v15 Artifacts and freezes with PVR HTS 2.1.8
hello guys,

have some serious issues after upgrading to hts 2.1.8, can't get live tv to work,
[Symptoms] I'm having green artifacts and freezes when trying to playback, the cpu goes to 100%, kodi sometimes hangs and exits.

[Home Setup] Main Box: Asus Chromebox Celeron 2955U, Lubuntu 14.10 with Backend TVHeadend 3.4.28~geb79aee~trusty, PVR HTS Client 2.1.8, Kodi 15 nightly builds, currently with 1506, had issues from 1006 as far as I remember
Second Box: Celeron 1037u mini PC running with OE, Kodi 15 Beta1 May 7 build, PVR HTS client was updated today to 2.1.8

[Analysis] Problem started first on the main box when pvr client was updated to 2.1.8, during that time OE Box was still running previous version and live tv was working great, hence not a backend issue, signal strength is 100% btw.

at the moment, the chromebox suffering constantly from the issue above, while the OE sometimes managed to playback properly the content.

CBOX Debug

will try to catch a debug log of the OE box when the issue re-occurs.
just out of curiosity, i have upgraded the backend to stable 4.0.4 and the problem is still there
any of the mods can move this thread to the linux forum? right now the problem is solely on the chromebox, the OE box playback is working fine.
Thread moved.
The log file was cut, therefor it's wasting time ...

For a celeron 2955U you need a kernel >= 3.18.3 - it will crash and burn and freeze and gpu hang no matter what. Furthermore Lubuntu's default libva / libva-driver-intel are outdated, consider using wsnipex ppa to care for color perfect scaling when copying.

This is handled all in the sticky thread VAAPI here in this forum.

Edit: This only cares for the intel gpu freezes, which are a kernel bug. The other "green" stuff looks like the rock solid tvh quality we see for years ... here are some sample files: http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/ <- all fine after kernel upgrade? If yes - consider switching the backend.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
hey fritsch, been using the patched kernel since the day you posted it here, now im on 3.18.4
using wsnipex ppa as well

after the upgrade to a nightly build of 18th of Jun the problem appeared just once, which is better, before i couldn't use live tv at all.
now im on 20th of jun build and problem didn't appeared yet.

regarding the backend, tried to understand how to use vdr, but can't find a simple how-to guide

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artifacts and freezes with PVR HTS 2.1.80