Windows 8.1 SMB share
There seems to be issues for some to access protected shares on Win 8.1 PC.
I'm not using it daily, personally, but here is the test that worked for me:

1) Plain share doesn't seem to work with samba; Use Advanced Sharing
2) "Share this folder"
3) Click "Permissions"
4) Add appropriate users and permissions

Note: The userid to be used when connecting via a Microsoft account is the first name of the user account, not the email address.
Nice! I've added this to the wiki: http://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=SMB%2FW...ldid=96377
Koying, I replied in the original tread I created. Did not want to double post. Android - SMB Login issues Kodi v15
You should probably also create a Windows 10 sticky thread, because Windows 10 doesn't use your first name for the user folder, and it also won't work for SMB shares in Kodi 15. Windows 10 uses the first five characters from your email address for your user folder (not sure what it does if there's a name conflict), and that's also what works as the username for SMB shares in Kodi 15.

Of course, that only applies if you're using a connected Windows account. If you're using a local account, I think it works the old way, using the first name of your account name.

I still think the better solution would be to fix Kodi so that it can once again use your email address, as other software and even other versions of Kodi do. Then no stickys would be necessary, and it would be far less confusing.
Thanks for the info re win10.
This current solution isn't simple nor is it the right way to handle media shares.
In previous versions of windows all that was needed was to simply right click and select "share this folder" but from windows 7 and up you need to configure the share as though it was literally a windows file server. Simply put the simple file sharing that is obvious doesn't do what we need it to do. The most straight forward way to manage network shares is to open the Shared Folders MMC Snap In.

1. Launch Run (Windows Key + R)
2. type "fsmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and click ok
3. From this window you can manage your shares properly.
DO NOT CHANGE THE ADMIN SHARES - They are the default hidden shares and end with a $.
4. To create an open share:
a. Select Shares from the left hand navigation pane
a. Select Action from the menu bar
b. Select New Share
c. Follow the wizard. Leave the permissions page as everyone has read only.
d. Right click the share. and select properties
e. On the security tab you will need to add the Everyone security principle and give it read only access.
f. At this point the SMB share is created and everything on the network should be able to read the files but not change them.

If someone wishes for me to do a guide with photos pm me i just didn't feel like figuring out how to embed photos.
(2015-09-05, 00:01)TwistedisAGod Wrote: This current solution isn't simple nor is it the right way to handle media shares.
In previous versions of windows all that was needed was to simply right click and select "share this folder" but from windows 7 and up you need to configure the share as though it was literally a windows file server. Simply put the simple file sharing that is obvious doesn't do what we need it to do. The most straight forward way to manage network shares is to open the Shared Folders MMC Snap In.

1. Launch Run (Windows Key + R)
2. type "fsmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and click ok
3. From this window you can manage your shares properly.
DO NOT CHANGE THE ADMIN SHARES - They are the default hidden shares and end with a $.
4. To create an open share:
a. Select Shares from the left hand navigation pane
a. Select Action from the menu bar
b. Select New Share
c. Follow the wizard. Leave the permissions page as everyone has read only.
d. Right click the share. and select properties
e. On the security tab you will need to add the Everyone security principle and give it read only access.
f. At this point the SMB share is created and everything on the network should be able to read the files but not change them.

If someone wishes for me to do a guide with photos pm me i just didn't feel like figuring out how to embed photos.

I have a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to share my laptop's files to my Kodi installed on my Android TV Box. But I am having difficulty. Can you please post a step-by-step guide with pictures? I can use ES File Explorer to browse my shared folders on my laptop but can't seem to make it work for Kodi on my Android Box.

Thanks in advance...
I also want to share some of my desktop windows 10 HOME files with my KODI on a android box. When using SMB to share the files KODI keeps asking user and password. Using ES File Explorer with SMB connect I use the same user and password and now I have no problems to connect. Thanks for help.
If you're using Windows 10, for your username, use the name associated with your user folder. In my case, it's the first five characters of my email login. If you try using your email address, it won't work.

Even with everything set up and working, it's very flaky, with connection errors, so you may have to click on a folder a couple times before it works. And browsing for an SMB folder that's not already saved can often be a time-consuming process before you get through it with no errors.
Does the wake on loan still work using this workaround? Many thanks
So I recently got a new computer and have to use Windows 10 because they don't make drivers for this model for 7. I shared my folders like I always have, and fired up Jarvis. The SMB shares kept saying "invalid argument." I tried everything, the Homegroup workaround on the wiki, editing the registry, changing ownership and permissions, everything. Same result. On a lark, I decided to see if an old build of XBMC on my original Xbox could see the shares. As it turns out, they could see and play everything I have shared. Just passing this info along. I'd really like to get my shares working in Kodi. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.
(2016-02-11, 04:55)Babazoz Wrote: So I recently got a new computer and have to use Windows 10 because they don't make drivers for this model for 7. I shared my folders like I always have, and fired up Jarvis. The SMB shares kept saying "invalid argument." I tried everything, the Homegroup workaround on the wiki, editing the registry, changing ownership and permissions, everything. Same result. On a lark, I decided to see if an old build of XBMC on my original Xbox could see the shares. As it turns out, they could see and play everything I have shared. Just passing this info along. I'd really like to get my shares working in Kodi. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.

SMB share worked for me on Kodi 15.2. After upgrading to 16 I get "error 2: share not available". I would alsdo appreciate any help. Thanks
(2016-02-22, 04:47)leetnewt Wrote:
(2016-02-11, 04:55)Babazoz Wrote: So I recently got a new computer and have to use Windows 10 because they don't make drivers for this model for 7. I shared my folders like I always have, and fired up Jarvis. The SMB shares kept saying "invalid argument." I tried everything, the Homegroup workaround on the wiki, editing the registry, changing ownership and permissions, everything. Same result. On a lark, I decided to see if an old build of XBMC on my original Xbox could see the shares. As it turns out, they could see and play everything I have shared. Just passing this info along. I'd really like to get my shares working in Kodi. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.

SMB share worked for me on Kodi 15.2. After upgrading to 16 I get "error 2: share not available". I would alsdo appreciate any help. Thanks

Create a share folder on Windows 10 the same way as Windows 8 - See post #1 above. Put all related files in the share folder and do "Share with > Homegroup ..." to make it work
SMB on Windows 10 Share with option
(2016-02-22, 08:32)lv99 Wrote:
(2016-02-22, 04:47)leetnewt Wrote: [quote='Babazoz' pid='2241946' dateline='1455159337']
So I recently got a new computer and have to use Windows 10 because they don't make drivers for this model for 7. I shared my folders like I always have, and fired up Jarvis. The SMB shares kept saying "invalid argument." I tried everything, the Homegroup workaround on the wiki, editing the registry, changing ownership and permissions, everything. Same result. On a lark, I decided to see if an old build of XBMC on my original Xbox could see the shares. As it turns out, they could see and play everything I have shared. Just passing this info along. I'd really like to get my shares working in Kodi. If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate it.

Create a share folder on Windows 10 the same way as Windows 8 - See post #1 above. Put all related files in the share folder and do "Share with > Homegroup ..." to make it work
[url=http://imgur.com/13cc30M]SMB on Windows 10 Share with option[/ur

Somehow kasperskys firewall was blocking my network. Not sure what made it change its settings.

I'm also having the same issues trying to use smb with Windows 10. Sometimes when I try to access the share I get "invalid argument", sometimes it works fine, sometimes it will only display around half the files in the directory, and sometimes it will display everything except for .mkv files. I don't know why this is such a nightmare since smb has worked just fine since the old modded Xbox days, but it's really frustrating.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8.1 SMB share1