3D - Frame Sequential
I would like to see an option to watch 3D films in Frame Sequential mode, rather than just SBS or Under/Over. This is the preferred 3D format for many DLP projectors.
2 options:

1. Run kodi on windows using an external player.

2. Raspberry pi with mvc in mkv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
AFAIK popcornmix was looking at frame sequential support on the PI. Once this is worked out and depending on the requirements this might then also be ported to the other platforms
Any news on natural implementation? I know this is not up to Kodi but the developers of the underlying code. Just wondering what the status is as this has been on the table for years.

Too much of a niche market? Or too much trouble?
what do you mean with "natural implementation"?
(2015-06-29, 16:39)da-anda Wrote: what do you mean with "natural implementation"?

As in natively supported by Kodi (like SBS, etc.).
It's complicated.

You need

* hardware support for the output format.
* driver support for the output format (which is very likely to vary by operating system - kodi supports Windows, Linux (x86 & ARM), Android (x86 and ARM), OSX, iOS.
* kodi support for the output support AND for MVC decoding.

The only reason that pi can decode MVC and do Frame Packing is because of hardware support in the SOC that has been exposed by the RPi foundation, and the hard work of a few developers.

If you want to know about progress within ffmpeg, go ask their mailing list or view their source commits.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-06-30, 04:36)nickr Wrote: * hardware support for the output format.
* driver support for the output format (which is very likely to vary by operating system - kodi supports Windows, Linux (x86 & ARM), Android (x86 and ARM), OSX, iOS.

No, you don't need MVC or special driver/hardware support for frame sequential output. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228484.
(2015-06-30, 12:26)membrane Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 04:36)nickr Wrote: * hardware support for the output format.

No, you don't need MVC or special driver/hardware support for frame sequential output. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228484.
Thank you, that helps clarify my thinking.

People tend to conflate frame-[packing|sequential] with MVC. I assumed and/or confused myself. Never mind, thanks for the pointer to the thread.

I guess the thing that is needed is 120Hz output, which does bring us back to hardware/drivers, but in a different way to what I thought. Not every bit of hardware will handle that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D - Frame Sequential0