v15 Checking The Effect Of Different Settings
Video stuttering, jumping, hesitation, stalling etc. etc. crop up on this forum many times and there is a huge number of combinations of settings to try to get the best for one particular box or for one particular user's needs.

At the moment when I try different settings I test them on a news page, like BBC World News, and look at the moving banner. I do not feel this is in any way scientific enough and would therefore like to ask the forum if there exists a video of "standard motion" (for want of a better description), which has repeated simple movements of text or pictures or both so that different settings can be checked one against another with confidence.
This probably isn't the best, most scientific method, but it worked for me when trying to gauge judder and try various 120Hz and Noise Reduction settings on my HDTV to beat it. I played back the 1920x1080 version of "Guardians of the Galaxy" and noticed there is a scene about 11:34 in from the start of the actual movie where "Starlord" has just gotten back onto his ship and escaped the planet and been reminded he has a passenger... Right after that the ship does a roundabout and zooms away coming close to the right fore of the screen and then zipping away in a turn with no visible judder so motion not an issue, but a full screen pan just after gets interesting.

The next scene opens on his retro cassette tape player and has a small pattern of white LED looking lighting on a panel at screen lower left. The camera begins panning to the left and the white lighting starts jumping and juddering and the inside of the ship judders once or twice as the pan continues until it stops on "Starlord" and his forgotten passenger. This was a full screen pan and with the bright white LED sort of lighting on that panel it stuck out like a sore thumb. With 120Hz setting and noise reduction the judder is eliminated to the point of being very nearly a perfect pan to my eyes. -EXTREMELY slight judder of the lighting panel only and I can't imagine any normal person would really spot it due to the short period and very minimal motion effect if they are just watching a movie, not looking for flaws in the playback.

Maybe someone has a better standard, but what I described stuck out like a sore thumb before playing with the HDTV settings.
(2015-07-05, 08:46)technisol Wrote: This probably isn't the best, most scientific method, but it worked for me when trying to gauge judder and try various 120Hz and Noise Reduction settings on my HDTV to beat it. I played back the 1920x1080 version of "Guardians of the Galaxy" and noticed there is a scene about 11:34 in from the start of the actual movie where "Starlord" has just gotten back onto his ship and escaped the planet and been reminded he has a passenger... Right after that the ship does a roundabout and zooms away coming close to the right fore of the screen and then zipping away in a turn with no visible judder so motion not an issue, but a full screen pan just after gets interesting.

The next scene opens on his retro cassette tape player and has a small pattern of white LED looking lighting on a panel at screen lower left. The camera begins panning to the left and the white lighting starts jumping and juddering and the inside of the ship judders once or twice as the pan continues until it stops on "Starlord" and his forgotten passenger. This was a full screen pan and with the bright white LED sort of lighting on that panel it stuck out like a sore thumb. With 120Hz setting and noise reduction the judder is eliminated to the point of being very nearly a perfect pan to my eyes. -EXTREMELY slight judder of the lighting panel only and I can't imagine any normal person would really spot it due to the short period and very minimal motion effect if they are just watching a movie, not looking for flaws in the playback.

Maybe someone has a better standard, but what I described stuck out like a sore thumb before playing with the HDTV settings.

Absolutely first rate. Thank you so much for your reply. This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for to compare different settings, such as refresh rate, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Checking The Effect Of Different Settings0