Merge sortoption (Titel chanched! (old in the Edit) - Hope its ok.)
How Long do we have to wait till XBMC Kodi is able to Sort Music by Date Added (Filedate)?

Just wondering!

Nearly every other Software Player is able to sort Music by Date Added, except of Kodi!

Even Mediaportal does it!

There were already several Feature Request which requested this Feature.

Here For example

(Montelese told there, that it would be possible, but won’t make it in to the Next release (Frodo).)
Now more Than 2 Years later, we are on Helix and nearing Isengard, and still nothing!
So How long do we Have to wait till Kodi offers a Feature which lots of software Player already supports since Years??

Are there May any Problems where You Guys need Help??

I though I where patient by Waiting more Than 2 Years!! For a Function others do since a Long Time!

So whats Up?? What's the matter?

XBMC/Kodi does a great Job in other sections but as soon it comes to Basic Functions in other than Video Sections the Team simply seems to ...!
It drives me nuts to see a in general gr8 piece of software which lacks in such imo. "Basic" Stuff.

Don’t misunderstand me I realy Like Kodi, but this drives me nuts!

EDIT: Sry for haf asked that way!
My two cents as a non-dev on the team:

It's easy to lose track of things or put them on the back burner when there are so many other things to do, fix, and add. There are several features that one could argue are basic or fundamental, but that doesn't make the other to-do items go away.

Combine this with the fact that the music library is long over due for a tuneup. Some devs might think this feature won't be worth adding now since they might have to do it again when the other library changes go in. If you only have so much free time to work on Kodi, then it makes sense that you wouldn't want to do something twice.
Demanding, swearing and sounding like a crazy person won't make it better.

There's simply no active developer interested in working on the audio part. Once you start in there everyone thinks you're responsible. I made the mistake once and since i am not using the audio part at all, i am clearly the wrong person to work in there.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-06-22, 01:00)Rantanplan-1 Wrote: So whats Up?? What's the matter?

Well i think i have written this multiple times now but maybe i need to be more clear here. Once people are requesting features and its not done - even after years the requesters can be pretty sure that just no-one cares. (that includes YOU community people - i doubt that there are no developers in our community which would be able to dig into the code and make those features happen).

So blame it on the overall mass of developers (team and non-team members). Ohh i don't care about this feature too btw. And if i was you and would be going nuts for 2 years - i definitly would have quit using the project (nahh just kidding - if i was in this situation i would have coded it myself Wink ).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-06-22, 12:08)mkortstiege Wrote: There's simply no active developer interested in working on the audio part.
Sad To hear.

(2015-06-22, 12:08)mkortstiege Wrote: Once you start in there everyone thinks you're responsible. I made the mistake once and since i am not using the audio part at all, i am clearly the wrong person to work in there.
Sad to hear that to.
So it would need someone with "nuts" to tell i do this request and not more.
(I understand that this isnt a easy task! And Could bring some troubles with it!!)
So i wont blame anyone who did this desicion for himself.)

Im not Happy about this behavier, but i get the Point.

(2015-06-22, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: Well i think i have written this multiple times now but maybe i need to be more clear here. Once people are requesting features and its not done - even after years the requesters can be pretty sure that just no-one cares.
that’s the feel that I’ve get, but as I’m not to close to the Team I didn’t have any Idea why!
(Things become clearer now.)

(2015-06-22, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: (that includes YOU community people - i doubt that there are no developers in our community which would be able to dig into the code and make those features happen).
So blame it on the overall mass of developers (team and non-team members). Ohh i don't care about this feature too btw.
As I use Kodi as an Entertainment Centre with most it got to offer I was Hoping there would be a Interest to have lets call it "basic function" available at other than the Video section to.
Kodi is in general Great. (Otherwise I wouldn’t start this tread and just don’t care about "missing" features). I enjoy sending Pictures from my Smartphone to Kodi to show them on the Big Screen, Playing Youtubevids from My "Smart" to Kodi or directly in Kodi, I like to Showing a Slideshow of my Fav Pictures while listening to Music, Listening to Webradio, and so on!!, and Listening of course in general to my Music to. (Albums Sampler, Single tracks and sometimes to some Mixes, & Static Playlists to.) Got a Video Library to.

(2015-06-22, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: And if i was you and would be going nuts for 2 years - i definitly would have quit using the projec.
Jer i was close to that Point, or at least at the Point where i stop to care (and fore some time maby already nearly over it). But to say it Clear Kodi is the imo. Best Mediacenter-software uut there these days from my Point of view. (And as far i knew al available ones.)
Did already try Mediaportal WMC, Plex and lately Medi OS to.

Fore me personal none of them comes close to Kodi. (Which defnetly speaks for You Guys.)

And from my Point of view it didnt need much to bring it closer to perfection.

(2015-06-22, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: nahh just kidding - if i was in this situation i would have coded it myself Wink.
If i could i guess i would Wink But i've got no! C++ Skils.

I was starting this tread with the Hope in mind we can finde a Solution.

Why not Ask for Help?

I remember some time ago a Request Tread Pops up which requested "Hangouts" for offering an Easy way for new developers to Jump in (couldnt finde the Tread sry.).

I thought this could be a god Idea (Not just to find one who cares about Music section related Feature requests, just in general to offer a better Start in to the Coding World of Kodi and let Interested Peoples knew where Help is needed.

I recently read a statement from "ronie" after a feature Request from "Hitcher" about i thik it was "autowidth for buttons" where he said "this would need someone with Guilib Skills and we currently have no one in the Team..."

This could be something which could make it in such a Forum Section.
and is Imho. a god Example where such a Hangout Section could become Handy.

(I've got already an Idea How something like this could look like. But would like to Focus on the Idea itself first.)

Of course it wouldn’t be a guaranty that this works and Helps, but I guess something like this would be worth a Try.

You already got a "get involved" Button on the Blog-Page

What about to have a Link there, which Guide to a Sub forum where you list things where you need help?

As a Example Let’s say :
-"Person with Guilib skills needed" - as a Tread title, and in the Tread a Description what has to be done and maybe where to start.
In the Same Manner "Person with C++ Skills wanted to migrate "Sort by Date Added" to the Music section.

If I / we're lucky we may find this way someone who likes to care a bit more on the Music Section to.

I don’t say this is the Solution which solves all Problems, but it could may be a starting Point and may its worth a try.

To take the example up about the Guilib Skilled Guy needed.

I Guess the Chances are small to none; someone with Guilib Skills read that particular (the above mentioned) Tread, and decides to make this request happen.
But may there are such peoples out there and tows should imho. Get a chance to be a Part of Kodi and Help make it evan Better!!.

So the suggestion is to make it easier for Peoples to jump in Kodi code and getting part of it.
(Thats a Way i would see we may could sort this issues.

As I’m not a C++ Coder at least I can try to help with Ideas how things could be done better.
I hope its heard.

If this works we may get one Day the option to sort Music by Date Added (File date) and maybe better Static Playlist support, and so on.

As I’m not part of the Team all I can do is hope that there is a will to care.

So; did write a lot and Hope I was able to share the thoughts well enough as English isn’t my native language, and it isn’t always easy to argue in a different Language.

May this Idea is abel to open the door for better support for non Video or PVR relatet topics.

Regards
I've put in the same request over many years & a few hours a go accidentally again without seeing this thread.

But as I suspected because of the lack of music database improvements and reading this, it's a case of "If you want it that badly, Code it yourself"

Im no Dev, so I'll have to wait and hope someday it will be implemented, along with everyone else who wants it.
(2015-06-23, 05:52)buges Wrote: I suspected because of the lack of music database improvements and reading this, it's a case of "If you want it that badly, Code it yourself"

Im no Dev, so I'll have to wait and hope someday it will be implemented, along with everyone else who wants it.
You can follow this developers project thread to read about some of the dependencies and development needed:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200911

If the work being developed there gets added to Kodi mainline then library filters like this gets easier to add.
Ohh btw - i think in this special case its not only about "don't care" but also about the fact that each of our platform handles file dates differently. There was a huge (i mean HUGE!) discussion about sorting the "recently added" movies by file date. The problem is that it is not clear which date is changed when (we have file creation date, file changed date and a third one i don't remember).

The problem is that some filesystems can be configured to not alter the one or the other date. NTFS on windows somehow behaved different in another way. All in all it was a problem with extracting rar files which preserved file creation date on some filesytems (this means that recently added was sorted by the time the files where rar'ed instead of when they were extracted).

At the end there are still complains from people where the "sort by date added" based on the filesystem entries doesn't work correctly in some circumstences.

This is a can of worms which is annoying for devs which have spent time into something that sounded trivial and was put to bikeshed by the fact that so many filesystem / operating system differences are existing. (the reasons for those differences are clear too - its mostly about keeping the write count low on some filesytems for reducing the wear of the hardware - thats why one can disable the update of the "file changed" timestamp for example).

So its as usual. It sounds easy for some users. But only developers know that it might not. Of course its also annoying to write something like this down all the time - so in the end it most likely results in an "patches welcome - do it yourself" or "no one is interested, no one cares".
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
DISCLAIMER: I'm not part of team kodi, I just thought freshing up my c++ and having a look behind the scenes of my favorite media center would be fun.

Compiled kodi from source for the first time yesterday. I think I got the sort running, at least on windows, but then I went on and struggled for hours with displaying the date added in the list that is sorted. Wasn't able to fix this yet.
To be honest, I don't really care for the feature itself, but I thought it might be a nice starting point (to learn). Keep in mind, this means virtually nothing, as this might never see the light of day, work on all platforms, be merged or anything.
There's simply nothing to display even though the albums table/view has a field called dateAdded. It's never filled.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-06-23, 14:06)mkortstiege Wrote: There's simply nothing to display even though the albums table/view has a field called dateAdded. It's never filled.

That makes me question even more why the sorting seems to be correct.

Well I end up with 1600/XX/XX or something like that.
But I figured it should be in this field, I know I know nothing, but what is this then?
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/5737b0...tem.h#L454
(2015-06-23, 14:28)Razze Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 14:06)mkortstiege Wrote: There's simply nothing to display even though the albums table/view has a field called dateAdded. It's never filled.

But I figured it should be in this field, I know I know nothing, but what is this then?

Are we talking about sorting file items in list view or in library nodes? As for the files node, the directory implementations are responsible to fill that value. When it comes to the actual library view, all this information is fetched from the datasets and used to create the CFileItem object based on the MusicInfoTag.
(2015-06-23, 14:34)mkortstiege Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 14:28)Razze Wrote:

Are we talking about sorting file items in list view or in library nodes? As for the files node, the directory implementations are responsible to fill that value. When it comes to the actual library view, all this information is fetched from the datasets and used to create the CFileItem object based on the MusicInfoTag.

I think the library view. I guessed this (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/5737b0...ng.cpp#L79) part is mixing results of the MusicInfoTag and the CFileItem it gets passed. So we could get the dateAdded from CFileItem?
It's not that easy as CFileItem is not CFileItem. The one is build from tags, the other one is a kinda "real" CFileItem provided by the directory implementation.
it seems harder than i tought

I thought all which have to be done is thaken the "Sort by Date" (File-Date) Part from The Video-section, and adapt it to the Music section. (As the from Memphis mentioned dificulties by Handling the File Date arleady has been sortet out there.)

The only difficulties i saw is how to Handle it for Albums (Shuld there been thaken the "Foldercreation-Date" or the Filedate of the First Song in it?)

I tought this could be the Hard Part.

Sorry

---
@Razze:
Not shure if this Helps (Maby you already knew about this behavior) However: There are Two Levels (File and DB-Level) each one act a bit different (On File-level (Non DB) The Infos are extracted directly from The Tag in real Time by opening a Folder with Music in it. By Using the DB Mode the Lists get there infos from the DB (according DBID i guess).

----
@RockerC:
Jer i knew About the Tread about the new DB Structure which you mentioned.
But from my Point of view it doesnt make a difference which DB Struckture Kodi uses, as the Filedate have to be catched by Kodi , and then write it to the DB,
so i guess it doesnt make much differece which DB structure is used. (Correct me if im Wrong).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Merge sortoption (Titel chanched! (old in the Edit) - Hope its ok.)0