Set-top box for streaming question
I've been thinking about turning the big gaming desktop I own into a server and stream content from it to a set-top box. I want to stream both media and games. I also don't want to wait for the Steam Link, as I have no idea if it'll be able to be the all-purpose box I want it to.

However, I don't know what I should buy... I wanted to settle on an Nvidia Shield since it seems to provide Netflix support, which is a HUGE bonus. I also own an Nvidia GPU and don't intend to make the switch to AMD anytime soon (more like "never", actually... been there, done that, didn't like it Big Grin ). The Nvidia box also supports non-Steam games natively.

I considered the RasPi 2 but it's too weak to stream games at 1080p/60Hz, plus it doesn't support Netflix. Chromecast is too limited as well. Possibly an Amazon Fire TV would be a cheaper alternative to the Shield that does what I expect it to, but I'm not sure... And of course I could just wait for the Steam Link, if it's even possible to run Kodi on it and stream non-Steam games through it.

Could someone help me with it?
Just buy the Nvidia Shield Android TV box.

It at least have the lowest stream latency.
(2015-07-07, 14:18)RockerC Wrote: Just buy the Nvidia Shield Android TV box.

It at least have the lowest stream latency.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the base model, as I don't see the need for 500GB in it. Plus it comes with a wireless controller and has tons of other goodies.

Kodi should run well on it too since it's basically Android.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Set-top box for streaming question0