Linux How do I open a terminal in OpenElec?
Smile 
Hi, I'm both a Linux and a Pi noob, so please be gentle!

Just set up my Pi with Kodi last night, and it seems I may need to use some terminal commands for mounting an external HDD. My question is simply, how do I get a terminal open in Kodi?

Thanks heaps for any help and advice! Smile
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/OpenEL...use_SSH.3F

Using Putty:
https://mediatemple.net/community/produc...h-in-putty-

SSH into your pi with user root and password openelec, if you're on Windows you could use PuTTY for that.

Or you could simply try using OSMC which would automatically mount and share your external drive(s) after manually installing SAMBA which could be done within OSMC's built-in AppStore or by using apt-get...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Thanks a lot wrxtasy and Fry7 - much appreciated!
RPi2, Raspian> KODI

I need the same help. I'm trying to get some media... any media on to my pi... but the instructions are all "way" above me.

I've tried restarting with the storage attached. I'm not sure if I need to mount the storage on Raspian first and then start KODI. I've tried browsing in Kodi but my storage isn't where I thought it would be.

KODI looks really pretty, but I can't figure out how to share my iTunes library... so I've given up. I thought it would be easier to put some files on another SD in an adapter but no idea how to mount it.

The Wiki just has me going round and round.

Installing Raspian was quite simple. then I found how to install KODI from the terminal, but after that... I seem to be in an infinite loop!

I've been at this for a week now, all my google searches lead to the same pages, which don't really help. I'm lost and it would be a big boost to morale to listen/watch something on KODI.

Thanks in advance.
Same advice for you then: try OSMC as it is also based on Debian 8 and makes a lot of things much easier - let alone that it supports a lot more WLAN devices and TV tuner out of the box...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
@ thebob
If you just want to run Kodi and maybe a TV Tuner like TVHeadend. Make it easy on yourself and go the very easy option, then just install the OpenElec IMAGE to a SD card like all of us do.
Plug in a HDD, USB, WiFi, BT etc and your usually good to go pretty much straight away.

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

(2015-06-30, 04:37)woodson75 Wrote: Hi, I'm both a Linux and a Pi noob, so please be gentle!

Just set up my Pi with Kodi last night, and it seems I may need to use some terminal commands for mounting an external HDD. My question is simply, how do I get a terminal open in Kodi?
HDDs should be auto-mounted in both, OpenElec and OSMC. If it's not working for you it could be that the HDDs needs more current than the PI can deliver, so you need to connect it using a powered USB hub, or if you're using a PI2 you can try to set "usb_max_current=1" (I think that's how it was called) in the config.txt of your PI.

edit: the setting in config.txt is called "max_usb_current=1"
(2015-06-30, 10:00)da-anda Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 04:37)woodson75 Wrote: Hi, I'm both a Linux and a Pi noob, so please be gentle!

HDDs should be auto-mounted in both, OpenElec and OSMC. If it's not working for you it could be that the HDDs needs more current than the PI can deliver, so you need to connect it using a powered USB hub, or if you're using a PI2 you can try to set "usb_max_current=1" (I think that's how it was called) in the config.txt of your PI.

edit: the setting in config.txt is called "max_usb_current=1"

I think this is the main point. For example switching video output needs a config.txt edit, but that needs another computer.

Terminal access in KODI would enable an edit, switch monitors and then a reboot. Presently that is why I'm using KODI installed on Raspian, but it usually hangs on quit and doesn't reenter Raspian cleanly.

Installing on Raspian also gives you a browser etc.

OpenElec and OSMC are certainly good solutions for those with multiple SD cards or access to another computer, but don't help those without.
You can use Leopolds add-on to make changes to config.txt from inside OpenELEC with a nice GUI...

http://ls80.github.io/script.openelec.rpi.config/
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Editing the Pi config.txt is baked into OSMC as well, btw.
1) Install Chromium Extension
2) Use Chromium to "Update" "Chrome"
3) Use official chrome for crosshair extension (access to terminal via web browser)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I open a terminal in OpenElec?0