Bug Yatse makes my Kodi Krypton crash
Hi guys,

This is a problem I first encountered after I moved from Helix to Isengard beta 1.

I now run Isengard beta 2 on a Windows 8.1 x64 machine (AMD apu with 8GB RAM) with a remote MySQL server for its database.

This is what happens, and which I can reproduce about once in four tries:
I play a video file on my Kodi box. On my Android phone I open the Yatse application to view information about the video. Yatse opens in the 'remote control' view (with the arrow buttons etc.) So far, so good. Then I swipe to the 'middle screen' with the plot, actors, file name etc. BAMM. Kodi crashes, a Windows error message pops up, and it says 'Kodi stopped working' (or something, I don't have it in English). I press OK and my pc returns to Windows desktop.

I put a debug log on http://xbmclogs.com/plfyou4uo . I have set all sub-logs enabled, so there's a lot of probably non-relevant information such as PVR etc. However, I guess the relevant part is all the way to the bottom with all the json-entries. In this particular case I only started Kodi and played a video in order to make it crash, so it's (in time) a short log. It doesn't say specifically that it crashed in the log, I think, but my logic tells me it's probably the last entry that caused it. However, I'm no programmer so don't trust me on it. Wink

Hope this helps. If you want more information, tell me and I'll try to make it crash again!

edit: I changed the title to Krypton, it's not just Isengard (and Jarvis).
Am I the only one with this bug? Or should I've posted this somewhere else?
Unfortunately, this is still happening on 15.2. Whatever the cause is, Kodi shouldn't be able to crash by a request from another device.

Anyway, not many replies here... Should I've posted a bugreport on Github or something, or is the forum the right place?
In 14.x there was a problem with the webserver which can cause KODI to crash afaik. But I thought it is fixed in 15.x.
Have you tried 15.1 or 15.0? Same Problem?

BTW: Cant open your KODI logfile.
Kodi 15.2 @ Android TV (Nvidia Shield)
PVR Backend: DVBLink/ DVBLogic with DigitalDevices 2xDVB-S & 2xDVB-C,CI DeltaCamTwin @ UM02 & HD02
Media Backend: EMBY
I just had this happen to me. Kodi was playing a video, I open Yatse on my phone and Kodi stutters for a few seconds and then crashed!

http://www.xbmclogs.com/pstsdytwj
this happens to me constantly, on every Kodi version I've tried (15, 16, 17) recently. I can play and queue things to Kodi via Yatse on my phone without issues; I can see what is playing via my notification shade at all times; but when I actually open Yatse and scroll through movies or swipe in the remote to view the playlist or plot info Kodi crashes. does anyone know if Kore has this issue? I love being able to 'cast' things to kodi and I love my notifications of what is playing so I know if someone is watching something downstairs, but it's useless as an actual remote for me unfortunately.
Yeah, I have the same with the Krypton nightlies, although it's definitely less than it was back when I made this first post.

Unfortunately, it also happens - sometimes - when I enable the WiFi on my phone. I guess Yatse notices the WiFi is enabled, then starts polling my HTPC ip whether it's active or not, and somehow Kodi may crash.

My old log file is probably expired (it doesn't seem to work anymore), if it happens again and I have thought of enabling the debug log, I'll upload a new one.

I would also like to use Kore instead of Yatse, but I think it doesn't support sending videos or pictures etc. to the mediaplayer from the phone, which for me is kind of a deal breaker.
I had the same issues with Yatse. Once I switched to Kore I have had no issues.
Yes, that's a viable workaround. But even though Yatse probably sends a wrong command or something, Kodi should not crash because of it.

I don't know what happens in the process, but in the best case Kodi should ignore Yatse's faulty behaviour, or in the worst case give an error message. But crashing back to the desktop points to a Kodi bug.
My only advice is to use the app created by the Kodi team. It does not cause crashes. Is there a Yatse Forum, they might have the answer there? I was never able to find one when I had issues.
(2016-09-16, 17:00)willemd Wrote: Yes, that's a viable workaround. But even though Yatse probably sends a wrong command or something, Kodi should not crash because of it.

I don't know what happens in the process, but in the best case Kodi should ignore Yatse's faulty behaviour, or in the worst case give an error message. But crashing back to the desktop points to a Kodi bug.

I reported this issue many, many years ago... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1628474

IMO the problem is a mix between Yatse, and Kodi... Yatse is really nasty at over using Kodis json.. and from my experience (haven't found the root cause) over saturation of kodis json by multiple calls at once can kill Kodi.

I finally fixed my problem by doing two things... I removed all plugins that over use background json calls , for example almost all skin helpers run background calls to json... IMO way more info is being parsed in the background then need be...

Two I consolidated old Mysql database schemes, meaning... if I had Myvideos 90 and Myvideos 70, I removed the old one... Hope that helps.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Still, whatever the cause, I don't think Kodi should be crashing. Perhaps we should get a warning on-screen or whatever, but crashing points to a bug.

Anyway, it doesn't happen very often anymore, either because Yatse has improved or because Krypton is getting better in this regard.

However, Kodi crashed on me just a few minutes ago. I know it's because of Yatse, because it happened immediately after I enabled Wi-Fi on my phone (which runs the app). So, the phone gets Wi-Fi, Yatse knows it can try to connect, then Yatse connects to Kodi (webserver), then Kodi crashes. All in a few seconds.

Here is a debug log: http://pastebin.com/YmPW7miz
Here is kodi_stacktrace-17.0-BETA6 Git_20161120-7285a76-20161203-093412.txt: http://pastebin.com/PXwHQ95T
Here is kodi_crashlog-17.0-BETA6 Git_20161120-7285a76-20161203-093413.dmp: https://we.tl/26gLMFsYJ2

The crash does not always occur, so I can't reliably reproduce it. It just happens once in a while. (In older versions it happened way more often.) That's why my debug isn't really clean; I had been watching TV for some time before I enabled my phone's Wi-Fi.

So, this bug is still open I think: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16656

I would use Kore, but the last time I checked, I could not use it to send YouTube links or video files from my phone to the Kodi htpc. That's why I use Yatse.
Impossible to resist as this post came up from Google Search Sad

But the crash cause is well known: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9986 , Yatse does much more things (and in a way to address some other Kodi issues) than some bad copies, so could trigger this more often, but it's still a Kodi bug that should be addressed Wink

I did add code to try to mitigate the issue from Yatse side, but any JSON consumer can and will trigger the crash.
Ah yes, I see. Thanks for responding. Unfortunately this still happens sometimes (with 17.0 final). Not as often as it used to, but sometimes. I don't really know what else to do. I've already posted quite a bit in the bugtracker and here on the forum.

Tolriq, is there some way to disable Yatse unless the app is opened on the Android device? I really only use it for sending Youtube videos to my Kodi box, and I use a physical remote control for all else. I really like the app, but it's frustrating that Kodi crashes because of it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yatse makes my Kodi Krypton crash1