Windows - HOW TO - Kodi 2D & 3D Guide Internal & External Players Incl afedchin build

Thread Rating:
  • 23 Vote(s) - 4.35 Average
brazen1 Offline
Posting Freak
Turn off all the notifications in 'Program Settings'. You should only have 2 things checked in there. It will briefly pop up and Kodi will resume focus while PDVD loads then PDVD takes focus. This is because the task at hand is it's reading the disc VCD just mounted. Once PDVD is closed via alt + f4 mapped to your remote, Kodi resumes focus and AnyDVD notification window is under it. You'll notice that once you close Kodi and you can close it with the same mapped alt + F4 if you want. You too may need to adjust 'timeout /t 10' to a higher value.

You press enter and:

Kodi playercorefactory assumes tasking which in turn analyzes media type defined in 'Rules' and redirects to ISO.bat which does more in depth analysis and obeys instructions. This function is basically immediate but time is not crucial because the other functions will not start until this is complete and are in wait state.

VCD program is called and mounts the iso to instructed drive letter. Speed at which your machine performs this command is crucial as are the rest of the commands. If VCD has not mounted the iso completely BEFORE the next task begins (AnyDVD analyze iso) then AnyDVD cannot properly do it's job and so on and so forth for the next task. Timing is crucial. Too fast, and the chain is broken. The code allows 2 seconds for this command before initiating the next command.

Once VCD has mounted the iso, then and only then AnyDVD should be called. It takes quite a bit to open the program, analyze the disc, connect to server(s) dependent on your internet connection, and apply the magic. AnyDVD notification window will open on top of Kodi showing what it analyzes and the changes it makes. Then it releases focus and Kodi resumes focus. The code allows 10 seconds for this to occur. You may need to increase the time. If you did not allow ample time, AnyDVD notification will remain uncompleted and PDVD takes over. Chain is broken. It will also remain IF you told it to display notifications for ANYTHING. Turn them all off.

Once AnyDVD has finished it's job, then and only then PDVD should be called. It reads the mounted iso drive letter you assigned it to read and will open it just as if it was inserted into your dedicated player and begins playback with no interaction to start it.

When you close PDVD, the iso is dismounted and you return to Kodi in focus.

When you close Kodi, the AnyDVD notification window will be present.

Also, the 1st time AnyDVD is called, is when it takes focus for a few seconds to actually open the program. Subsequent calls do not as the notification window is already open under Kodi which is in focus. Think of it as starting AnyDVD allows access to settings. Using the program opens a notification window showing what it's doing briefly and releases focus. Once that notification working window has been opened, it doesn't need to take brief focus again for subsequent use. Would be nice if they added a toggle setting to perform this in the background without notifying but the short time it's visible isn't a big deal.

Hope this gives you some understanding in the event you need to tailor the script slightly dependent on your environment. I think your problem in particular is you have some notification alerts you should turn off that will prevent the window from retaining focus.

Kodi 3D Guide Internal and External Players
Basic Server & Client Setup WOL
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
twinpeaks Offline
Well, I have "Enable AnyDVD", "Autostart", "Check for New Versions", "Prevent player software from detecting Cinavia." I turned off "check for new versions because, yes, that will notify (but it' currently current.) But that leaves three - is the Cinavia box ok?

Also I realized the Intel graphics keeps prompting me to put 4096x2160 however I see the TV is rated for 3840x2160 so I switched to that.
find quote
brazen1 Offline
Posting Freak
If you're going to use "autostart" meaning load the program when Windows starts, then it's already open and there is no need for

"C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe"
timeout /t 10

in the code. Edit it out. Else, uncheck "autostart" and only have it load when needed. I only have it load when needed because my box is an all in one box and not only for home theatre use so why have it running in the background and sitting in the tray. Still none of this should take focus or produce a blank screen.

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
twinpeaks Offline
I figured it out - mostly - holy crap! So I was tripping up on myself in a circle. First of all, there's some sort of SMB/Permissions issue on one of my servers. When I did a local library reset, that data on that server just fell off. Realizing that has helped me segregate that problem.

Secondly, I had the desktop set to 3840x2160 and that was causing black screen on HDMI 1.4. When I moved the cable to the HDMI 2.0 port the desktop worked but 3D was screwing up. That makes perfect sense from what I was reading but I didn't put 2+2 together - the light bulb went off.

Now, only remaining 3D problem - I pulled up a few scenes on Spider-Man 2. I ha d problem on Android TV with one 3D movie (haven't tried this one but I will later) and I had to hit a button that 'reversed eyes.' I'm not sure how to do that in PowerDVD 17.
find quote
brazen1 Offline
Posting Freak
Yep. If you can't access your source, and it's not scanned in you're going to render nothing but it's old artwork.

Aside from that, I thought I explained the HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 resolution problem for devices like yours (post 189) and that you understood it since the next post was a confirmation by you? You can only use one or the other. You can't use both at the same time. You would need a GPU designed with driver support such as Nvidia to do both at the same time. So with your device, you have to choose one or the other and corresponding settings for one or the other as well. 3D low res at 1080 use HDMI 1.4 or 2D high res at 2160 use HDMI 2.0. If you want both at the same time you have to use HDMI 2.0 with Nvidia. Intel does not work this way. Do you understand?

If you have R/S 1st rather than the more common L/S 1st titles ripped, you will need to reverse the order. Kodi has this setting. However, if you're using an external player like PDVD, switching in Kodi does no good. That switch is for the Kodi internal player. Fortunately you can make the adjustment within PDVD. It's in 3D settings. You can also make the setting in your display if it exists and most do. I use a programmable remote (Harmony) so I can access either device and make the change. Key presses to access the menu are about the same. You would have to determine what is most convenient for you.

If this completes the final pieces of your puzzle, please rate the thread as you see fit and enjoy your efforts.

(This post was last modified: 2017-05-12 02:10 by brazen1.)
find quote
twinpeaks Offline
(2017-05-12 02:01)brazen1 Wrote:  Yep. If you can't access your source, and it's not scanned in you're going to render nothing but it's old artwork.

Aside from that, I thought I explained the HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 resolution problem for devices like yours (post 189) and that you understood it since the next post was a confirmation by you? You can only use one or the other. You can't use both at the same time. You would need a GPU designed with driver support such as Nvidia to do both at the same time. So with your device, you have to choose one or the other and corresponding settings for one or the other as well. 3D low res at 1080 use HDMI 1.4 or 2D high res at 2160 use HDMI 2.0. If you want both at the same time you have to use HDMI 2.0 with Nvidia. Intel does not work this way. Do you understand?

I did understand - but there was a lag in the words in the communication and translating that to the real world - to desktop rez + 3D contradicting each other

(2017-05-12 02:01)brazen1 Wrote:  If you have R/S 1st rather than the more common L/S 1st titles ripped, you will need to reverse the order. Kodi has this setting. However, if you're using an external player like PDVD, switching in Kodi does no good. That switch is for the Kodi internal player. Fortunately you can make the adjustment within PDVD. It's in 3D settings. You can also make the setting in your display if it exists and most do. I use a programmable remote (Harmony) so I can access either device and make the change. Key presses to access the menu are about the same. You would have to determine what is most convenient for you.

If this completes the final pieces of your puzzle, please rate the thread as you see fit and enjoy your efforts.

The puzzle is almost complete (it's probably going to be always "almost" isn't it - it was "almost" about 5 years ago Blush ) The 3D settings aren't right. I feel like my eyeballs are being pulled to the left, right, up, down, inside, and out. I'll deal with that tomorrow. It's been quite a few hours to getting content executing and 3D mode turning on. That's enough for today. Time to enjoy this week's Flash, Supergirl, and Arrow ....CoolNod
find quote
twinpeaks Offline
I can't figure out 3D mode. Movies are triggering 3D but the settings aren't right. During movement it feels like someone's pulling my eyeballs out. I've tried switching eyes on the TV (I found where to do it on the tv) but that doesn't help. I can't find too many settings in PowerDVD. There is auto-detect, side-by-side and something else but the options are ghosted except for Auto-Detect.

The same exact movies display just fine on my Zidoo X9S.

I'm just going to wait for a few more Kaby Lake driver updates I think.

I'll also post over in the Kabe Lake thread.
find quote
rahulkadukar Offline
Had a question, does this work with Windows 10. I am trying to play a MVC file ripped using MakeMKV. My setup is Kaby Lake Pentium HTPC connected to the LG OLED E6 and playback software is Power DVD 16, Although I can see everything in 3D it is not as good as the 3D produced by the Xbox One S.
find quote
twinpeaks Offline
(2017-05-16 02:22)rahulkadukar Wrote:  Had a question, does this work with Windows 10. I am trying to play a MVC file ripped using MakeMKV. My setup is Kaby Lake Pentium HTPC connected to the LG OLED E6 and playback software is Power DVD 16, Although I can see everything in 3D it is not as good as the 3D produced by the Xbox One S.

Explain "not as good as" a little more. I have a problem with 3D and PowerDVD 17, but I'm not sure if it's the same as yours. Upon movement, I feel like my eyeballs are being ripped out of their sockets. The movies play great on an Android box. And paused, it's fine. I've tried every setting such as swapping eyes from left/right to right/left, depth, viewpoint, auto-sensing, and I just can't bear it. There's got to be more bugs here Sad
(This post was last modified: 2017-05-17 03:48 by twinpeaks.)
find quote