Kodi 15 seems to have problem with UPnP connection to router
i have adapted the advancedsettings for buffering suggested in the Kodi docu. I got some video streaming from the internet, but with very long buffering time (2 mins) and i still don't know whether the streaming speed will be sufficient. On my Windows machines Kodi worked perfectly fast. I stilll think there is an issues with talking to the router properly.
Then you have a very odd router. Networking in osmc and openelec work fine with raspberry pi.

Did you try a wired connection?

Can you SSH into osmc and do the usual network tests like ping, nslookup etc?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr: your terminology of "odd router" does not show so much credibility. Following your advice has already costed me some unnecessary money.

I was increasing the buffer size for my Debian 8.0 Jessie image to 40 MB and got some videos downloading from the internet. However, i feel i should register some port forwarding.

Osmc i will not use. It is a disgusting piece of unnecessary complication. I like my native Debian 8.0 Jessie
I only suggested another OS trial because you thought there might be a problem with your kodi build. Your SD card is not wasted, you can use it on your next pi, your camera, etc, sell it on eBay, whatever. if you want another trial put oe on it. Its a very mature product and very easy to configure wireless.

Does your router block outgoing connections (most consumer routers don't)? You do not need any incoming ports to use any kodi addons that I know of. I have no incoming ports enabled.

Tried a wire yet?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-06-19, 21:19)Thomas Korimort Wrote: @nickr: your terminology of "odd router" does not show so much credibility. Following your advice has already costed me some unnecessary money.
As requested, test with a wire to see if it makes any difference.

WiFi is inherently problematic, and nobody is really interested in diagnosing Kodi network problems when WiFi is in the mix - network problems over WiFi are almost always down to the use of a cheap and nasty dongle, or a duff WiFi driver, or both.

First thing I would have done in your shoes would have been to run various network bandwidth/stability tests (ie. iperf) over WiFi. Network instability would explain all of your problems, but this wouldn't be a Kodi issue, it's an OS/hardware (dongle) issue.

(2015-06-19, 21:19)Thomas Korimort Wrote: However, i feel i should register some port forwarding.
You don't need to forward ports for outbound connections.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
ok. I found some info in the internet about port forwarding in Kodi at this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/569363/xb...s-via-upnp
For me this answers my question of port forwarding for the Kodi UPnP server from my ADSL router satisfactorily.

I tried out and i tried to play some video on ClassicCinema plugin and this plugin wanted to use YouTube plugin, but there was an ERROR while opening the stream. As you can see from the kodi.log in my Pastebin it seems to be an error with sqlite3

http://pastebin.com/mBKjBQp9
@Milhouse: my cheap and nasty dongle works perfectly under Windows, just for your info. Also the dongle i use on the RPi2 was praised as being one that works very nicely with RPi2. Only issues that i realized was that at first the internal WLAN network speed of my RPi2 was very slow. SAMBA was not usable and also CUPS made problems. After installing the "jessie non-free contrib" package "realtek-firmware" the problem with SAMBA and CUPS and internal WLAN speed is solved. However, this package cannot be pre-installed in Debian because it does not follow the strict requirements that Debian puts on the software license. However, it is still available in the "jessie non-free contrib" branch of the distro and it can be simply added by putting an additional source into the apt source file.

As for your attitude towards port forwarding i can tell you that Kodi is listening on 4 different TCP ports and 3 different UDP ports which you can check with "netstat -lp --inet" and then grep the lines concerning the Kodi.bin process.

Thanks for your hint of iperf. I will try that.

@nickr: thanks for your hint. I never came to know how TCP/IP Firewalls and all the related things are working and i am happy that i can learn now. To my understanding i don't see any reason why a router should block outgoing connections. I have to get clear on that things.
(2015-06-20, 13:00)Thomas Korimort Wrote: As for your attitude towards port forwarding i can tell you that Kodi is listening on 4 different TCP ports and 3 different UDP ports which you can check with "netstat -lp --inet" and then grep the lines concerning the Kodi.bin process.

It is not an attitude, it is advice. You are the one with an attitude, and one which is rapidly becoming extremely tiresome.

I will say again, you do not need to open any ports anywhere to use kodi. Obviously your machine can access the internet because your video addons work (albeit imperfectly). You will not improve things by opening any ports. Just try accepting advice instead of contradicting what experienced users tell you. We are not trying to confound you. we are trying to help, although f*** knows why given your attitude (see above).

If you still want to debate your listening ports, show us the results of your netstat -lp --inet |grep kodi.bin
@nickr: ok. Here is the port list, that Kodi listens on:

netstat -lp --inet | grep "$10507/"
tcp 0 0 *:2008 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:1561 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:1472 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:http *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:1900 *:* 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:9777 *:* 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:8757 *:* 10507/kodi.bin

However, i noticed that since the last start of Kodi, this port list has changed, thus it seems to make no sense to forward any fixed set of ports from the router. I don't understand how this is working.

@Milhouse: I tested iperf running a server on a Windows machine in my WLAN and the client on my RPi2 also in the same WLAN as the Windows machine and i got a performance of 250 KByte/s. I don't know whether this is high or low, but there is also some other data traffic running over the router. As for the maximum of 150 MBit/s listed in the wifi standards this seems to be small data transfer rate. But when i remember our old university cT3 connection speed some 15 years ago it was around 700 KByte/s which everyone considered to be very fast. Now i start to get more conscious about those things, but i am not convinced to invest some additional money in a not so chepa dongle since i don't know what the reason for this speed is. Maybe there is a lot of overhead from the IP protocol itself.
250 KByte/s (2.5Mbit/s) for a WiFi connection is pretty low, in fact it's really quite bad - it would be enough to browse with, say on a tablet, but there's no way I'd want to use it for streaming video.

Anyway I'm out of this conversation now that it's been established the quality of your WiFi is a big part of the problem, if not the entire problem - you still haven't tested with a cable.

I could spend time detailing your options but I get the impression you wouldn't appreciate that (particularly as it would involve spending money), so I'll just say "good luck".
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-06-20, 13:47)Thomas Korimort Wrote: @nickr: ok. Here is the port list, that Kodi listens on:

netstat -lp --inet | grep "$10507/"
tcp 0 0 *:2008 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:1561 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:1472 *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
tcp 0 0 *:http *:* LISTEN 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:1900 *:* 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:9777 *:* 10507/kodi.bin
udp 0 0 *:8757 *:* 10507/kodi.bin

However, i noticed that since the last start of Kodi, this port list has changed, thus it seems to make no sense to forward any fixed set of ports from the router. I don't understand how this is working.

These ports do not need to be opened.

Upnp AV is used by kodi for serving media and receiving media served by other upnp AV servers. That is nothing to do with the addon you are using. You are following a red herring.

Upnp is used by your router for Nat traversal, ie opening ports. That is not needed for any kodi functionality. Another red herring.

I endorse what Milhouse said too.
@Milhouse: The average network speed of 250 KByte/s is enough for streaming 3 videos at once. Of course, it could be faster, but tell that to our A1 Telekom. They installed ADSL, which is not quite as fast as it should be according to the contract. And then they call you on phone and try to increase the fee, because of their very nice new glass fiber network..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 15 seems to have problem with UPnP connection to router1