SMB VPN ambitious buffer?
I recently rigged up an openvpn server at home and a small box that connects to it so I can watch from anywhere with a decent connection (when I travel).

The problem is I noticed a lot of the connections I use tend to fluctuation up and down ~10-30MB every few minutes (probably oversubscribed cable). But even at the low 10MB it should be able to handle most videos with a little buffering, however what ends up happening is the buffer calculation on start see’s 30MB plays almost instantly only to zero out the buffer 60 seconds later when the connection dips.

What makes matters worse is a second issue I run into where kodi doesn't pause and re-buffer when it reaches zero. For some reason the picture freezes and the only recovery is to hit stop and wait 20-30 seconds (I'm assuming something is timing out?) at which point I'm sent back to my video list.

At first I assumed it was the VPN but the logs look good. If I immediately re-play the video it plays perfectly, often resuming from the just saved bookmark only to rinse and repeat the same freeze when the connection dips.

Any ideas? Is there a way to take some confidence out of the buffer so that it anticipates a worse connection OR better yet, any idea what could be causing the video to freeze when the buffer reaches zero rather than re-buffer?

Thanks,
humm my question may be a tad ambitious. how about; is there any buffer configuration options other than:
Code:
<cachemembuffersize>        
<readbufferfactor>

Those are very helpful, but don't enable me to alleviate my variable connection speed.

Thanks,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB VPN ambitious buffer?0