HDHomerun Prime LiveTV only plays in SD on Kodi, instead of HD
Hello,

I have HDHomerun Prime (HDHR3-CC) setup with NPVR. I use the NPVR client add-on for Kodi, as well as the HDHomerun Prime add-on on Kodi. While my NPVR viewer on my Windows 7 PC appears to be HD quality, Kodi is always SD quality when playing Live TV from either the NPVR client or the HDHomerun add-on. For comparison, the Genesis add-on service plays video on Kodi with 1080 on my Sony HD TV.

I verified that I am using stations that are HD. Also, the same HD channels watched from my Cable box (Cablevision) are displayed on TV in HD. My NPVR decoders are as follows:

MPEG2 Video - Tried Intervideo and Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoders
H.264 Video - Tried Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and LAV Video Decoders
HEVC Video - LAV Video decoder

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Whit
The decoder settings in NextPVR are only relevant to when you're watching in NextPVR itself. Kodi does it's own playback, using it's own decoders.

NextPVR just passes along the raw bitstream, from HDHR Prime to Kodi. It's not downscaling it. Double check you're really requesting the HD channels. If you've got both HD and SD channels in your channel lineup, make sure they don't have the same channel numbers, otherwise you might be inadvertently requesting the SD versions.

Quote:Kodi is always SD quality when playing Live TV from either the NPVR client or the HDHomerun add-on
Because it's happening in both of these, it makes me think maybe you are getting the HD stream, but Kodi is just doing a shitty job decoding, so ends up with rubbish looking picture? Either way, it's not sounding like your problem is in NextPVR or the NextPVR addon.
Appreciate your reply. This was very helpful.

And I am thinking it's possible that the cable TV service is not recognizing the HDHomerun Prime as a HD client. My cable provider, Cablevision, just removed all "HD channels" and says that both SD and HD will now play from a single channel. For example, NBC is now both SD and HD, so I may be defaulting to SD.

Whit
Update on this issue...

While my Cable TV box provided one channel for both SD and HD, my CableCard service from the Cable company did not. I still had to use the HD version of the channel with the CableCard on my HD Homerun Prime. Once I did this, I saw the HD quality TV image.

Whit
Great - glad you got it sorted.
Similar Issue... Using KODI 15 RC1 on a win 7; NPVR and am getting constant interruptions to buffer in HD only buffers initially in SD.

HD works in WMC and using HD Homerun software to tune VLC 2.0.0 .

I have run out of ideas to increase the LAN speed. Both 1GBS and 100 MBS Full duplex no change.

Using Networx the LAN speed tops out at 1.5MBS and buffers continuously...

Using HD Homerun software avg LAN speed is 950KBS...

This is total frustration, I need something to replace WMC for PVR use, thanks M$!
Try enabling or disabling the timeshift setting in the NextPVR addon settings to see if it makes any difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDHomerun Prime LiveTV only plays in SD on Kodi, instead of HD0