Android passthrough broke on 15.0, OK on 13.3
Dear,

I found that when using Gotham V13.3, passthrough works and when hitting the volume keys in system, no change would happen.

While in 15.0 beta 2 and 15.0 RC1, when volume keys are pressed, the message "passthrough audio in use" would display for a while and the audio starts failing and becoming static noises.

The same setup running on V13.3 doesn't experience the same issue.

Best Regards,
K
I don't know when exactly this problem was introduced.
There should be something wrong in between V13.3 & V15.0 relating to passthrough.

Maybe it's a direction to dig into.

Thanks.
For just the Rockchip SOCs or also for AMLogic SOCs?
(2015-07-05, 05:44)Ned Scott Wrote: For just the Rockchip SOCs or also for AMLogic SOCs?

Amlogic, it happens when turning volume down, turning it up back to the original level the audio will be back.
The static noise gets smaller with the down volume level.
Thanks.

I could test on other platforms tomorrow.
uploading a video to illustrate the problem , please wait.
passthrough static noise:

This doesn't happen @ V13.3
I think it happened between 15 Alpha 2 and 15 Beta 1. I got the issue the other night on the AMLogic CX-S806 S802 processor and it's still running Beta 1 -not really something you're likely to run into once you get it through your noggin that you can't use the box volume control... except it was late and I had a brainfart. I think I just reset, went back to my video and totally forgot about it by next day.

I backtracked the download directory on the box and am pretty sure Alpha 2 was about the time I got anything past 13.2 working on this box and recall just getting the "passthrough audio in use" message and being surprised as I'd never seen it in Stane's 13.2 that I'd been running. Wish I could narrow it down more, but I think it has to be in that and range and only downloaded a couple nightlies between them and don't recall seeing the issue, but likely because I'd learned to leave the box remote alone after getting 15 Alpha going with passthrough on my setup...
As of Isengard, the device has control of volume rather than Kodi. This was a requirement now that Android-powered TV has popped-up, or they wouldn't be able to control the volume of AVR connected via CEC.
We make sure volume is at 100% when doing passthrough, but if you still manually alter volume and the box doesn't prevent it, you'll (probably) get static because:

1) the box doesn't prevent you to do so
2) it mixes a PT bitstream which it shouldn't

So, device issue...
(2015-07-05, 09:43)Koying Wrote: As of Isengard, the device has control of volume rather than Kodi. This was a requirement now that Android-powered TV has popped-up, or they wouldn't be able to control the volume of AVR connected via CEC.
We make sure volume is at 100% when doing passthrough, but if you still manually alter volume and the box doesn't prevent it, you'll (probably) get static because:

1) the box doesn't prevent you to do so
2) it mixes a PT bitstream which it shouldn't

So, device issue...

1.) Your old versions work fine...
2.) CEC control works on both old and new versions (CEC controls the volume of the external amplifier or TV, not the system volume, via TV remote)
3.) Volume is 100% during passthrough no matter how much the system volume is set to.

Let's don't draw a conclusion that soon.
In Gotham 13.3 system volume was disabled when passthrough mode is active, thus avoiding this problem from happening.

Uploading a video, when pressing volume buttons with system remote (not TV remote), nothing would happen/change,

only a message telling you "passthrough audio in use".

It was the right approach and should be maintained.
(2015-07-05, 10:14)minixhk Wrote: 1.) Your old versions work fine...
2.) CEC control works on both old and new versions (CEC controls the volume of the external amplifier or TV, not the system volume, via TV remote)
3.) Volume is 100% during passthrough no matter how much the system volume is set to.

Please read carefully my response.

1) Yeah, works in Gotham and Helix as we grabbed the volume key, there. I said "As of Isengard".
2) I'm talking about actual TV running Android (Sony, Phillips, ..) as their smartOS, and thus which can run Kodi natively. If Kodi grabs the volume, they're in trouble, as it's the actual TV remote volume keys which are captured, so CEC volume commands to AVR are not passed.
3) Not sure what you mean. Kodi displays a message saying you CANNOT alter volume during passthrough, but do not enforce it as the device is master
I don't understand why you commented as a "device issue",

before these TVs came out, and before the Isengard modification, there were no issues at all.

Why it became a device issue now when no change was done on the device side?
Because the devices have to prevent system volume changes when in passthrough if that causes an issue. Kodi won't do it in place of the firmware anymore (same as permissions).
Fact is that there a zillion more engineers working on device firmwares than Kodi android developers (=1).

The world changes, and we have to adapt, or we might just call Helix "Kodi Final" and do something else Wink
Those new android-powered TV have as much rights to have a working Kodi as any other, and not being able to control the TV/AVR sound volume at all is much more troublesome than doing mumble-jumble to prevent users altering volume on the device when in passthrough (which makes no sense at all, btw).

Actually, if it was me, I'd disable sound volume control on boxes altogether, Nexus Player style.
And while TV are output as stereo, why users need to enable passthrough if they're not outputting it to AVR?

I agree during passthrough there is no point to alter the system volume, as it does nothing but there are mis-pressing by users that we can't avoid.

(I drafted this reply 15 minutes ago).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
passthrough broke on 15.0, OK on 13.30