FireTV vs SkyStreamX vs Ouya
Hi,

Trying to sort this out. I picked up a FireTV which I side loaded Kodi on, I like the hardware and the remote - Kodi runs great on it but there are a couple places this falls short. I don't like that Amazon dropped Kodi, their excuse for this is lame especially considering they continue to sell other devices which have Kodi as it's primary application.

The scenario I am looking to setup is that I have a 5th wheel camper in the north woods with no internet readily available most of the time. I can use my phone as a mobile hot spot and tested this with the FireTV this past weekend and it streamed Netflix and Amazon VOD just fine (My phone - (Droid Ultra) does not do well both getting the stream and then casting it to the TV, it seems to be ok doing one or the other but not both at the same time).

One of the area's the FireTV falls short is there is no Playstore nor NHL network in it - I can probably live without the play store but the NHL Game center app is essential and from what I have read there is really no way to get this to work properly on the FireTV because you cannot root it (what I read) and there is no way to turn on location services which the app requires.

Looking around I found the SkyStreamX which seems to resolve this but I am not sure and cannot make out what the hardware differences are.

I am fairly invested in Amazon's services as far as video's go and I have no problem paying for the content I have - I use play later for taking shows to the camper most of the time to save data on my cell plan.

I would build a PC but really want a low power, very small box as space is limited in the camper - Ideally what I am looking to do is also load some emulators on the box to play SNES etc on it and also have it read my media from an external HDD (probably a 2 to 4TB drive with all my movies and music on it) - occasionally connecting to internet to scrape and stream NHL, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD etc.

The FireTV comes close but just falls short and I will probably keep that for at home where I have other means to get the NHL but at least it seems that maybe the SkyStreamX would be just the thing for the camper or are there better options out there for my scenario? I have also been reading a bit about the Ouya...
I would get the Nexus Player + a micro USB hub, like one of these:

http://amzn.com/B00L32UUJK
http://amzn.com/B00SFMORPE
I decided to pick up a transmort rather generic looking tv box to play around with, I had a nexus tv and could not get the NHL app to work on it and if I remember right even Amazon VOD I could not get to work. Maybe I am just wanting to do to much as I am used to a Windows 7 Media Center than can do everything but I don't want the size or heat of a windows pc...

I see the price on the nexus has gone down to $67... at that price it's worth getting just to play with though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FireTV vs SkyStreamX vs Ouya0