Bug "ERROR: Unable to initialize. Exiting." if network disabled
I did a brand-new install of Kodi on a nearly brand-new Win7 install and reproduced the problem right out of the "Run Kodi" checkbox on the installer.

Except for RAM (2 GB), the other important info is accurately reported by the debug log:
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Kodi\kodi.log Wrote:Starting Kodi (15.0-BETA2 Git:20150614-daedd5f). Platform: Windows NT x86 32-bit
Using Release Kodi x32 build
Kodi compiled Jun 14 2015 by MSVC 180030723 for Windows NT x86 32-bit version 6.0 (0x06000000)
Running on Windows 7 SP1, kernel: Windows NT x86 32-bit version 6.1
Host CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2 cores available
Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 60Hz
Running with restricted rights
Aero is enabled

To reproduce: Go to "Network and Sharing" control panel, "Adapter settings", right-click on network adapter, choose "Disable" from the menu.

Then (try to) start Kodi.
BTW, if you enable the adapter, start Kodi, and then disable it, numerous basic things don't work right. Like viewing recently added movies & TV shows. I get a dialog box that says "Loading directory videodb://recentlyaddedmovies/" which hangs until I press the provided "cancel" button.
Confirmed to still be present in 15.0 release. Not present in 13.2. 14.x needs testing.
I can't reproduce this issue. Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens for you?
Weird. It's 100% reproducible on every machine I've tried it on. Thanks for trying!

http://pastebin.com/35LR9Evv

I click the error message away (which is on the desktop hidden by the unresponsive full-screen Kodi) at 19:55:27.

This is an older install than the absolutely bare one I first reported (that machine is just farther away; I can get a log from it too with a bit more delay), but the symptoms and steps to reproduce are identical.
Oops, my bad. I'm able to reproduce it now. I had only disabled wifi and not bluetooth, but doing both results in Kodi giving me the same error.

It sounds like the devs are looking into it.
The worst bug, the startup failure, is fixed in 15.1.

The "Loading directory videodb://recentlyaddedmovies/" error is still present.

To reproduce, disable (via the control panel) all network devices, start Kodi, then select Movies/Recently added.
Just to ping, the lesser bug is still present in Jarvis 16.0 beta 4.

Kodi mostly works, but if all networks are disabled from the Windows "Network Connections" control panel, selecting "Movies" or "TV Shows" from the main menu pops up a cryptic dialog box.

Clicking "Cancel" allows one to proceed, but it's definitely irritating.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"ERROR: Unable to initialize. Exiting." if network disabled0