Linux Seg Fault on load, no recent add-ons or changes
Per Ubuntu 15.04 Settings | Details:
-----------------------------------------------
Memory: 11.6 GiB
Procesor: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor × 6
Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE PRO (RADEON HD 7750 / R7 250E)
OS Type: 64-bit
Disk: 16.5 TB

Per kodi.log:
-----------------
NOTICE: Starting Kodi (15.0-BETA2 Git:daedd5f). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x64 build
NOTICE: Kodi compiled Jun 15 2015 by GCC 4.9.2 for Linux x86 64-bit version 3.19.8 (201480)
NOTICE: Running on Ubuntu 15.04, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 3.19.0-21-generic

Install Method:
ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

Display: HDMI 1920x1080

Skin: Box/Neon/Confluence
(crash appears to be skin independent)

Details:
Immediately upon start, KODI crashes, and reports the following back to the terminal:
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This has actually happened twice.

KODI has been running with no issues since fresh install of Ubuntu 15.04 in April 2015, and then with no recent changes to either KODI or to the computer or OS, the above seg fault first occurred on Jun 3. Indications of a hard shutdown and subsequent suspicion of OS-level dirty state permissions problems prompted the following steps in order:

remove .kodi directory (no improvement)
apt-get purge kodi, followed by reinstall (no improvement)
new Ubuntu user created (KODI ran without error)

In the processes above, the error was first seen with skin Box and then with Confluence after removing .kodi directory
The new Ubuntu user now uses skin Neon

No errors seen since Jun 3 until suddenly on Jun 21, the identical problem resurfaced, prompting the following steps in order:

remove .kodi directory (no improvement)
apt-get purge kodi, followed by reinstall (no improvement)
new Ubuntu user created (NO IMPROVEMENT THIS TIME)

The Jun 21 issue was absolutely not related to a power outage, but was noticed within minutes of having switched the tv to a different HDMI source and then back, and my kids tell me the video signal took "suspiciously long" to wake up upon switching back. It's not known if KODI was running or not at this time. Computer does not sleep, but does turn off display after 1 hour of idle. I've never before enabled "turn off display" until my Ubuntu 15.04 install; screen has previously simply stayed awake always, but the damn kids keep forgetting to turn off the tv when they are done. This being the one and only Ubuntu display setting I've changed in the years I've been running XBMC/KODI, I'm suspicious of it.

At this time, I am unable to get KODI to run by any means. I have tried switching to proprietary Radeon drivers with no improvement, so swtiched back to recommended drivers.

Otherwise, system runs completely normally. Video runs without issue in all other video players, and no errors are noticed in any way in any other area of the system.

LOGS:
------------
kodi.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/11759604/
backtrace: http://paste.ubuntu.com/11759606/

I'm not above performing a full Ubuntu reinstall if necessary, but I'm worried that this issue may reproduce itself in the future, so I've decided to see if anyone here can help me figure out what is happening.
Quote:18:39:05 T:139836214966208 NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
18:39:05 T:139836214966208 NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 128 bits)
18:39:05 T:139836214966208 NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 3.0 Mesa 10.5.2
18:39:05 T:139836214966208 NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.30

Your gpu drivers are non existent.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Missing: xserver-xorg-video-radeon and mesa-vdpau-drivers ?

Also post dmesg | pastebinit - the might be some nastiness left, if you had run fglrx nightmare before.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So you suspect something about a power outage and/or screen sleep / HDMI switch is causing drivers to get dropped or corrupted? I'll see if I can reinstall the ones you listed above.

Here's dmesg:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/11763572/

Seriously, if you could even just toss out a theory of what might be happening, I'd appreciate it. I don't know what to think.
OK, xserver-xorg-video-radeon said it was already the newest version.
mesa-vdpau-drivers installed fine.

No change when running kodi. :-(

Is another kodi.log and backtrace needed?
yes
From the above driver output, it seems you are not in video group then.

Post id | pastebinit and /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Well I'll be damned. adduser beast video did the trick.

I'll forever be perplexed about the many weeks of this install working, and then it suddenly not. Should I suspect a change somewhere in kodi, somewhere in my system, or that somehow I was once in the video group, and was dropped from it during a hard shutdown?

Who knows. In any event, you guys are awesome. Can you show me the line(s) that I should have picked up on to see that I wasn't in the video group?

BTW, I was about 2 minutes from starting a full reinstall. Just got all my important sys config files backed up, and thought... "OH YEAH... I need to check that thread again..."

Thanks a ton everyone.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2036072 <- 2 possibilites:

a) Driver missing
b) SW Decoding only, cause of permission issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Seg Fault on load, no recent add-ons or changes0