Which Windows PVR backend performs the best?
I have tried NextPVR and ServerWMC. NextPVR peforms worse and seems very buggy. I have not tried mediaportal as yet because it looks like a chore to setup. For those using windows which backend performs best? Serverwmc channel changing is a bit too slow to me. How is mediaportal?
I've tried pretty much all the backends and my current favorite is ServerWMC. Slow channel change is a Kodi feature and although some may be a little faster/slower you really won't find much difference between backends
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
i figured serverwmc was the best option. I'm just going to stick with wmc. Too many hiccups in kodi.
A paid option would dvblogic. Channel changes take 1-2 seconds in Kodi on my system. There is a free trial available.
Kodi 16.1 on main HTPC Win 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
3 x Pi2 running Kodi 16.1 (OSMC)
TVHeadend PVR server providing Freeview HD and Freesat HD
i use mediaportal and have switching times <=1second. there is no "best backend", it depends on variouse things like dvb-hardware....
mediaportal tv-sever isnt very complicated to setup
I use a cable card with the hdhomerun prime. i tried out mediaportal but just couldn't get it up and running so got rid of it.
IMHO ServerWMC is the best and most stable option for Windows. I used NextPVR and attempted MediaPortal but was turned off by both. Maybe it is just because I have been using WMC for so long and was just lazy...who knows.

The SiliconDust folks are in the early stages of creating a PVR backend for Windows/Linux/NAS devices that I have high hopes will be a suitable WMC replacement. With MS dropping WMC from Win10 - tuner vendors like SD and Ceton are kind of forced to get involved in the backend software - so hopefully this will be a good thing.

On a side note - for those experiencing long channel change times - if you are using a HDHomeRun device that supports DLNA then you can activate this feature in ServerWMC and it will bypass the temp recording functions. This took my channel change times from 5-10s down to less than a second. Now it is as good as WMC.
I do agree that ServerWMC is good and I need the time shift. Sometimes when viewing live TV I like having the option to rewind.
(2015-06-28, 12:58)Ed76 Wrote: i use mediaportal and have switching times <=1second. there is no "best backend", it depends on variouse things like dvb-hardware....
mediaportal tv-sever isnt very complicated to setup

Hi, I have been a constant Mediaportal user for about 5 years and absolutely love it! I have a server in the lounge and multiple clients around the house. Just got a Raspberry Pi 2, could you give me a quick Mediaportal / Kodi (OSMC) setup guide. I already have a Mediaportal Server setup with X4 satellite feeds in.

Kind regards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Windows PVR backend performs the best?0