new to live tv...need help
If this is in the wrong area, mods, please move this to the appropriate place.

I have looked through the forums here but I haven't found anything similar to my question.

I have been using xbmc/kodi for years but I have never used the live tv/pvr side of things. I have Kodi setup on a windows 7 pc with mysql. This is the server for the rest of the house. I have 2 other computers that connect to this server for streaming of tv shows and media from this server. I am NOT streaming anything from the internet, only locally stored media. I am in the process of setting up a 3rd client (RPi2).

What I would like to do is add a tv tuner to the server for terrestrial reception (local tv channels). Is there a way of sharing this with my other clients? I don't really care to record anything, just be able to watch local tv on any other client without having to run individual tv tuners and coax to each client. At max, 2 clients would be watching tv at any time. If this is possible, can anyone recommend the right hardware/software combination that will allow this?

Thanks for any help.
(2015-06-27, 05:40)valerinism Wrote: This is the server for the rest of the house. I have 2 other computers that connect to this server for streaming of tv shows and media from this server. I am NOT streaming anything from the internet, only locally stored media. I am in the process of setting up a 3rd client (RPi2).

What I would like to do is add a tv tuner to the server for terrestrial reception (local tv channels). Is there a way of sharing this with my other clients? I don't really care to record anything, just be able to watch local tv on any other client without having to run individual tv tuners and coax to each client.

What your currently doing is streaming tv shows, movies etc which are saved on your server to other PC's in your house, but what you want to do is stream live TV to the PC's in your network? Is my understanding correct?
https://www.silicondust.com/
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Yes any PVR backend should work to do what you want. I use mythtv with a twin HDHomerun tuner and have four clients. Mainly I use it for recording, but occasionally "Live".

You will be restricted on how many clients can watch Live TV at a time by the number of tuners you have and how your broadcaster arranges it's muxes.

Explanation: A single tuner frequency (a mux) can broadcast a number of channels at once. Locally I have 3 frequencies broadcasting about 12-15 channels. As an example:

Freq 1 Channels a,b,c,d
Freq 2 Channels e,f,g,h
Freq 3 Channels i,j,k,l

If user 1 tunes to channel a, then tuner 1 tunes to Freq 1. If user two wants to watch a,b,c or d then the system can use tuner 1 as well.

If user 2 then switches to channel f, he has to use tuner 2 (because user 1 is still using freq 1 on tuner 1).

If user 3 comes along he can watch a,b,c,d,e,f,g or h. But if he wants channel i,j,k or l he has (on my two tuner system) run out of tuners.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@billybob69 Yes, that is correct.

Thank you all for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
(2015-07-03, 22:23)valerinism Wrote: @billybob69 Yes, that is correct.

Thank you all for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

What want to do can definitely be done with DVBLink. You will need to set up their TVSource package to find the channels on your 'home' PC / Server and then export the channel list. Using the channel list you should be able to stream that TV source to another PC in your network.

bb69

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new to live tv...need help0