Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues
Thanks very much rob77.

So in summary, the new driver doesn't make much difference: 11ac is still flaky with both drivers, 11n 5GHz works fine with both drivers, and 11bgn 2.4GHz is fine with both drivers.

Not seeing much reason to upgrade the drivers in the release build, to be honest. Sad
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi Milhouse

Actually Id leave the updated driver in. I have just done a downgrade to to the last test build of kodi 15 and I can't even connect to any network now. I can see the networks including my neighbours but clicking connect doesn't prompt for password.

So going to upgrade back to 0710 which works great with the newer drivers .

Cheers

Edit to say I have got it working again by fully powering off at the mains and booting it back up again. I will check connection with the older driver now.
(2015-07-11, 23:05)rob77 Wrote: Edit to say I have got it working again by fully powering off at the mains and booting it back up again. I will check connection with the older driver now.

Any update?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Sorry for the late reply. It performed fine on 5Ghz and 150mbps. Anything over that and it was no go.

I think the problem with the adaptor is it doesn't like to be over 150mbps. I don't know if this is a driver or hardware fault? Or perhaps a limitation of the pi?
OK I'm going to drop the updated driver from the next build #0713 as I can't determine that it has made any significant or clear difference on 5GHz - 11n/5GHz works with both drivers but 11ac remains unusable with both drivers, and 2.4GHz performance seems to be unchanged.

5GHz 11ac problems appear to be channel or router related, and not improved by the new driver.

If OE decide to merge the PR I submitted that's up to them, but there seems no compelling reason to do so other than the new repo is actively maintained and the current repo appears to be dead.
Cheers Milhouse for all your hard work.
If you're on 802.11ac, may I ask which channel you are using?
I'm using the same wlan stick with my Pi2 running OSMC and had the problem with its first RC that it would just connect to channels below 52, but since then it also works with channels higher than that.
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
Channel 44 I am currently connected to but this is at 150Mhz and wireless N.
Just to say that OpenELEC master updated yesterday to the new RTL8812AU driver/repository, so this new driver may be in the next OpenELEC 6.x. official build (probably OE 6 RC1).
Hi milhouse

Is the new driver the one you tested for a couple of builds earlier?
Yes.
Hi, is this in the open elec beta3?
Yes.
I just picked up a 7811UTC and it drops consistently within minutes on 5.0Ghz ac. I'm running OpenELEC 5.0.8 with a Netgear R7000. It is especially obvious when trying to watch live streams. The adapter is definitely functional when running iperf and transfers at good speed. It just has consistent disconnecting issues as noted by others on this post on wireless ac. Has anyone figured out the cause and a fix for this? I would love to use this adapter and get off 2.4Ghz.
(2015-08-14, 03:05)Shazb0t Wrote: Has anyone figured out the cause and a fix for this? I would love to use this adapter and get off 2.4Ghz.

You need to try OE 5.95.3, or popcornmix's almost OE6.0 build. If the problem persists in either of these builds then post again, but 5.0.8 is no longer under development.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues0