MPEG2-TS, WMC, HDHomerun issues
First let me state I have actually fixed my issue.

So my server was win7 with WMC and running a HDHR4-US hdhomerun using OTA signals and running a mix of clients, however mostly win 7 pc's. After a while I start getting severe buffering issues and even eventually gets so bad I can't tune to channel. I can clear caches and reset things and all works well for a while.

Based on my testing I believe the problem is related to the HDhomerun and the Mpeg2-ts files it outputs. Somehow maybe the files our corrupting, or maybe my clients for whatever reason don't like the incomplete files? And the issue seems to be isolated to Live tv. Recordings always play fine. I can play both the completed TS and WTV files w/o issue. However if the TS file has not be completed it all bombs if it is long enough. I would love to know what the issue is if anyone has any ideas. Also I was wondering if anyone knows if this is limited to WMC or if maybe WMC is causing it somewhere.

With that said I actually resolved the issue. Being that my exposure to incomplete TS files is limited to live tv through the HDHR4, I went and purchased the HDTC-2US. You know the one that will live transcode to H.264 on the fly. I have not had a single buffering issue in the past 2 days it has been connected. .

Only reason I am posting this is was hoping some of you may have some thoughts on what may have been causing my issues. Smile
Even when you switched to the new tuner - that I assume you have set to automatically generate h264 - swmc is still producing/streaming ts files (unless you are running in dlna mode). Was is only remote clients that were having this issue? if so, could it be your network speed that was causing the problem?

I am curious what settings you are running under, so if you get a chance please post your serverwmc log on pastebin and put a link to it here.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Sorry for delay in reply. Actually the files being produced are definitely H.264 and it is nicer having the smaller files. When I got some time I sat down and started picking part logs and my setup to see what I could figure out. to keep it short, It seemed the issue turned out to be an issue recording to my Primary drive which was a SSD (Don't know if the issue is the drive, controller or something else). To prove my theory I went and purchased a USB 3 drive and plugged it in and changed that to my recording drive and started using the HDHR4 again for a while. Went a few days of play and record and put things through the paces and no problems. I changed the recording back to the SSD again and it was good for several hours, Then bam could barely play anything and nothing I could do seemed to get it to behave. Went back to the USB 3 drive and no problems since. Now I need to hook back up the other hd homerun and see how things hang.

Actually I need to re-config my setup, But I may go ahead and start recording to my NAS. Maybe I should have done that from the start, But I was never sure how the network and NAs would handle the large files and bandwidth required for the constant 2 stream recording of the HDHR4. Do any of you have a HDHR4 and record to your NAS?

I am not sure why I would have issues with the SSD drive after a while, However it seems that turned out to be the issue none the less.
Thanks for the info, that stuff about the ssd is weird indeed. Pardon my digression: I had an ssd fail on me where nothing could be written to it, but windows was convinced the writes where happening! I still have that drive, figured its a valid system image from around 2011.

Don't know if your aware but the wmc recording service does will not write to a nas, but there are ways around it.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
My, SSD has been used 24/7 for probably the last 5 years, So I imagine it very well could be on its way out. However, I haven't been getting any issues with windows, So who knows. It is probably about time to upgrade the hardware. I will probably run heavy read/write test on it here soon.

Yeah I believe I need to map the drive as a local, correct? I really don't want to add the extra draw on the network if possible, Especially with the HDHR4, You know from HDH through the server to the nas then back off the nas again for playback as opposed to from hd to server then straight off the server. So I will probably stick with recording to the local drive. Actually I even considered hooking the HDH directly up to the pc via x-over cable, But then I wouldn't be able to view the HDH directly.

On any note, I appreciate the help, and thank you for the great program.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MPEG2-TS, WMC, HDHomerun issues0