed, but not to my ear silent, I had assumed that the fan would be speed controlled, and slow when cold, but there seems to be no speed control settings in BIOS. Running a small fan at 3000rpm is not generally recommended for a "silent PC".

Glad to know yours is nice and quiet and thanks for the info.

Mine is in a bedroom environment and even in the dead of night if my HP is running you have to really strain your ears to hear it, if yours is noisy you may have a faulty fan
Agree with stammie. Either people must have dog like hearing or live in a monestery to hear such things. Or I'm going deaf. I can never hear anything. To be honest it would have to be as loud as a hoover to hear it in my household.
(2015-07-21, 15:02)roadie Wrote: do you think that a £1 Bluetooth dongle will suffice for bluetooth?

Should work fine, theres alot of information about these if you search in google and all say that it works, especially under windows. Keep the receipt just incase you get a dud one though. (I'm assuming yiur referring to the poundland adaptor)
(2015-07-21, 17:55)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-07-21, 15:02)roadie Wrote: do you think that a £1 Bluetooth dongle will suffice for bluetooth?

Should work fine, theres alot of information about these if you search in google and all say that it works, especially under windows. Keep the receipt just incase you get a dud one though. (I'm assuming yiur referring to the poundland adaptor)

Yes mate, I am referring to the poundland adapter!
I have used some in the past but have misplaced it, I shall try it tomorrow (if the display port arrives)! Thanks
the hard drive mounting screw grommets are the most trickiest to find, there are ways to buy the p/n 450712-001 which are for the 3.5 inch HDD and then replace with the smaller screw. These seem a very expensive way IMO, especially considering the cable is costing around £12

So I seen a member on hukd site by the name of cjed. He mentioned that "The only part I actually ordered from HP was the SATA cable, I fudged the other parts from different sources, I made up replacements for the screws with standard bolts and vibration reduction washers

So I sent him a PM to enquire and he was great. he replied instantly and sent me a link with photos about his upgrades to the HP260.

This is where he's keeping the photos
Upgrading the HP 260 G1 mini-PC

I'm posting a few here to

Quote:The base unit comes without the special SATA cable (power and data) required to fit a standard 2.5" drive into the unit. Although the plastic carrier for the drive is in place, you also have to order the special cable and mounting screws/grommets from the HP Parts Store
So this is the SATA cable, quite nice in white!

Quote:This is one of a pair of internal, self-adhesive WiFi aerials ordered from this link : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DOTLJHW
stuff like this is just resellers getting it from china
here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Laptop-2-4-...2c9de1e280 is the exact same from ebay china at half the price, you'll need to wait 2 weeks for delivery though

cjed brought his own wifis antennas and card,but for anyone interested in internal wifi, you can buy a used virgin media superhub for around £6 of ebay, which includes the wifi antennas
thanks to nememo for this

Quote:The WiFi aerials as supplied were too large to fit in the HP chassis correctly, so I cut them down by removing around 50% of the ground plane area

This is what I really wanted to see!
Quote:It doesn't seem possible to order the correct 2.5" mounting screws and grommets from HP (although they appear in the parts store they don't seem to be orderable). So I made up equivalents using a couple of Maplin's rubber vibration washers and a large headed bolt.
Here's a link to the washers (pack of 50) : http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/anti-vibration-washers-a26gf
Not bad right. You could have fooled me into thinking these are official screws, think it looks nice and not bad for £2.99 for the washers (although i've asked him if these will do
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-8-Acou...5aef3858f5
(cheaper at £1.99)
I've sent him a message asking him what screw he used, I'll report back.

Quote:This shot shows the custom SATA cable connected to the motherboard. Note that it's oriented so the blue tab is uppermost when the ribbon cable is slotted into the connector. It also has to be fed down through a slot in the rear of the plastic carrier that holds the hard disk.

Quote:This shows the hard disk clipped in place into the plastic carrier, as well as the Intel 7620 AC WiFi card fitted to the right. Note how the washers go between the carrier and the disk, and the head of the bolt clips into the semi-circular cutout in the carrier. The disk is released by pushing down the clip at the end.

Quote:This shows one of the two Wi-Fi aerials mounted next to the speaker at the front of the chassis. I didn't cut down the fly-leads that connect to the Intel 7260 AC Wi-Fi card, and you can see them coiled up over the card. The other aerial is mounted at the side, at 90 degrees to this one. They must be mounted in this corner of the chassis as the case top cover is sprayed with a metallic RFI shield in all other places.

Quote:A second shot of both Wi-Fi aerials in place, and the 2.5" SATA hard disk mounted.

There are more images on his site, I can't post all here so have a look.
I just want to thank cjed (Charles Durrant) for his help and kindness. If you guys have any questions relating to this, let me know and I can ask him. I'll get back to you on the exact screw he used.
Ah, I see the SSD is Sandisk... Anyone done a speed test or found the specs from the model number?
is that good or bad Methanoid?
regarding the speed test, I've mentioned it before earlier in the thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2034430

Quote:OK, The SSD in the HP 260 is a Sandisk SDSA6MM-032G-1006, CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 gives it the following performance figures : SeqQ32 read 394 MB/s write 88 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 28 MB/s write 13 MB/s, Seq read 403 MB/s, write 84 MB/s, 4K read 13 MB/s write 12 MB/s

The only eMMC I have is a Samsung MBG4GC 32GB in an HP Omni 10, CPU is an Atom Z3770, running 32bit Windows 8.1. CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 run on it the following performance figures : SeqQ32 read 157 MB/s write 38 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 29 MB/s write 7 MB/s, Seq read 87 MB/s, write 38 MB/s, 4K read 11 MB/s write 6 MB/s.

For comparison, a standard 500GB SATA laptop drive (5400rpm) in the HP 260 gives the following CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 performance figures : SeqQ32 read 122 MB/s write 121 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 1.1 MB/s write 0.8 MB/s, Seq read 122 MB/s, write 121 MB/s, 4K read 0.5 MB/s write 0.8 MB/s.

As you can see, the Sandisk SSD in the HP 260 G1 is significantly faster than the Samsung eMMC disk.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25355357

what are you thinking Methanoid?

Heres a clearer picture of the ssd (and also the little connection for the sata cable)
Thanks, yeah thats pretty good. Not 500+ which the best can do but certainly not bad and as good as many of the ones you can buy to replace. So worth keeping.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2