Playing DVDs on OpenELEC
Hi,

Apologies if this is a FAQ. I did look but couldn't find anything that helped me.

I have an external USB DVD drive plugged into my Pi 2. I have added max_usb_current=1 to my config.txt to make sure there is enough power for the DVD drive.

However, I am getting very mixed success. If I have a DVD in the drive when I boot, I then get a home screen shortcut to 'Play DVD' (using Titan - nothing with Confluence), and it very occasionally works with commercial DVDs. Obviously these are encrypted.

If I don't have a DVD in the drive when I boot, then inserting the DVD afterwards does not bring up any options to play the DVD. If I go to 'files' I can sometimes see the DVD, but hitting 'play' does not play it.

I am using a Milhouse OpenELEC build from a couple of days ago.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mark
Can you post dmesg output and debug log (wiki) after a failed attempt?

Can you try through a powered USB hub?
I'm not sure how much current the drive will take, and even max_usb_current=1 may not be enough.
Hi,

I think you are right about the power. I don't have a powered hub, but I moved the USB cable to a different port, so that it is to the side of my USB remote receiver rather than both being on the same side (if that makes sense!). It all works fine.

So, thanks for the suggestion. I will get a powered hub.

Next question relating to DVD. I am planning to put my Pi inside a micro ITX case with a slot loading DVD drive. This would be a SATA drive with a USB to SATA bridge. The drive would not have an accessible eject button. Is it possible to eject a DVD from Kodi?

Thanks,

Mark
I don't use a DVD drive, but it looks like there is an "eject/load" option in the gui:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1416163

Does that work for you?
(2015-06-21, 16:28)popcornmix Wrote: I don't use a DVD drive, but it looks like there is an "eject/load" option in the gui:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1416163

Does that work for you?

Using Titan, I had to mess around with the menu a little, but the short answer is that it works.

So, USB DVD drive, MPEG2 license (probably not necessary but can't hurt) and a bit of skin tweaking and I've got it all working perfectly.

For the benefit of anyone wanting to do the same, in Titan I added a menu item called 'DVD' and then set a custom action of 'submenu' so it simply opened the sub menu. The sub menu then has two items 'Play DVD' and 'Eject Tray'. This was the only way I could get the submenu to work in this skin.

So, fingers crossed I can fit the Pi, a USB hub and a DVD drive inside my micro ITX case and have a complete HTPC in one box.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing DVDs on OpenELEC0