• 41(current)
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
Anaerin Wrote:From the looks of things, it'd need a little poking around in
Code:
CMythDirectory::GetDirectory(const CStdString& strPath, CFileItemList &items)
To add Directory handlers, and some Sorting/Grouping code to split it into separate folders (Along with handlers for those folders to do some refining).

Yeah, going to modify GetDirectory() so that looking in Recordings will call GetRecordingGroups.
This will then add "All", as well as one new folder for each show title.
Then another call in GetDirectory() when looking in "Recordings/All" to just call GetRecordings() as usual, but else if looking in "Recordings/<something" then call GetRecordingGroup with that string <something> passed in, which will just duplicate most of the GetRecordings work but only add programs of a certain name.

Actually, changing that. I'll make GetRecordings() take an extra string (CStdString) and if null is passed in, return everything. That should be fairly straight forward.

Anyway, for now, emerging kdevelop. Going to see how it compares to other IDEs, seeing as a .kdevelop file is provided.
anenigma Wrote:Actually, changing that. I'll make GetRecordings() take an extra string (CStdString) and if null is passed in, return everything. That should be fairly straight forward.

As it stands, GetRecordings() already gets the "Path" passed into it. So all it'd take is a comparison over the first x characters (To get the "recordings"), rather than the straight comparison we have now, then GetRecordings() can parse the rest of the "Path".

Though I was thinking more of having separate handlers like:

Recordings/By Date/2008/Nov 29th
Recordings/By Channel/CKCK
Recordings/By Title/CSI- Crime Scene Investigation
Recordings/By Genre/Drama
Recordings/All

So you'd have a "GetRecordingsByDate()", "GetRecordingsByChannel()" and so on. Each would call "GetRecordingList()" first, and would then massage the data so fetched to group/sort it as necessary.
Anaerin Wrote:As it stands, GetRecordings() already gets the "Path" passed into it. So all it'd take is a comparison over the first x characters (To get the "recordings"), rather than the straight comparison we have now, then GetRecordings() can parse the rest of the "Path".

Though I was thinking more of having separate handlers like:

Recordings/By Date/2008/Nov 29th
Recordings/By Channel/CKCK
Recordings/By Title/CSI- Crime Scene Investigation
Recordings/By Genre/Drama
Recordings/All

So you'd have a "GetRecordingsByDate()", "GetRecordingsByChannel()" and so on. Each would call "GetRecordingList()" first, and would then massage the data so fetched to group/sort it as necessary.

I've got a quick patch written up which groups by title. I can easily modify it to have the "By Title" folder, but I'm not sure on how to pull out the genre or channel information yet. Also have to be aware that a "proper" Myth integration is already being worked on, so I don't want to spend too much time on this.
http://www.strudel-hound.com/xbmc-groups.patch

That's what I've written so far. It's by no means complete. It applies and compiles cleanly, but I have no idea if it even works, as my TV is currently in use by my housemate. Since I have exams for the next three days, however, I may not be on much so I put it up here if anyone else was going to go digging. Feel free to leave comments.
We use the myth:// protocol a lot through XBMC as it works more efficiently than the Linux MythTV client.

Being able to have the recordings grouped by Title would be fantastic for us. I'm not sure about some of the other groupings though.

Something like the following would work really well for us:
Live TV (existing)
Guide (existing)
All Recordings (existing Recordings functionality, which we'd sort by Date so we can find the stuff that's been recently recorded)
Recorded Shows (which would go to folders for each TV show. For each TV show we'd also sort by Date so we can watch them in the right order)

Overall, a flat level structure at the top would need as few clicks as possible to get to the information we'd use.

We think about TV Shows so I don't think we'd use grouping by Channels, Genre or Date. Mainly because I don't know the channel or genre for most shows and if we want to see something by Date we would likely use the All Recordings directory and then sort by date.

Great work getting to the point where this sort of change would be possible.
I don't want to make a request that would require too much work. As was said earlier, we will get proper myth integration when they incorporate the Google summer of code stuff, so I wouldn't want anybody going through too much trouble over this. But it seems you already have everything in place to accomplish something that would be great for me and other myth users. MythTV allows you to organize your recordings into custom groups called "Recording Groups". For example, I have a "kids" group that keeps all of my kids shows separate from those of mine or my wife's. The standard myth frontend allows you to view your recordings by title, genre, or recording groups. It would be great if the recording groups was an option in XBMC.

Also does anybody know how to get descriptions for the shows? They are available in the myth database but nothing shows up in XBMC when I look at the show's info.
jruss Wrote:It would be great if the recording groups was an option in XBMC.

Once I get the "sort by title" thing going, recording groups is easy. Anything else, however (date/genre etc) will be harder as I'll have to work out how to pull the data.
anenigma Wrote:Once I get the "sort by title" thing going, recording groups is easy. Anything else, however (date/genre etc) will be harder as I'll have to work out how to pull the data.

Unless someone here has a specific request for date or genre, I'd leave it at title and recording groups. A top level structure so the tree isn't too deep to reduce clicks would be magic.

Something like:
  • Live TV
  • Guide
  • Recordings by Title
  • Recordings by Group
  • All Recordings
I agree. Doesn't XBMC allow you to sort the items by date in any of the folders? Maybe I am wrong about that, but if not then you could just look at the All programs folder and have them sorted by date. As for the genre, they are chosen somewhat arbitrarily by whomever you get you listings from and are usually of little utility for TV shows. So it would be fine to leave that out.
Ok, I've got a patch up and submitted at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5309
Note that this only adds grouping by titles. I don't have any recording groups so I can't test those.

If you want a patch which "should" sort by recording groups, try http://www.strudel-hound.com/xbmc-groups.patch
It should patch cleanly to head, and it doesn't crash on me, but no recording groups means I cannot test it. By all means test it yourself and tell me how well it works/crashes, and if I hear good things I'll submit that as well.
hi!

could anyone plz post screenshots of running livetv on xbmc?

a specialy wanna see, how the channel list looks like. is channel grouping possible?

thank you
I don't think they have implemented this yet? You can watch live tv and recordings from mythtv I believe, but as far as I know you can't few actual listings or schedule recordings or any of that yet. Those additions, though being worked on, have yet to be merged into branch. Forgive me if this isn't what you're asking, i do get a bit loopy at 4:19 in the morning (ie, now).
If you look at my post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ton&page=6 you will see what the channel listing in Livetv looks like. Currently other than livetv you can view recordings and a very basic guide.
I'm having problems with Livetv stuttering on XBMC 8.10.

Initially I noticed severe audio stuttering/echoing on 8.10 for Windows but put this down to Windows and the fact that i was using digital out.
Have now changed my Xbox's to 8.10 and there is a small amount of video/audio stuttering on LiveTV, nothing like as bad as the windows version but enough to make it unwatchable.
If I revert to the previous xbox build (will check build no when I get home but roughly 6 months old) then LiveTV works fine with no stuttering.

On both systems DVD's and videos play fine.

Thanks
Question 
Isn't it time that the XBMC team and the MythTV dudes join forces. Imagine the super baby outcome of that marriage!

I, who have been using XBMC since day one, and been reading the forum more intensely lately must say I’m very curious to know in what direction the XBMC team are taking us.

IMHO I would say the XBMC project is being at a crossroads right now. Since the halfhalf goodbye to the Xbox platform the debate in this forum has touched subjects such as on what other hardware platforms XBMC can be executed on and wither the player should have client/server architecture rather than being a standalone software as it is today.

Damn interesting to read all the different and creative ideas posted here but I have not seen anyone firmly pointing in one direction and telling us - the users, your dedicated fans and admirers where were heading.

I guess since XBMC was ported to more than one platform and leaving a well known environment you guys, the development team, must have scratched your heads for quite some time, wondering "How the hell is this going to work on a billion different hardware combinations?" Well, I must say, you’ve done a pretty damn good job so far. Congratulations!

Now to my point, and maybe my vision slightly differs from the dev team, but creating a software platform that integrates all different types of media standards into one intuitive interface is top on my list. That said doesn’t mean the existing masterpiece isn’t intuitive, because it is. What I’m saying is there is one big thing missing and that is the TV integration and everybody knows this. While I’m at is let’s throw in analogue radio as well Smile

Since XBMC now has been ported to platforms that supports standard set-top-box TV functionality this gives us the opportunity to do this once and for all. I repeat my question Smile Are we going down that road?

I’ve seen some threads discussing the subject but not as much as you could have expected since the Intel port. I’m worried and impatient! Are we going down that road or not? No, worries, I have a box of chill pills and I know things takes time but this is so exiting!

One box for everything. Yes it could be a wet dream becoming true but is that the way to go? Defiantly not for me to decide. I guess it’s more of a philosophy question on how you want to develop your software - a fat stand alone bastard that does everything by itself in one box or a more delicate client/server architecture spreading the actual rendering, storage and encoding to a lot of different consumer boxes unifying them all under one interface.

Probably I’m not the first one popping this idea but wouldn’t XBMC and the MythTV project be a perfect couple? Both are great projects. Certainly there is functionality that MythTV users are missing from XBMC and XBMC users are missing all the related TV features. Combining them two would create THE ultimate HTPC software on earth. Oh… and I would like support for softcams as well so I can watch my pay TV (please don’t call me a pirate, cause I’m not)

What do you think? I’m I stupid or something. Have your say cause I’m interested where we’re going and where you want to go!
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC1