EPG
I currently have a raspberry pi running openelec with TVheadend and I use it as both the frontend and backend. I am using my HDhomerun HDHR3-US as my tuner with an Mpeg2 license and I am able to view live TV. I am having difficulties configuring EPG. I ran mc2xml.exe and selected my zip code and it generated two files xmltv and mc2xml. After this point things did not go smooth.

I pointed tvheadend at xmltv file in openelec but I still do not get a grid guide. I followed the directions from https://tvheadend.org/boards/14/topics/4798 and I am still getting nothing. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
I got it to work and I inserted xmltv and mc2xml and tvheadend read it. I populated the EPG Guide and it shows on my Raspberry Pi in openelec.
How do I make certain that my programing guide stays up to date? Now that I have completed that and my list was created using mc2xml how do I keep the programing guide updated? Do I need to repeat this process every week or so?
Thanks,
I just recently sorted out this process myself. You'll need to run task scheduler to run mc2xml.exe on a daily or weekly basis. I run mine at 4:00am every night. I then run a 2nd task at 4:10am that opens winscp.exe, which will connect to your pi and copy over the updated xmltv file that mc2xml produces. See my post here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229842 Other members gave me a couple other ideas in that post that may be a more direct solution, but creating the necessary bat files and tasks was actually pretty quick and painless.
Isn't mc2xml available for Linux too? That way you wouldn't have to do the copying back and forth. OpenElec has cron installed (you may need to enable it from "OpenElec settings") which means you can schedule things to run at defined times.
Yep, I forgot to mention installing the linux version as another option too.
Thanks for the suggestions but if I understand it right I need to purchase mc2xml compiled for the pi2 arm.
Also
I do like using Winsock but I don't have any experience with it. I played with it a little but I don't entirely understand how it works. The idea is get however. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(2015-06-22, 22:34)drhoeh Wrote: I got it to work and I inserted xmltv and mc2xml and tvheadend read it. I populated the EPG Guide and it shows on my Raspberry Pi in openelec.
How do I make certain that my programing guide stays up to date? Now that I have completed that and my list was created using mc2xml how do I keep the programing guide updated? Do I need to repeat this process every week or so?
Thanks,

I am very new to the Raspberry Pi and KODI. I am a retired electrical engineer, so I have some Visual Basic programming experience, but am new to the Linux world. I, like many others am trying to set up an all in one PVR using the Raspberry Pi 2. I would like to use it to replace the DVR I built years ago that uses Windows 7 and Windows Media Center. I currently have a Hauppauge 950Q USB Tuner connected to the Raspberry Pi and have managed to get Live TV broadcasts, but have had no luck whatsoever in getting some type of EPG set up so that I can set up a recording schedule. Would you possibly have time to elaborate a little on how you "got it to work"? I apologize in advance, but your response may lead to many more questions since this is all so new to me.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
I used your idea of task scheduling but instead of using winscp I used synctoy. It seems to work for now and I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks again.
(2015-06-28, 20:51)rodelco Wrote:
(2015-06-22, 22:34)drhoeh Wrote: I got it to work and I inserted xmltv and mc2xml and tvheadend read it. I populated the EPG Guide and it shows on my Raspberry Pi in openelec.
Thanks,

I am very new to the Raspberry Pi and KODI. I am a retired electrical engineer, so I have some Visual Basic programming experience, but am new to the Linux world. I, like many others am trying to set up an all in one PVR using the Raspberry Pi 2. I would like to use it to replace the DVR I built years ago that uses Windows 7 and Windows Media Center. I currently have a Hauppauge 950Q USB Tuner connected to the Raspberry Pi and have managed to get Live TV broadcasts, but have had no luck whatsoever in getting some type of EPG set up so that I can set up a recording schedule. Would you possibly have time to elaborate a little on how you "got it to work"? I apologize in advance, but your response may lead to many more questions since this is all so new to me.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

That's okay we are all figuring this thing out together. I am a social studies of 12 years, so I am really out of my element. I wanted to take on this project during summer break as something to do.

This is how I setup EPG using my PC and Raspberry PI running Openelec and TVheadend. I may be wrong but, it worked for me.
On PC
1. Create a folder on your pc and name it mc2xml and open it.
2. Put a copy of tv_grab_file.xmltv and a copy of mc2xml.exe into the folder.
3. Run mc2xml.exe, put in zip code and wait. It will create a mc2xml.dat and xmltv.xml.
4. Once finished copy the file into the raspberry pi. I put it in download.
Raspberry Pi Openelec/Kodi
5. System--->Settings--->Add-ons---->enabled add-ons---->services---->tvheadend---->config
6. Change XMLTV to configuration to folder on the Pi and select xmltv.xml. On my system it looks like this "/storage/downloads/xmltv.xml"
7. Reboot Raspberry Pi
Tv Headend / PC
8. On web-browser go to IP address:9981
9. Go to configuration--->channel EPG ---->EPG Grabber and look in internal grabber and module. You should see a long file in it, that is your EPG. Now wait for the data to populate.
Auto updating
In order to keep the programming guide up to date I used the first folder called mc2xml and sync'd it with the same folder in the raspberry PI using synctoy. I then setup task scheduler to start mc2xml.exe on my windows pc to start at 10am and then synctoy to start at 11:00 everyday. That way both are always up to date.

I hope that helps
drhoeh: Thank you so much for your reply. I was close to this once before, but I think that I failed to reboot the Raspberry Pi, and I didn't look in the Internal Grabber drop down! So this is definitely progress, but I guess I still don't have a very clear understanding of how the overall system should be working. I looked at the System Log from the TVHeadend Web UI, and now I see these lines, which I never saw before:

2015-06-29 11:51:43.358 htsp: 127.0.0.1: Welcomed client software: Kodi Media Center (HTSPv12)
2015-06-29 11:51:44.066 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: grab took 2 seconds
2015-06-29 11:51:44.465 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: parse took 0 seconds
2015-06-29 11:51:44.466 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: channels tot= 37 new= 0 mod= 0
2015-06-29 11:51:44.466 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: brands tot= 0 new= 0 mod= 0
2015-06-29 11:51:44.466 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: seasons tot= 0 new= 0 mod= 0
2015-06-29 11:51:44.466 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: episodes tot= 0 new= 0 mod= 0
2015-06-29 11:51:44.466 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.tvheadend/bin/tv_grab_file: broadcasts tot= 0 new= 0 mod= 0

So, it looks like it found listings for 37 channels in my area (I selected the Microsoft Legacy option when I ran the mc2xml.exe file and selected "Digital Terrestrial Lineup" for OTA broadcasts).

I waited for a while, then went back to my OpenElec system, but when I click on "Guide" under "TV" on the main menu, the "TV - Guide - Timeline - All Channels" screen shows NO listings.

Is this where I should be looking for the TV Guide information, or is it somewhere else?

Also, step 2 of your instructions say to put a copy of "tv_grab_file.xmltv" ... into the folder, but I could only locate a "tv_grab_file" (no .xmltv extension) on the Google Code site. Is that part of my problem?

Again, thank you so much for your patience and assistance!
Rodelco, disregard the part drhoeh said about putting tv_grab_file.xmltv in your pc's folder w/ the mc2xml.exe. Not needed. The tv_grab_file (which yes, is the internal grabber listed in the drop down) you found on google code site is built into tvheadend, no need to do anything w/ it.

In drhoeh's step 3, the .dat file is mc2xml's settings file, i.e. the zip code/digital terrestrial lineup/etc. stuff that you selected when you first ran mc2xml. The other file now in this same folder is the xmltv file that mc2xml creates for you. This one contains your EPG info. You can name it whatever you want, but it's probably easiest to just stick w/ what mc2xml autonames it, i.e. xmltv.xml or whatever. This is the file you need to copy over to your Pi in step 4. This is also the file that you want to update daily via task scheduler so you always have new show schedules. I'd go through drhoeh's steps 3 through 9 until you get tv listings in OpenElec visible, then move on to his last paragraph about task scheduling mc2xml and using synctoy or winscp to do step 4 for you automatically. HTH.
brohawk, Thank you for pitching in to help me out! When I created my first post, I had updated to the 5.95.2 release of OpenElec because I just could not get things to work with the 5.0.8 release initially. I was getting further with the 5.95.2 release, and the Live TV looked and worked just fine. After having this trouble getting the Guide to work, I decided to try starting over with what I have learned with the 5.0.8 (stable) release.

The good news is that with the help that I have received here, I got the EPG to show up in OpenElec! Very cool! Now, I am back to having video/audio problems with the Live TV broadcasts however. I am seeing errors like these in the System Log:

2015-06-29 22:39:04.047 TS: HuskersOTA/575.028MHz/KCWE-DT Transport error indicator (total 24150)
2015-06-29 22:39:05.087 TS: HuskersOTA/575.028MHz/KCWE-DT: MPEG2VIDEO @ #49 Continuity counter error (total 5891)
2015-06-29 22:39:11.306 TS: HuskersOTA/575.028MHz/KCWE-DT: AC3 @ #52 Continuity counter error (total 870)
2015-06-29 22:39:13.629 TS: HuskersOTA/575.028MHz/KCWE-DT: AC3 @ #53 Continuity counter error (total 1021)
2015-06-29 22:39:15.250 TS: HuskersOTA/575.028MHz/KCWE-DT Transport error indicator (total 24764)
2015-06-29 22:39:15.444 pass-pat: invalid checksum (len 4, errors 94)

Any ideas on what is causing these types of errors?

Thanks so much. I would not be making any progress without your help.
Glad to hear!! I'm afraid I'm probably out of my element for any audio/video issues, but my first thought; did you re-add your mpeg codec to your advancedsettings file after the reinstall? If yes and you're still having problems, hopefully one of the devs here can chime in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
EPG0