Please Help! Cannot Upgrade out of XBMC
Hello! I'm hoping that someone can help me with my issue. I have XBMCBuntu 13.0 on a Zotac Zbox Nano AD10. Recently my box stopped connecting to the internet and I can't seem to find any of the options for configuring my internet, so I did research and the selections that I should make within XBMC are plain missing. On top of that I cannot get back into the Ubuntu interface either. So, I figured that I might as well update to Kodi and start fresh. I have nothing on the box aside from the OS anyway. However, I cannot get any boot image to load up for me. I changed the boot order to USB and DVD drive. I've used USB and optical disc, but either the computer doesn't recognize the presence of a boot image or goes into a black screen with a blinking cursor that won't respond to any input. I've tried KobiBuntu, XBMCBuntu, Darik's Boot And Nuke, Ubuntu Live - nothing works. I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.
So do you have any Kodibuntu or XBMCbuntu installed?

Kodibuntu (wiki) <- read this how to get to the desktop environment and how to upgrade your installation. Inside this environment you can open a terminal and enter the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and follow the messages on the screen.

It might be that you don´t get the expected version, iff it is like that please do the following command, too (BUT first do the commands above):

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You will find the network settings in this desktop environment as well. So if you are in need to change anything, you can do it there. If you can´t get to the desktop environment, please explain exactly at which point you get stuck.
Thanks for the response David1977. I have XBMCBuntu 13.0. I managed to get a terminal open by hitting CTRL+ALT+F1 and typed the first line of code with a bunch of "failed to fetch" lines and 'Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead. I'm not sure that I'm connecting to the internet though. I tried to ping 192.168.1.1 and it just hung up. How can I get to the desktop environment?
Stop xbmc

If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:How can I get to the desktop environment?

Which of the screenshots at the Wiki I linked you to, are hard to understand? Wink

Sometimes it helps to read wiki carefully! Wink

But if didn't get a response from 192.168.1.1 (which normally should be your router) then you have other problems. Check cables and if they are properly connected to the router If you are using WiFi plug in a cable instead. Switch cables if neccessary. You need an internet connection to update your machine. Otherwise it won't work. The first check (to ping your router) is ok...but you absolutely need a response from it. If you got a response then you can try to ping a website:

Code:
ping www.kodi.tv

As you can't pastebin something from the machine could you please make a screenshot (maybe take your smartphone for this) after you see the output from:

Code:
ifconfig

and

Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces

then we have a little view how your network is configured or if it gets an IP from the router at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please Help! Cannot Upgrade out of XBMC0