• 9(current)
OpenELEC Surprise
That sadly depends. Most vendoers have different revisions - so the USB IDs might change and we need to add special support.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For me it would be between the openelec surprise box with 1-2 extra USb turners likely the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q or an HDHomeRun EXTEND the open elec box with 1 extra turner would be roughly $140 while the HDHomeRun EXTENd would be about $130 it would be about $190 if I were to go with 2 extra turners on the Openelec box.

I need something that can feed multiple tvs+mobile devices from over the network. The TV in the living room has an Amazon Fire TV already since we use it as a netflix box right now so I could use that as the front end for that room using Kodi.
Mobile devices may not work brilliantly with TV Headend on a Wetek. I wouldn't expect the Wetek to be up to CPU transcoding multiple HD MPEG2 streams, and you may find your mobile devices don't like HD MPEG2. I think HDHR Extend has built in transcode support, so that may be a better fit for your use case? Will depend on mobile devices in question.
(2015-07-12, 13:53)Topken Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 13:45)sraue Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 13:23)noggin Wrote: This page may be useful - though I don't know if OpenElec in the Wetek OpenElec box includes all the Linux ATSC drivers : http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices

if such a driver is missing and works with the kernel we use in the WeTek builds, please request support for this in our forum/github

I assume since the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q is on the list of supported USB turners that the drivers are part of openelec already.

They may not be - there is no guarantee stuff like firmware and specific drivers are compiled into OE, particularly for ATSC devices that may not be used as much by the core OE devs. Equally there is no guarantee there won't be support either.

That said - the OE dev team are amazingly responsive and helpful with this. (When a new DVB-T2 device appeared that needed a patch for even the Media Build to support it, it was in OE dev builds within days, long before anything else supported it.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the OpenElec team are brilliant.
Note 4 or my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (2013) for Playback on the mobile side. For the my bedroom it would either be my Lenovo Thinkpad T420 or an older HP desktop with a intel e2180 cpu and a gt 220 gpu along with 2gb of ram.
Bedroom PC should be fine I'd expect. Question is whether Note 4 or Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 can cope with MPEG2 HD and Dolby Audio native (as TV Headend will stream from ATSC) or whether they need a transcoded stream (say to H264 + AAC audio)?
I assume since the mobile devices are both running android I could use Kodi as a front end along with my MOGA Pro Power as a remote per say. So kodi should handle Dolby audio just fine right? As for MPEG2 I have no idea would need a few test files to take a look.
(2015-07-12, 14:05)noggin Wrote: Mobile devices may not work brilliantly with TV Headend on a Wetek. I wouldn't expect the Wetek to be up to CPU transcoding multiple HD MPEG2 streams, and you may find your mobile devices don't like HD MPEG2. I think HDHR Extend has built in transcode support, so that may be a better fit for your use case? Will depend on mobile devices in question.
From an Apple perspective...
I have compiled and put Kodi Isengard on to a 3 year old iPad3. SD mpeg2 is fine but HD mpeg2 is too much for it to handle and upscale on a Retina screen. I would think recent more powerful Apple mobile devices would be just fine.

I will not buy one but i want to say thank you to all oe staff for oe software
For US/ATSC users, the Mygica A680B works just fine on OpenELEC: http://www.meritline.com/mygica-usb-atsc...38513.aspx

Seems no better or worse than my Hauppauge 950Q, but your mileage may vary. I haven't used it for an extended period of time, so for all I know either of them might blow up or try to steal your wallet.
Just arrived and tested with some mkv 1080p, all ok and smooth.
It's my perfect solution waiting something with 4K HEVC playback capabilities.
I can't believe how quickly I got it. It was sitting on my door step this morning at 8 before I left for work. Looking forward to playing with it later tonight.
Can anyone confirm that 23.976 works fine before i order it as my backup box ?
I can confirm that 23.976/59.94Hz support was added to the AMlogic Kernel code back in February for all AMlogic SoC's.

OpenElec v5.0.5 looks like it added this in Firmware for the Wetek Play here:
http://openelec.tv/forum/146-wetek-play/...elec-5-0-5

I wanted to add my experience as well as a friendly "beware"....

I purchased two of these boxes to experiment with, but unfortunately it didn't fill my expectations. My comments below are compared to my experience with a Asus Chromebox M004U. Also, I am using all defaults (i.e. Confuence skin, etc...)

On unboxing I removed the ATSC card and inserted the 'blank' as I am using it as a client only. Also, this box is a lot bigger than I anticipated. For some reason I thought it was a 'Pi' sized box. All the specs are in cm and I never bothered to do a conversion to see how big it was in inches, so that's on me. Wink I also hooked up my Microsoft IR receiver as I wanted to use my Microsoft remote. Network was hard wired to a gigabit switch (although this box is only 10/100.)

The boot was quick and it has a snazzy new logo. I installed the latest version of Openelec (via the UI, not manuallly.) I then configured most of the settings, resolution, audio, etc. One thing I noticed right away was the menus were sluggish. When I scroll through lists I expect the cursor to keep up with my clicks and unfortunately it was lagging (this was via a keyboard, not the remote.)

I then configured the live tv (Mediaportal add-on) and copied over my Samba, custom remote mapping and advanced config files for my movie/tv series database then rebooted. Again, the boot time was quick. I then started playing around with live tv and movies. All content played great, h264, VC1, Mpeg2 videos. Content ranged from 1080p blurays to 720p live tv, all seem to play fine with no stutter/skipping.

The downfall was the menu animations. I expect a smooth experience all around. It is very annoying to scroll through menus that lag behind and have a lot of jitter. The menu jitter is very annoying when watching a move or live tv. I do not use refresh rate change, so my refresh rate stays at 60hz at all times. Unfortunately this box doesn't seem to have enough horsepower to keep up with the animations.

The only other negative is it does not have HD audio. I read a few posts on this before I purchased so I wasn't surprised that the HD audio settings were not available.

Bottom line is are the menu animations & HD Audio important to you? To me animations are part of the entire experience so it is critical that it be smooth. I talk to people all the time about my setup and most ask for recommendations, which is the biggest reason I tried this box. I am always looking for a cheap alternative to Chromebox, ZBox or NUC's to recommend. Unfortunately I haven't found one yet that compares...
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Surprise9