Kodi CPU stays on 100%
Hi,
My new install of Kodi onto my model B is refusing to play some movies. At first I thought it was a specific file but further investigation showed that it was many files. By turning on logging I can see that the files in question cause the CPU to flatline at 100% even when they are only highlighted in the movie listings. Navigating to other movies instantly sees the CPU drop back to more normal values of about 30-40%. Attempting to play the flatlining movies simply locks the unit up often without showing anything on screen. I'm normally able to recover the situation by stopping the movie via the android application Kore.
I'm struggling to get a log file off the device as I don't seem to be able to load Kodi log updater. I'll try a manual file copy and post a link if that works.
Anyone seen this before or know how to stop it?
Thanks,
Mike
Here's the link to the Kodi.log file http://xbmclogs.com/psuqwksdg#
what's up with your keyboard - the log is full of stuff like this:
Code:
21:16:43 T:3034275840   DEBUG: OnKey: up (0xf080) pressed, action is Up
21:16:43 T:3034275840   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 0x67, sym: 0x0111, unicode: 0x0000, modifier: 0x0
21:16:43 T:3034275840   DEBUG: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS - bPowerOffKeyPressed 0
21:16:43 T:3034275840   DEBUG: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS - result of WakeUpScreenSaver 0

Also, super-Repo add-on was logging an error - try if disabling the repo helps (this repo is in general not encouraged to be used).
These messages don't look familiar:
Code:
21:19:50 T:3034275840   DEBUG: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS - bPowerOffKeyPressed 0
21:19:50 T:3034275840   DEBUG: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS: WakeUpScreenSaverAndDPMS - result of WakeUpScreenSaver 0
Might be worth asking on xbian forum, or trying a different distribution.

The other test is to rename ~/.kodi (e.g. to ~/.kodi_back) and restart. That will show if there is a problem with no add-ons and default settings.
If it makes no difference you can rename it back. If it does help, then carefully install add-ons and change settings, keeping an eye on when the cpu usage increases.
Ok, so I've disabled SuperRepo (don't know how it got on there) and removed the USB dongle so no keyboard is present. I'm still seeing 100% when browsing movies.
I'll now try renaming ~/kodi to see if that makes any difference.
So the embarrassment begings, where is the Kodi file?
Normally ~/.kodi
Note the dot which means it is hidden. Try "ls ~/.kodi" which should show some directories (e.g. temp and userdata).
To start with a "clean" Kodi installation:
Code:
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodi.bak
Then restart.

To restore your original installation:
Code:
rm -fr ~/.kodi
mv ~/.kodi.bak ~/.kodi
and restart.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
In trying to do this I find that I am still unable to SSH onto the device. I have been able to do so in the past and there have been no changes to my LAN e.g. no new firewalls. The error (can't remember the code) kind of states that a connection could not be found.
Seeing as I have multiple issues with this install is it going to be simpler to flatten the box and rebuild? If so then is the Xbian distro suitable for a model B or would another one be better?
depends on what you want to do with the box. I personally like OpenElec, it's booting up pretty fast, is easy to update and does all I need (I don't need a full blown debian with package manager). If you need a package manager, OSMC or Xbian might be what you want.
I use it as a media center.
(2015-07-02, 18:40)md129761 Wrote: I use it as a media center.

That is exactly the primary intended usage of Openelec.

Mike
I tried reinstalling Xbian but had the same symptoms. In the end I took the advice from MikeB2013 and installed OpenElec which seems to have resolved my issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi CPU stays on 100%0