Can't access boot menu on Asus Chromebox
I have just bought a used Chromebox-M075U. Everything seems fine with it.

I have followed all the instructions to create an Openelec install disc on a USB drive (and backed up the chromeos firmware), but when I rebooted and hit ESc when prompted in order to enter the boot menu, it is as if the ESC key isn't registered and it tries to boot from Hard Disk, but then nothing boots anyway. I have also tried booting to the back up firmware USB.

What can I do to force it to boot to USB?

The only thing that could be considered different is that I don't have the Asus keyboard and I am using a regular wired keyboard, but surely that isn't any different?
from the ever-helpful Chromebox wiki:

Quote:If you see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text but pressing it doesn't work, then the issue is your keyboard, so try using a different one.

The firmware used on the ChromeBox is highly optimized for minimum boot times. That means less than optimal compatibility with that devices which fail to initialize properly within the spec'd time. It doesn't matter if your keyboard is wired or wireless, came with the box or not - all that matters is that it correctly handshakes within the time specified by the USB spec, which unfortunately many do not (and why traditional BIOSes often take as long to POST as the ChromeBox does to fully boot an OS).
Thanks. Does the chromebox use one dongle for both the mouse and the keyboard, or one each? I see there is a keyboard without dongle for sale on eBay.
Are there any generic keyboards you recommend?

Ryan
If you are in the process of installing openelec follow instructions from openelec website on creating boot usb for the 64bit system. I was doing this over and over with no success, then I tried a different usb stick and it worked. Maybe not all are compatible?

Hope this helps
(2015-06-21, 10:56)Ryangodammit Wrote: Thanks. Does the chromebox use one dongle for both the mouse and the keyboard, or one each? I see there is a keyboard without dongle for sale on eBay.
Are there any generic keyboards you recommend?

Ryan

The Chromebox uses whatever you plug into it, it just sees a USB device, doesn't care if multiple peripherals are connected. I use a cheap Logitech K360 (wireless) and it works perfectly (I even have a spare here if someone wants one)

(2015-06-21, 15:21)Newtv Wrote: If you are in the process of installing openelec follow instructions from openelec website on creating boot usb for the 64bit system. I was doing this over and over with no success, then I tried a different usb stick and it worked. Maybe not all are compatible?

Hope this helps

he's getting the boot menu prompt, so the USB stick most likely isn't the issue, his keyboard is. Trying another USB stick wouldn't hurt though, in case this one is preventing the KB from initializing somehow.
I'll give that a try now.

Just tried a new keyboard with no success.

I'll let you know what happens.

All else fails, any other ideas to get it to boot- even just back to chrome?
(2015-06-25, 04:26)Ryangodammit Wrote: I'll give that a try now.

Just tried a new keyboard with no success.

I'll let you know what happens.

All else fails, any other ideas to get it to boot- even just back to chrome?

try redoing the USB boot media - in some rare cases it can cause the keyboard not to work. There's no option besides booting from USB or SD, it's required regardless if you want to install any OS or go back to the stock firmware and ChromeOS
So I tried making a new USB boot disk from the Openelec website (generic 64 bit), but nothing is any different. 2 different openelec boot USBs and a chromeos firmware boot USB, with 2 different keyboards, and they all hang at the press ESC stage saying it is booting from harddisk.

I think I need to bite the bullet and get a chromebox keyboard, but I'm worried it wont work either.

Definitely no other way to physically force it to boot from USB?
(2015-06-25, 09:08)Ryangodammit Wrote: So I tried making a new USB boot disk from the Openelec website (generic 64 bit), but nothing is any different. 2 different openelec boot USBs and a chromeos firmware boot USB, with 2 different keyboards, and they all hang at the press ESC stage saying it is booting from harddisk.

I think I need to bite the bullet and get a chromebox keyboard, but I'm worried it wont work either.

Definitely no other way to physically force it to boot from USB?

there's no guarantee a "chromebox keyboard" whatever that is, would fix the issue. There's a separate thread that lists known working keyboards, linked from the wiki page. Can you provide the make/model of the keyboards you have tried so far?

the only way to default to USB booting is to select that option when flashing the firmware. Since you didn't, you need to manually select from the boot menu.
Thanks Matt.
I'll get back to you with the keyboards I tried, haven't got them in front of me.

Where did you find that list of compatible keyboards? I can't seem to find it.

Do you think I have created the right boot disk? I have tried the lastest stable and the latest beta for the generic 64 bit system
(2015-06-26, 03:36)Ryangodammit Wrote: Thanks Matt.
I'll get back to you with the keyboards I tried, haven't got them in front of me.

Where did you find that list of compatible keyboards? I can't seem to find it.

Do you think I have created the right boot disk? I have tried the lastest stable and the latest beta for the generic 64 bit system

keyboard list: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211797

if you downloaded the Generic 64-bit disk image version (either stable or beta is fine), and used Win32DiskImager to write it to USB, then yes you did it properly
Must be the keyboard then.

Looks like I need to buy another, I'll try one on the list and let you know

Digitech - XC5172
Genius - 1060C186

I posted them on the keyboard list thread too
hello Ryangodammit any look yet? can you please let me know if you found a keyboard that works i have the same problem
Yes. I got the Microsoft all in one media keyboard. Worked perfect

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't access boot menu on Asus Chromebox0