Picture stutter through Kodi 14.2 Helix
Hey there guys, I hope you can help me out with this because it's doing my head in.

I'm running Kodi 14.2 Helix (Aeon Nox skin) on a Minix Neo X64 Android 4.4.2 to an LG LED TV. All of my media is stored on a 2TB Samsung hard drive plugged into the Minix via usb.

Anything I try to watch, movies or TV episodes, have a constant stutter to the image. Most noticeable on long panning shots.
I've tried 23fps and 25fps movies and both do the same thing.
I've tried playing these same movies by plugging the hard drive directly into the TV and they play perfectly.
I've also tried playing them via a player app on the Minix box and they play fine through that too.
So I can only assume it's something to do with Kodi. I've also tried playing them through XBMC and I get the same stutter.

I've tried messing with the "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" and "Sync Playback to Display". But none of the combinations did any good. But I will admit I don't fully understand what these things do.

I hope I've explained myself well enough, if not please ask me to elaborate on anything you think might help.

This is the second Minix box I've had to buy in as many weeks, the first died in just a couple of days, so please tell me I can easily fix this stuttering problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Rob.
Have you considered: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229310 but according to that, I thought Minix had a lock on the whole 23.976hz thing? Maybe you need Isengard?
If RobAsh is referring to the Minix Neo Z64 (not X64 as stated) it runs a 1.8GHz Intel Bay Trail 64 bit Atom Z3735F.

Users here in this thread are also having 23.976/59.94 and refresh rates switching issues on this new MINIX platform running Android.
Windows looks like it works properly.
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/my-day...port.4631/

You would actually get clearer answers from the MINIX forums and the actual Firmware devs over there.
I don't think this is a Kodi issue at all.

23.976fps output is definitely supported on the MINIX devices with AMlogic SoC's. ie S802/S805/S812.
There is a Video Reference Clock in the video drivers on the AMlogic SoC's that allows Sync Playback to Display to function correctly in Kodi and this works well if developers code correctly in Firmware.

Users need to be very aware that all the bells and whistles like 23.976/59.94 video output etc, are currently supported on MINIX devices containing AMlogic SoC's. These have mature Firmware, unlike the MINIX Intel Bay Trail Z64. I've only ever recommended MINIX containing AMlogic. It never pays to be an early adopter with Android devices.

Hey there technisol,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
That looks pretty complex, for a newbie like me, but I'll have a good look through that stuff. Cheers.

Hey there wrxtasy,

Thanks for commenting too, I appreciate your time.
You're absolutely right, my box is the Neo Z64. Simple mistype, sorry about that.

Thanks very much for the link, I'll take a good look at that. Unfortunately the last few times I've tried to subscribe to that forum there's been an error in the form, I'll give it another try.

My Minix box plays movies perfectly if I use an app to run them, it's only when I use Kodi and XBMC that the stuttering issue arises, so I honestly can't see how it could be anything other than Kodi. Unless there's a conflict between the Minix box and the Kodi software?

Thanks a lot for your input guys.
Hey there,

I have the very same issues as well, both on a Pipo X7S and a Ainol Mini PC. It's definitely not related to software or drivers as some in this forum try to say just to blame or discredit the Chinese companies, it is indeed a problem with Kodi. I tried a lot of other Apps as well as VLC player, no issues. But on Kodi I get constant stuttering on 1080 videos (lower resolutions are fine). It gets a little better once I switch to "real full screen mode" but still isn't gone completely.

All the best,

Christopher
Hey there gizchina_de,

I hear you mate, and I know it can be frustrating, but try not to get too negative. I really don't care who or what is to blame for the problem, I'd just really like to solve it so I can get on with building my digital library.
Hopefully someone on the forum will read this and solve it for us.
In the mean time I have an e-mail into Minix support just to see if they can suggest anything. I looked into contacting Kodi directly but they prefer you contact the forum only.
Cross your fingers mate, hopefully there's a solution coming.
All the best.
When video is playing, hit the "O" key to bring up the Codec info page:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo

If you see dc:ff-h264 that means CPU software decoding is taking place using Kodi's inbuilt ffmpeg decoder.
This may be too much for the Bay Trail CPU.

Try playing around with the Hardware acceleration settings in Kodi. I do not know what dc:?xx-h264 you will see when video is being hardware decoded on the Z64.

Hey there wrxtasy,

Thanks for giving me something to try. Although please understand I know very little about this stuff.
Ok, I chose a movie to play. The Expendable, ripped from DVD. The LionsGate animated log at the beginning of the movie is perfect for seeing the stuttering affect.
I grabbed a capture of the displayed info after pressing "O" on the remote, this is what I got...

D(Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv,bt709),720x300[SAR 1:1 DAR 12:5],1348 kb/s)
P(fr:25.000, vq:75%, dc:amc-h264, Mb/s:1.29, drop:0, skip:0, pc:1)

C( ad:0.000, a/v: 0.033, edl:-,dcpu:3% acpu: 0% vcpu:0% cache:0 B 99% )
W( fps:25.00 CPU0: 37% CPU1: 38% CPU2: 2.0% CPU3: 7.5% )

It doesn't look like the exact phrasing you were looking for is there.

On a side note, since I last posted, just to see if it might help, I've updated Kodi to 15 Beta2 Isengard.
I've also updated the firmware on the Minix Z64 with the latest. Build number 20150413 Android version 4.4.4
Stuttering is just the same.

I've noticed that pressing keyboard keys on the A2 Lite Air Mouse brings up on screen features, like pressing "O" as you suggested. Do you know if and where I might get a full description of these action keys?

Thanks again for helping out. I hope this sheds a little more light on things.
Cheers,
Rob.
I have the same problem with "google TV" - Q7:
CPU - Cortex-A9
chipset - RK3188
GPU - 3D quad-core Mali-400

when it was connected to old small TV (AV connection) - it worked fine
now i connect it to my new 50" TV using HDMI interface (changed the streamer definitions to support) - i got stutter video (looks sometimes like slow-motion), audio is not synchronized with video. tried to adjust the video setting of kodi - without success. probably something i do wrong with the GPU/ accelerator config...

using DicePlayer or MXplayer i can play 1080p movies perfectly Sad

hope someone can assist

thanks much!!!

DiZi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture stutter through Kodi 14.2 Helix0