Android Installed lsengard on a 55" Sony android tv set.
Edit: Note - this is now 2 merged threads, hence the strange title for my post. My experience is of the 43" 755 series... Though presumably the experience re: Android and Kodi will be the same.

Evening all, long time Kodi (and XBMC) user, first time post...

I wanted to alert any who may be interested that the new (2015) Sony Android TV's (which i think are the 70 series and upwards, in various sizes from 43" and upwards) can have Kodi installed on them, and that it works!
Bear in mind that the firmware for the TV itself is still very actively in development (and lots of AV forum users have reported hiccups with sound etc), and some features are not yet live (YouView doesnt exist yet, is promised to launch Summer 2015).
Also, Kodi (via Google Play, so 15.0) of course remains RC1 at time of writing.
So lots could still change.

But going in to the menu system, installing Kodi, and then being greeted by the traditional Kodi Confluence interface (WITHOUT A HTPC)... Smile

Firstly, in settings, i wanted to see what hardware was shown up. Some type of dual core CPU, which was running at around 20% CPU power just in the background, though went up to close to 100% when scanning for files over a network / NAS.
The GPU was shown as a Mali T624, which i know is used in a few higher-end tablets (eg Note 3), and got me excited about the possibility of H265 Decode (for reference, my Quad-core Nexus 5 phone can decode H265 video at DVD and slightly higher resolution with typical bitrate, but chokes on 1080p decode).
I scanned a few network folders (CPU went up alot), and ran a few files.
I changed the Skin to the 'Arctic Zephyr' (which i have only just started playing with - beautiful, clean, and a nice 'Spotlight' feature for the main menu - very pretty).
The menu navigation was smooth. Fast flicking through multiple films (over 100) was pretty quick, perhaps not identical to my HTPC, but not slow. Much, much smoother and quicker than a Raspberry Pi (1).
I will also comment that the remote control buttons are well-mapped, and do exactly what you'd want them to - up, down, select etc. Even 'back', which is very needed for Kodi to work well. All good.
1080p H264 DTS files, slightly lower bitrate than BluRay - played perfectly.
1080p H265 DTS files (8GB for a 3 hour movie) - perfectly
Finally, i tried playing a file over the USB stick plugged in to the rear - recognised the USB drive, and was easy to navigate to the file, which then played well. Exactly as you'd expect.
So i'm happy. I think a little more development of Kodi, of the Skin, and of Android and it should be perfect.

Overall for me, i've run a few HTPC's over the years, inc Rasp Pi's, an Intel NUC.... and we are now in a position where the TV no longer requires a machine to process and feed it Smile
How does it handle media with different frame / refresh rates ?
Hey, thanks for the question.
A bit of a tricky one to answer - what i didnt write is that this was only a preliminary play for about an hour, and then the TV had to go back in the box - so it's not currently (easily) available for me to check Sad (Longer answer is that my house is about to get the builders in for a couple of months, and i wanted to jump to buy the TV now due to the free soundbar offer).

I was reading on AV forums (where i've also written a longer review of the TV, inc more details of TV setup and operation) that one user's initial findings are that internal sources of AV do not allow switching frame rates, but that something coming in from HDMI does.
I will endeavour to do what i can, but might need to pass this on for others to explore in the shorter term.

The overall principle though, i think, is that even if this range of TV's isnt quite perfect yet, with Phillips also producing Android TVs, and surely others will also follow, and then there is the newer version of Android coming out this year (M), and next year's revisions of TV's.... This is the beginning of not needing an external box.
lsengard runs ok on a 55" android tv set made by Sony.
(2015-07-06, 20:37)kronin Wrote: lsengard runs ok on a 55" android tv set made by Sony.

Maybe you can answer a few questions that people have asked me since my test, since I dont have my TV available to me at present...??
Hi all, i had a chance to play again with my 43W755, particularly with the Kodi app, and wanted to update on some thoughts and requests from this forum.

Firstly, the system itself, in terms of hardware. I thought it may help people who have questions to see what Kodi (current build 15.0 RC1) reports the system as being.
The CPU:
An ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v71)
Hardware: MT5890
CPU useage would sometimes drop to low 20% across the dual cores, sometimes however around 50%, and when scanning across the network to import files would increase to high 90%.

The GPU:
Mali-T624
OpenGL vendor: ARM
OpenGL version: OpenGL ES 3.1

Storage (onboard the TV - a fresh install, only Kodi added as an app)
Size: 8.2GB
Used: 2.3GB
Available: 5.9GB.

I tried playing back a number of files, of both H264 and H265, 25FPS and 23.976FPS, and all played smoothly. The framerate display when playing 23.976 jumped about a bit, from 23.8 (ish) to 24.1 (ish), but the visual image (to me) seemed good. Playing back 25FPS was rock solid.
The one that surprised me was playing back an MPEG4 (xvid) file, of 848x480 resolution - this had ALOT of dropped frames, and was not a smooth picture to watch. Something wrong there.

Finally, a comment about the menu system.
This is fairly responsive, however there is a delay in loading the images (of DVD covers or backgrounds, when using 'showcase' or 'poster' modes etc.
Compared to my full-fat HTPC, which is pretty much instantaneous, this is delayed, and would affect my experience of using Kodi on the built-in hardware.
Whilst not terrible, if you want to flick through some hundreds of files via the 'carousel' and arrive at the approx area, you have to wait for the images to load (maybe a couple of seconds?) before it's all fine.
Am now seriously considering retaining my HTPC because of this reason.
I just purchased the 49" 4K set, XBR49X830C and it uses the same processor as the previously mentioned model.

Though with the menuing, sometimes if rapidly pushing the directional buttons on the remote the TV will stop responding. This also happens outside of Kodi. It then takes a few seconds and everything is good again.

It plays 1080P h.264 with no issues whatsoever via hardware decoding.

1080P h.265 files encoded with handbrake using the MAIN profile setting also played flawlessly using hardware decoding. I was not able to playback the 1080P h.265 version of Sintel available on the DivX website within Kodi, I'm guessing that it is a 10 bit file. However it played back perfectly on the TVs built in video player.

VC1 files are only playable using software decoding and 1080P files stutter. Playback on the TVs built in player is not possible because the player didn't recognize the file as a video despite WMV being listed as a compatible codec/format. I suspect that Sony limited what types of WMV was supported as 720P WMV3 files were capable of playback in the built in player but were software playback in KODI. The 720P WMV3 files appeared to play smoothly in Kodi, but Kodi said that lots of frames were being skipped.

Both 4k h.264 and h.265 attempted to playback via software in Kodi. They playback perfectly in built in player as long as they don't exceed TV 4k resolution of 3840x2160. The Sintel 4k file from the DivX website wouldn't play in the built in player because it has a higher horizontal resolution. The files played back using Hardware decode in KODI on my Surface Pro 2 so I know it isn't a file issue.

I have read that Kodi can support 4K playback and Skin display in Isengard for Android if the hardware supports it but I haven't seen anything that says what determines if the hardware supports it or a place to change the display resolution. As far as I can tell it is currently locked into 1080P, I believe this because that is the resolution that the video calibration mentions when going through the video calibration settings in KODI. (this isn't necessary I was just trying to see if I could set the display resolution.) I suspect this might be why it is kicking back to software decode for the 4k files.

I was able to use Keymap Editor to remap a number of buttons on the remote. However the following couldn't be reymapped as they control TV functions or the TV wouldn't pass the codes to Kodi:
Input
Sync Menu
PIP button next to Sync Menu
PIC OFF
Netflix
Help
TV
Action Menu
Guide
Back
Discover
Home
Vol+ and -
Jump
Muting
CH + and -
Audio
Subtitle
Wide
Football
Cool, thanks StangGuy, appreciate your efforts there.
Mine is, unfortunately, back in its box awaiting our house undergoing redecorating.... Am hoping that in a few weeks the Sony TV firmware & software is better, and maybe Kodi will be a full release too. Perhaps some of the outstanding wrinkles might get sorted.
XMBC / Kodi user since 2010 / Dharma. OpenElec user since 2011 / Eden.
Previously used a dedicated HTPC - am now a Kodi user, directly installed to my Sony Bravia Android TV.
I have been doing a bit of testing myself using the rc2 build.

I have been going through my 1080p h.264 movies, dts/dd bitstreams to the amp fine, audio seems to be in sync, playback is smooth, the OSD reports zero skipped and dropped frames.

The only thing I found so far is that a can't install the transparency skin, it says dependency failed to install. Arctic Zephyr installed fine.
I'm currently using the Transparency skin with the RC2 build. When I first installed it on Saturday a dependency error popped up but Transparency installed and was I was able to switch to that skin.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled RC2 because I was playing with some things and was able to install Transparency with no error.
Hey all,
I recently bought a Sony x830 TV and wish to start watching via kodi, but I'm a total newby and would really appreciate some step by step instructions. Managed to download the app so far but I'm lost as to what to do next.. YouTube videos tend to show kodi on an android box and something tell me the installation and co figuration on an actual android tv are different. Please help a brother out.
Thanks a million.
Mostar,

You need to create a video (and/or music) library and add it to Kodi. The wiki will help you there.

Video_library (wiki)
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installed lsengard on a 55" Sony android tv set.1