• 8(current)
OpenELEC Surprise
(2015-07-12, 11:23)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 09:42)nickr Wrote: Example from the list pointed to of European channels: Thor 5 11785H - total 66.8 Mbps. But there are 6 channels on there so an average of 11Mbps per channel. Even if real world is 60% of 100Mbps Ethernet, you can stream 5 channels at once around your house at that sort of bitrate.

Yep - my point was that if you tuned to 2 x DVB-S2 transponders you could easily hit >100Mbs if you streamed all channels. I realise this is quite unlikely - but there are scenarios where you might want to do this, and the lack of GigE would prevent you. I suspect this is quite niche...
I'm gonna nickname this "Noggin Niche" Almost sounds like a Brandname stamp you would put on a quality TV product ! Wink

(2015-07-12, 11:25)fritsch Wrote: A USB2 GigE dongle would help there, right? For 480 Mbit/s at least?

Yep - think that would be the solution. It's a very niche requirement for most people. (Apart from me...)
(2015-07-12, 10:32)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 08:44)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm pretty sure ATV1 is 100 meg ethernet Smile

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP19?locale=en_US
Cheers Ned I stand corrected. Still works better than the limited bandwidth RPi2.

What issues do you have with the Pi 2 and DVB streaming?

(Sorry off-topic)
I would need at least 1 other if not 2 more ATSC turners if I were to get this box. We cut the cord a couple of months ago and only go with Netflix+Amazon Prime video+OTA So thanks for the heads up on that Noggin. I am looking at least another $50 ontop of the price for the box if not another $100 if I were to get 2 extra turners. We would have 2 bedrooms+living room to stream to.10/100 should handle 3 different streams perfectly fine for OTA HD.
(2015-07-12, 11:36)Topken Wrote: I would need at least 1 other if not 2 more ATSC turners if I were to get this box. We cut the cord a couple of months ago and only go with Netflix+Amazon Prime video+OTA So thanks for the heads up on that Noggin. I am looking at least another $50 ontop of the price for the box if not another $100 if I were to get 2 extra turners. We would have 2 bedrooms+living room to stream to.10/100 should handle 3 different streams perfectly fine for OTA HD.

Yes - three different channels (ignoring sub-channels) would need three different tuners.

The fact that Wetek are selling an ATSC version is good news for North America, but beware that ATSC support may not be quite as good as DVB, as I believe the main VDR and TV Headend devs are based in Europe and thus don't have access to real-world ATSC stuff for testing (though I know that they have streams recorded and are able to remotely test some stuff I believe)
(2015-07-12, 11:40)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 11:36)Topken Wrote: I would need at least 1 other if not 2 more ATSC turners if I were to get this box. We cut the cord a couple of months ago and only go with Netflix+Amazon Prime video+OTA So thanks for the heads up on that Noggin. I am looking at least another $50 ontop of the price for the box if not another $100 if I were to get 2 extra turners. We would have 2 bedrooms+living room to stream to.10/100 should handle 3 different streams perfectly fine for OTA HD.

Yes - three different channels (ignoring sub-channels) would need three different tuners.

The fact that Wetek are selling an ATSC version is good news for North America, but beware that ATSC support may not be quite as good as DVB, as I believe the main VDR and TV Headend devs are based in Europe and thus don't have access to real-world ATSC stuff for testing (though I know that they have streams recorded and are able to remotely test some stuff I believe)

Might be why there are only 3 USB based ATSC turners on the Openelec list. and one of them is $25 but it has a lot of 1 star reviews while the next one/step is a $50 turner which doesn't have many 1 star reviews so for this this is not looking cheap.
(2015-07-12, 11:44)Topken Wrote:

Might be why there are only 3 USB based ATSC turners on the Openelec list. and one of them is $25 but it has a lot of 1 star reviews while the next one/step is a $50 turner which doesn't have many 1 star reviews so for this this is not looking cheap.

Would a hdhomerun be something to look at?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes it would and I would be looking at a network attached one instead of purchasing 1 per tv. That is if its possible to get a 3 OTA tuner networked attached box.

Ok after checking it looks like the HDHomeRun EXTEND would be the one I would get. 2 turners with the ability to stream to mobile devices as well as to the tvs.

There appear to be far fewer Linux supported ATSC 8VSB OTA USB tuners on sale than DVB-T models. Suspect because OTA is far less dominant in North America than it is in some parts of the DVB-T/T2 territories.
(2015-07-12, 10:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Can Hard Drives be mounted internally in these boxes ?

there is place for a harddrive in the box, but you must create your own mount solution. internally this box has 1 USB Port where the RF receiver from the remote is connected.
greetings, Stephan

Some images:

to replace / remove the Tuner press here:

then remove/replace the tuner:

The Mainboard:
you can see the internal USB connector where the RF dongle is connected. (the original WeTek Box has 2 internal USB connectors where the security chip is connected, in the OpenELEC Box The Security Chip is done a a SIM - like Card)

Another View:

The Board and Top Cover (you see there is some place for internal "Hacks":
greetings, Stephan

(2015-07-12, 12:16)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 11:40)noggin Wrote: Yes - three different channels (ignoring sub-channels) would need three different tuners.

There appear to be far fewer Linux supported ATSC 8VSB OTA USB tuners on sale than DVB-T models. Suspect because OTA is far less dominant in North America than it is in some parts of the DVB-T/T2 territories.

I would be picking up a Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-950Q for $50 since the $25 KWorld UB435-Q has a bunch of 1 star reviews.
(2015-07-12, 12:47)Topken Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 12:16)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 11:44)Topken Wrote: Might be why there are only 3 USB based ATSC turners on the Openelec list. and one of them is $25 but it has a lot of 1 star reviews while the next one/step is a $50 turner which doesn't have many 1 star reviews so for this this is not looking cheap.

I would be picking up a Hauppauge 1191 WinTV-HVR-950Q for $50 since the $25 KWorld UB435-Q has a bunch of 1 star reviews.

That Hauppauge model is well regarded I believe. This page may be useful - though I don't know if OpenElec in the Wetek OpenElec box includes all the Linux ATSC drivers : http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices
(2015-07-12, 13:23)noggin Wrote: This page may be useful - though I don't know if OpenElec in the Wetek OpenElec box includes all the Linux ATSC drivers : http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices

if such a driver is missing and works with the kernel we use in the WeTek builds, please request support for this in our forum/github
greetings, Stephan

(2015-07-12, 13:45)sraue Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 13:23)noggin Wrote: This page may be useful - though I don't know if OpenElec in the Wetek OpenElec box includes all the Linux ATSC drivers : http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices

if such a driver is missing and works with the kernel we use in the WeTek builds, please request support for this in our forum/github

I assume since the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q is on the list of supported USB turners that the drivers are part of openelec already.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Surprise9