Solved Kodi not recognizing and organizing video files
I recently decided to overhaul my media pc and did a clean build from the ground up. I will do my best to provide any information that you request in order to help solve my issue.

The tl;dr version:
I used Videos>Files>Add Videos>... to add my movie and tv directories, designating each to the correct media type, but kodi does not update the library to reflect the files that exist in these directories. So, I can access each file manually via browsing directories but not via the super-cool interface we all know and love.

Some more details:
Kodi: 14.2

Running as a regular user with full permissions to the directory where media is located, on a new external hard drive (new_drive). Used filebot to rename tv to <series name (year)>-<SXEX>-<Episode title>.<ext>. Updated the library after adding the directories, and tried manually refreshing content from the context menu in the video file browser. No updated library.

Something else to note:
I have my old media hard drive (old_drive) loaded as well, but I plan on reformatting and repurposing that once I figure out the issue at hand. If I add directories from that old hard drive, when using kodi as root, then everything updates nicely and the libraries update as desired. However, old_drive has been around for a while and was formatted as ntfs and is just a pain with permissions in linux. I can't load my old media as a regular user, or fix it in an easy way, though and I don't want to run the shared media pc as root all the time. I want to use new_drive, which is freshly formatted ext4 and ready to rumble.

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions you offer. I will do my best to promptly provide any additional information you require to help me fix this issue.
Please enable debug logging, restart kodi, try to add those episodes and pastebin the complete kodi.log. The naming used is fine so i suspect the scanner is skipping the dirs for some reason.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for the reply! Here is the paste of my logs: http://pastebin.com/PrCDfzfm

By the way, I added a movie to my movies folder last night and it added just fine, but no change in the tv stuff ... so...

Let me know if any more info will help my cause.
You have to use a parent folder for every show like eg. /path/to/The Fosters (2013)/3x04 - More Than Words.mkv. Please see http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows for more information.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I have always had the best luck with structures like \episodes\Show Name\Season XX\Show Name - SXXEXX - Title.avi

I would recommend using something like Sickbeard, Sonarr or Ember Media Manager to prepare your collection for scanning in Kodi. They can drop the correct nfo files in the right places, making the scanning much easier in my experience.
@mkortstiege Thanks, again, for all of your help so far. I modified my directory structure to fit the requirements. Unfortunately, it hasn't fully resolved my problem. Two shows seem to have been properly processed but the others have not. Strange...

Here is the latest log file, after trying to update the library: http://pastebin.com/6Z1x2Dnw

Here is another log file, after first attempting the "Clean Library..." function before trying to update the library: http://pastebin.com/QawuKuwi

@UnicornBE My current structure is very similar /media/video/tv/Show Name/Season XX/Show Name - SXXEXX - Title.ext I've used sickbeard in the past but I'm trying filebot out this time around.
Regarding to the wiki mkortstiege linked you to, here are only two subfolders under TV-Shows allowed/recommended. So I see 2 things in here...

Quote:17:10:17 T:140233241077504 WARNING: Process directory '/mnt/media_hd2/video/tv/The Fosters (2013) - 3x04 - More Than Words.mkv/' does not exist - skipping scan.

It seems, 'mnt' is the source folder and '/media_hd2/video/tv' are the 3 subfolders, where it should only be 2. And there is a 'tv show name' folder and a 'tv show season ##' folder missing. Looking at '3x04' there shouldmbe at least 3 seasons.

Regarding to the wiki I would try it the following way:

Select 'tv' as the source. Make 2 subfolders ('tv show name' and 'tv show season ##') and then put the files after the 'tv show season ##' folder and try again.

I think this is completely different if you use NFO files for the scan. So I think you can't compare this.

Greetings
The best way to do it is

sourcedir/Show Name/Season NN/Show Name SNNENN Episode Title.mkv
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks, everybody, for all the help. After, basically, emtying all of my sources and then re-propogating them with the proper directory and filename structures the problem appears to be resolved.
(2015-07-07, 17:38)cos5000 Wrote: Thanks, everybody, for all the help. After, basically, emtying all of my sources and then re-propogating them with the proper directory and filename structures the problem appears to be resolved.

Glad to hear. Thanks for reporting back.
Hi I know its been a long time.

But I am having the same issue with the same show.

No matter what I do it wont show up in Kodi.

have it as The Fosters (2013)/Season 1/ then have tried S01E01 1x01 names in it, tried renaming it with .'s and without the ('s and without the date, but for some reason I cannot get it to show at all.
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not recognizing and organizing video files0