Upgrading Kodi for windows
I'm thinking of moving to the new Kodi v15 RC1, and I just want to make sure that upgrading is as simple as downloading the installer for the new version and running it. I don't need to uninstall the old version first do I? I do have backups of the settings just in case something goes wrong.
Just install it over the old version.

If you want to keep both, until you're sure everything works, do a portable installation and copy your data folder to it.
For the life of me I can't understand why portable installs are not standard on windows.
Yep, see Isengard FAQ (wiki) and be sure to backup (wiki) just to be safe.
Or if you do want to overwrite, don't bother to uninstall the older version, as the installer will do it for you as part of the upgrade (although leaving your data etc behind).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I am on Gotham, will I need to reinstall all my add-ons again after upgrade?
For the most part, the add-ons will remain part of your add-on folder, but in a lot of cases there will be updates available for the transition. There might be the odd add-on in which the developer has not yet updated, in which case the add-ons will break or not list. Check the support forum for that add-on before you just delete it, there maybe and update/fix that has yet to hit the repository.
If you're still on Gotham you might want to read this first: Migration (wiki)
I assume my .m3u playlists would be safe also. What about the changes to the keymap.XML file I made, can just save it and overwrite it in Kodi?
(2015-08-01, 00:05)music_lover Wrote: I assume my .m3u playlists would be safe also. What about the changes to the keymap.XML file I made, can just save it and overwrite it in Kodi?
I've decided to install a fresh kodi current version on a new box and migrate my add-ons from old PC. What's the best way to do this?
When in doubt its always best to start fresh.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading Kodi for windows0