IMDb DB on a shared network drive
Hello, I was wondering if there is any way I could move the DB where all my video IMDB info is stored, from my XBOX over to a share over the network, say my NAS. In that way I could have all my xbox connected to the same DB (as well as same movies) without the need to keep updated and backed up several databases.
Could somebody help me out on this ? Thansk a lot ! Wink
no.
Sure, just edit source code Wink
It seems like I read something before about a sript somebody had made that would automatically copy over your database files from a network share on startup of xbmc and then auotmatically write the database back to the network share on shutdown.

It is far from a perfect solution but I think that is what I'm going to do... if only I could find the thread about it. Smile
LaTropa64 Wrote:It seems like I read something before about a sript somebody had made that would automatically copy over your database files from a network share on startup of xbmc and then auotmatically write the database back to the network share on shutdown.

It is far from a perfect solution but I think that is what I'm going to do... if only I could find the thread about it. Smile

Well, if you do find that script, I would really appreciate if you could pass on thath info to me as well ! Big Grin
Thanks a lot !
HarshReality Wrote:Sure, just edit source code Wink

HarshReality, could you please tell me, if you know it, where in the source code is the IMDB section, where I could try and modify where it's pointing to ? thanks !
Hi,

i've got the same problem. Sad
There are 3 x-boxes (4 in the near future ;-) ) with XBMC in our home-net and I would like to handle only one IMDB database. I thought about prgramming a Windows Tool which is able to change the english imdb entrys to german language.
I think, the best way is to make a entry in the 'AdvancedSettings.xml' for the imdb path.
The second possible way is to have a look in the folder where the video file is located, if there is a xml file with the same name, then use this instead of the one in the imdb folder.

I didn't take a look to compile the source myself, but if there is no devoloper who finds this feature usefull for him or the comunity, I must figure out, how I could change it by myself.

@developer Nod
Is the path to the imdb xml files hard-coded at the moment?
Is it realy a problem to user an other path if one is found in the AdvancedSettings.xml?

StompSC
Remote database files dont work. SQLite cant open them. I've tried. But, remote imdb tt#######.xml files shouldnt be a problem. But it should be trivial to write a python script that ftp's over a remote database file. And using autoexec.py, you can force that script to run at bootup. (And if you are going to do this, I'd suggest adding a dialog so that the user has to wait for the download or has to manually cancel it to prevent the user from entering MyVideos before the ftp is done.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
@kraqh3d

Thanks for the infos.

@all

Are the names of the tt*.xml files generatet by a CRC over path & filename like the tbn names? I mean, are the names the same on different x-boxes?

It is possible to give the box a *.nfo file with the path to the imdb title in the movie folder. If in this part of the software in front of the check for the *.nfo file is a check for a *.xml file with the name of the movie then this file will be read instead of a imdb scan or the one in the userdata/database/imdb directory.

I think, this will be a possible way to help all the peole out of the english mother language part of the world with parents, which are able to handle a xbox, but aren't familar with the english language.
They could build a *.xml file by themselves in their mother language and put it in the movie folder. If they don't, nothing happens.
That will also give the guys a opinion, who don't find their movies in the imdb. At the moment the work is like this:
- Make a imdb scan
- Take a wrong movie or perhaps rename the movie to find a wrong one in the imdb
- download the wrong imdb infos
- rename the movie back
- scan the database for the movie to find the right tt*.xml
- edit the tt*.tbn file in the imdb folder ( i think the database ist'n updated in this case to the right genre/year/actors/etc?)

with a xml file in the movie folder, only this file must be edit and the rest will follow automatic with the first press of the info button on the remote.

Could I realy no developer give a little motivation to implement this?
I think, for a developer who is actual in the source 'at home' needs quarter an hour to half an hour to implement this.
For me, it will takes a few days to weeks to understand enough of the sources to make changes in this way.

Please, help me Wink

StompSC
the tt*.xml files are named after the imdb id so they would be the same between multiple xboxs. (but even using crc's like for thumbs, the names are the same if your sources are identical.)

an .nfo file can only point to the imdb url. nothing else. feel free to change this however you like. thats the beauty of opensource software.

(for a while now i'd been planning on a adding a very simple "add to database" context menu option for manual additions but i've not gotten around to it.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi,

I've checked out the cvs and I have successful compiled it this mornig before work. Nod

I think the IMDB.cpp is the point where my search should start?!Huh

I think about the following behavier:
If in the movie folder the 'movie1.avi' is selected and 'Info' is pressed (the first time for this file), then XBMC looks for a 'movie1.xml' in the same folder. It it exist, this one is taken instead of a IMDB request (with htmlscrapper?).

In my point of view a IMDB request is done by htmlscrapper and an (temporary?) xml is generated.
Then runs a xml parser and copys the infos to the database and the file to the Userdata IMDB Folder (or the file is directly created in this folder?)
This code is passed by taking the 'movie.xml' file.

I think, this is a way everybody can handle it.
No 'movie.xml' file no other behavier, if a file exist this one is taken.

StompSC
Might go for application or settings first. While IMDB is the behavior of how XBMC handles the URL the paths or what it does with the information would most likely be in application or settings
I stand corrected... xbmc\VideoDatabase.cpp is where the db naming and what not seem to be but for specifics... I couldn't speculate on how you would make this alteration.

But for a feature suggestion, you might try having a selectable path for the databases and xml stored info (IMDB) in settings. They might bite on it as that data is fetched on entering videos or apps etc. but the drag time to load it from an SMB location I couldnt predict.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IMDb DB on a shared network drive0