Win10 NUC with Kodi on separate USB 2 drive?
Currently got Kodibuntu installed on a N2820 NUC. NUC had 32gb SSD for OS, 4 GB RAM and external USB 2 drive for media. Runs really well overall except a few things that I think would be better on Windows like RCB.

I've been using Win10 on an older computer and it seems to run snappy. I'm interested in putting it on the SSD but think I'd need to put Kodi on the external USB 2 drive due to the large folders of scraper thumbs... Think it will still run about as fast as Kodibuntu set up like this?

Or is there another solution in the Win version of Kodi where the thumbs can be safely stored on the same drive as the media?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Any version of Kodi can store thumbs in a different location using path substitution
It says the path substitution isn't ideal for thumbs though... Something about SQL errors. Have you tried?

Was wondering if anyone was running Kodi itself off a USB 2 drive successfully when Windows is on a different drive...
(2015-07-01, 08:08)ChimChim Wrote: It says the path substitution isn't ideal for thumbs though... Something about SQL errors. Have you tried?

Was wondering if anyone was running Kodi itself off a USB 2 drive successfully when Windows is on a different drive...

no, it says sharing the thumbs between multiple clients via path substitution isn't ideal - moving them to another (local) drive/folder for storage reasons is fine.

installing Kodi to a USB drive is pointless since no data is stored in the actual program directory, it's all under the user's AppData folder. Which is why you need to use path substitution.
OK. That sounds good then. Thanks!
Path substitution works fine for thumbnails. What doesn't work is using path substitution to share a thumbnails folder between 2 or more kodi installations - that's when you (apparently) start getting errors.
Running everything off a usb drive also works - just run in portable mode so everything's stored in the same folder.
For myself I never use anything other than portable mode in windows.
also, I have no idea what RCB is, but if you're looking for the best Kodi experience on your NUC, it will likely be running OpenELEC, not Windows. Given that it's free and takes 5 minutes total to download/install, it's worth checking out before you saddle it down with Windows
trogggy, do you find any lag issues in the GUI or playback?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but FWIW...
Moving the thumbnails folder to usb in theory means artwork will be slower to load when you're viewing libraries. I have artwork on my sd card on my android tab, and it seems fine. I have the whole kodi installation on micro sd on my windows tab and that also seems fine. I haven't tested back-to-back, as it's not been an issue - and on both those devices I'd just rather not clutter up the internal memory.
There shouldn't be any playback issues - kodi might take a bit longer to load from usb but as I understand it once it's loaded it's running from ram anyway.

I agree with Matt re openelec though. I'm still using a couple of old revo 3610s, and the difference between kodi on windows and openelec is marked, whether using usb or installing to the hdd.
I switched from OpenELEC to Kodibuntu to get a more robust system. Having a SSD makes it run as well as OPenELEC was on an older HDD.

But still have problems with Rom Collection browser and a few other things... That was why I was thinking of switching while k can get free windows 10.

It sounds like switching to windows might not be worthwhile in my case... I'll just look at a dedicated Raspberry Pi for games maybe.

Thanks for some good ideas for moving my thumbs though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win10 NUC with Kodi on separate USB 2 drive?0