Live TV Freezes and Locks Up Kodi
When watching Live TV on a Win 7 client, Kodi 14.2, the screen will freeze and I can't do anything. I'm using an OTA tuner and my reception isn't always that great. Usually when I get poor reception, live tv will pause and then continue once things come back. Within the last couple of days (could have been longer as I haven't been watching a lot of live TV), the screen will freeze without the pause icon and Kodi becomes inoperable. I can't hit escape, backspace, up, down, etc.

Even when I close Kodi it doesn't quit successfully as it is still present in my task manager. Trying to end process does nothing as well.

Here is my Log File.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Has serverwmc crashed? Does it still show the stream as running when kodi is hung?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
ServerWMC is still running and it shows that that client still has the tuner. Also, other clients are able to view the same channel.

Edited to add: After things freeze, I reboot the client, but when I look at ServerWMC, it still shows that that client has an active stream. I'm able to get other clients to stream, so I'm pretty sure that ServerWMC hasn't crashed.
Here is my ServerWMC Log.

I was having a problem a while back with <RemuxIncludeHearingImpaired> and currently it's still set to TRUE. Could that be causing the issue?
I don't see any problem in the serverwmc log. I don't know if including hearing impaired could cause a crash of kodi, but I would definitely turn it off.

All I can think to do is the next time this happens go to the tempswmc folder in your recorded tv folder and save the wtv and ts file that are being streamed to kodi. Then use kodi to play back these files and see if it hangs. The data in the file might be bad somehow due to your reception problems, but that shouldn't cause kodi to hang, kodi should just give up. So having the files we could reproduce the problem.
I went to the tempswmc folder and tried playing the files and they both play fine. They play past the point where the client freezes without an issue.

Normally when there is bad reception, Kodi just pauses and then resumes when reception comes back, but now it just freezes without pausing.

I've uninstalled Kodi and reinstalled it without any additional add-ons just to see if that was the issue but it is still happening. Is there anything else I can try?
No idea, right now (other than setting RemuxIncludeHearingImpaired back to false). Do all of your clients have this problem or just the one?
I've changed that to false but without much success. It's definitely tied to when the reception isn't great. It used to pause but now it freezes. If I reset that tuner after it freezes and wait 10 minutes, Kodi will recover.

Is there a way to change the priority of the tuners so that the second one in my list is used first. For whatever reason when I go through the WMC TV Signal Strength, the 2nd one does better and if it's freezing when it's losing reception, I'd rather use the stronger of the two tuners.
Yeah, there are a few ways to do it. Probably the simplest (but maybe not the best) is to change Decoy_LiveStreamProtectLevel to zero in the settings file.

Ex:
<Decoy_LiveStreamProtectLevel>0</Decoy_LiveStreamProtectLevel>
I've rolled back ServerWMC to build 1190 and things seem better. I'll report back if I still have the issue. Before I did that I had one more freeze with the following code in the kodi.log:

Code:
07:25:29 T:1500 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
07:28:15 T:3932 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
07:28:15 T:3932 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
07:28:21 T:3968  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
07:28:21 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
07:28:21 T:3932 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
07:38:17 T:3400 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2069 times.
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
07:38:17 T:3932 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: Closing stream player 1
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: Waiting for audio thread to exit
07:38:17 T:1500  NOTICE: thread end: CDVDPlayerAudio::OnExit()
07:38:17 T:3932 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: Closing audio device
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: Deleting audio codec
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: Closing stream player 2
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: waiting for video thread to exit
07:38:17 T:3932   ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true
07:38:17 T:3932  NOTICE: thread end: video_thread
07:38:17 T:3400  NOTICE: deleting video codec
07:38:17 T:3920  NOTICE: Thread JobWorker start, auto delete: true
07:38:18 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
07:38:18 T:2448  NOTICE: **************************** Stop Event -- Stopping Server *****************************
07:38:18 T:2448  NOTICE: connection :: getURL :: url = http://localhost:12345/stop
07:38:18 T:3860  NOTICE: **************************** Stop Event -- Stopping Server *****************************
07:38:18 T:3860  NOTICE: connection :: getURL :: url = http://localhost:12345/stop
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
07:38:19 T:3968  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
07:38:19 T:4216   ERROR: 127.0.0.1 - - [02/Jul/2015 07:38:19] "GET /stop HTTP/1.1" 200 -
07:38:19 T:4216  NOTICE: Server stopped
07:38:19 T:2448  NOTICE: URL Error::
07:38:19 T:2448  NOTICE: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
07:38:19 T:2448   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnboundLocalError'>
                                            Error Contents: local variable 'link' referenced before assignment
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\TV\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvvod\resources\lib\common.py", line 92, in onPlayBackStopped
                                                connection.getURL('http://localhost:12345/stop', connectiontype = 0)
                                              File "C:\Users\TV\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ustvvod\resources\lib\connection.py", line 274, in getURL
                                                return link
                                            UnboundLocalError: local variable 'link' referenced before assignment
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

The thing that I don't get is that between 7:28 and 7:38 the WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer repeats over 2000 times. That time frame is when things are frozen. I'm also seeing a reference to 127.0.0.1 which is the default IP Address before configuring the WMC PVR Add-on. Could that be an issue?

Is this an issue with ServerWMC, the WMC_PVR_Addon, or the actual install of Kodi?

Thanks for all your help KrustyReturns. I really appreciate the help and the great PVR.
Hey Krusty, never mind, I think I got it squared away. I thought it was the build 1199 but it crashed again after a very long time of running successfully.

I remembered there being an issue with that client in a different way but it was back when I was trying to go from Frodo to Gotham. It was a little different of an issue, but changing some of the settings around I think I have it fixed.

I went into Settings >> Video >> Acceleration and changed it from Auto-Detect to Software and I have been more successful.
Yeah, sorry for my delay. Glad you got it worked out, thanks for following up.
So, I've still been battling this issue and it turns out that when I disable my McAfee firewall on the Windows 7 client the issue of the TV freezing goes away. Is there anything that I need to configure with the firewall to not have this issue anymore?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV Freezes and Locks Up Kodi0