Should I record Live TV to my NAS?
Now that I have my Fire stick working and the ability to run Kodi on things like Android tablets and my work W7 laptop, I wonder if I should look at using my NAS to record Live TV?

Currently I have a Buffalo NAS, its about 7 or so years old but I am thinking of upgrading it for a Synology Play. Does anyone else use their NAS for all content? Currently I keep Live TV and some ripped DVDs onto my main HTPC and the NAS keeps my main movie library and MP3s.

Thanks.
There are TV Headend and DVB Logic TV Source plugins for some models of NAS device - so using a NAS as a live TV server and for recordings makes sense for some people.
Hi, how does that work with the Tuner being in the HTPC? I am using NextPVR on W7 with Helix at the moment. I am wondering about putting all content on the NAS and putting a much smaller SSD drive into my HTPC. Any comments?

I am looking at the DS214play at the moment.
Ah - the solutions I'm talking about use the NAS as the host for the TV Tuner as well as the destination for the recordings. You stream your Live TV from the tuner connected to the NAS, and recordings are made by the NAS on the NAS. Means you can switch your HTPC off when not in use, and recordings are still made.

Of course, you can use a NAS just as the home of your recordings folder, but I thought you wanted to use it for Live TV too.
Well, I had'nt even considered it was possible! Yes it sounds like a good idea, will look into that! Can you suggest a good NAS for that? I assume I need a USB Tuner for it.
DVB Logic looks to be ok on the DS412play, will look into that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I record Live TV to my NAS?0