Frodo, Kodi and mySQL
Question 
I'm currently running 4 boxes with XBMC 12.4 (Frodo), synced with MySQL. This is working great, but I think it's time to update. I want to install Kodi v15 on one of the machines, but don't want it to interfere with the current setup. My question is, what happens when Kodi installs? Since the name changed, I imagine it will install to different folder (Kodi vs XBMC). But, will it take the settings from the XBMC install? Will it mess with the database at all?

Assuming I can install this alongside XBMC, can I then setup a separate MySQL database to sync between another install?

Thanks
It will install to a new folder, and it will ask if you want to upgrade/migrate data from the previous version and remove the previous version. You can opt for no if you prefer and migrate your data by hand. As for the MySQL database. It will upgrade the databases to a new one upon first access of the databases leaving the old one in place. You'll see a new MyMusic and MyVideos database created. So you can update one XBMC install to Kodi, yet still run all the old XBMC installs. During the database upgrades it may take Kodi a while to load the first time. It could appear stuck on the boot logo. Depending on how large your databases are it could take a few seconds or many minutes.

You should backup your XBMC userdata and MySQL databases just in case though.

See the wiki for the location of your userdata folder. Seeing as you are running a mySQL setup, I would assume you know where these files are located.
(2015-07-02, 21:45)kricker Wrote: Seeing as you are running a mySQL setup, I would assume you know where these files are located.

Not really Blush. It's been up and running for awhile, and I tend to forget anything not used recently! But, I think I can figure it out.

Thanks! I figured it would work that way. I just couldn't find anything to confirm it.
Just do your backups just in case. Let me know if you run into any issues.
To be safe, when I updated, I put my new install in portable mode after exporting to separate. Didn't touch my current version at all. Was able to update mysql and test before updating the others.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo, Kodi and mySQL0