Req Sets for TV Shows
Grouping in one Container is doable via Tags.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2015-06-25, 11:00)mkortstiege Wrote:
(2015-06-24, 18:20)mkortstiege Wrote: IMO that's now how tags should be used. Having yet another option that manipulates the listing (CFileItemList) feels wrong to me.

(2015-06-24, 20:29)annomatik Wrote: If that can be pulled off without showing those "virtual tags" in the actual tags session and making them look like the movie sets, that would be a big win :-)

Read Wink If it's up to me, no. Since this is a feature that is "only" used by power users, we should not add yet another setting that manipulated the actual listing. You can create custom video nodes or use Smartplaylists to group by tag.

I fully understand not wanting to support more than one method that does a similar thing, so would it at all be possible to merge the the concept of sets and tags thus going forward we only support tags so the sets (TMDB collections) data from the scraper is used to generate movie tags, then you would only need one manipulation method to get either movie tags or tv show tags into the standard listings.
What if we looked at it a different way and allowed for something like tags to be entries in the library? Like a single tag could be flagged to show up in the TV show library as a folder, as if it was a TV show itself. It's really just a shortcut to that specific tag. Then people can choose if they want to filter out the show itself using nodes, or if they want it to appear in both (or multiple) tags and the node itself.
Or, a tag could become something more abstract and get a "class". For example, a tag having a "tv show set" class would mean, that it contains tv shows and is shown, when "Group tv shows in sets" is checked in Settings - Videos - Library. Also, it would be shown in Videos - TV shows - Sets. Both would replicate the "movies" behavior.
(2015-06-26, 04:04)annomatik Wrote: Or, a tag could become something more abstract and get a "class". For example, a tag having a "tv show set" class would mean, that it contains tv shows and is shown, when "Group tv shows in sets" is checked in Settings - Videos - Library. Also, it would be shown in Videos - TV shows - Sets. Both would replicate the "movies" behavior.

What if you wanted to group tv shows and also any related movies (eg. Stargate TV show and Stargate movies)? Going further, you might also want to include the soundtrack of the movies if you happen to have that album in your music library etc.

My point being, a tag probably shouldn't be a "movie" tag or a "tvshow" tag, or (in future, if the music db is ever updated) an "album" tag. It's just a simple element that groups any type of related media together.

The tag members can then be shown in their entirety irrespective of "class" (ie. movie, tvshow, album all shown together) or filtered according to the current view (eg. only tvshow tag members listed in the TV node) without assigning any further information to the tag itself.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Yes, that's a very good idea. And maybe at some point, there will be also a possibility of adding "paper cartoons" (like e.g. the comic magazines for the tv show Regular Show). I don't really understand the "border" between tv shows and movies anyway, I have duplicate tags, duplicate actors, etc.
So, almost 6 months and 2 major versions later (I've used Kodi 14.2 when I wrote that, now we have the alpha version of Kodi 16)...

What's the current status on "sets for TV shows"?
I guess nobody is interested in making the changes you think should be made (or see post #6).

I've just re-read this thread, and I'm still not sure what you want to change or think needs to be changed - tvshows have tags. What exactly is missing?

Adding a a "Sets" node for TV Shows doesn't seem likely to happen, mostly because it's not really something most people need, is it? If you want to group tvshows, use tags and smartplaylists, which is existing functionality.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I think the end game is to be able to browse TV shows and not have five entries for Star Trek, but have one "Star Trek" set/folder that then shows all of those shows. This is currently not possible, even though the data to group the shows somehow is there.

The closest thing we have so far is that we can now rename seasons away from "Season 1, season 2, etc". They can now have specific names. So if you have a series of single season shows, then you can easily group them (anime fans rejoice). However, most shows I think people would want to group have multiple seasons. CSI, NCIS, Star Trek, Law and Order, House Hunters, Stargate, etc.

At one point someone was working on TV show sets. I forget who, though.
(2015-12-05, 23:13)Ned Scott Wrote: I think the end game is to be able to browse TV shows and not have five entries for Star Trek, but have one "Star Trek" set/folder that then shows all of those shows. This is currently not possible, even though the data to group the shows somehow is there.

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. That's functionality existing for movies, but not for tv shows. It's also possible to show just, to keep that example, e.g. a "James Bond collection" instead of the 24 single James Bond movies -- just by flipping the "group movies in sets" switch. A "group movies in tags" would not make any sense to me -- like a "group tv shows in tags" would not make any sense to me.

On the other hand, having a "Storage Wars collection" instead of "Storage Wars California", "Storage Wars NY", "Storage Wars Miami", "Storage Wars Texas", etc. would make a lot of sense, especially if there was a "group tv shows in sets" switch, like for movies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sets for TV Shows1