Yet another asking for advice thread - upgrade/update
I have been running a really old version of XBMC on an Apple Mac Mini - XBMC 11 I think on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM with NVidia GeForce 320M.
This has dealt with our primarily DVD ISO images and growing amounts of MKV of Bluray rips and youtube .mp4 downloads - I wouldn't say spectacularly, but the WAF factor was high, except for times when some random ISO or MKV would cause XBMC to just lock the macmini up like a brick, and odd image tearing issues on occasion that I have passed off to the video card. That's happening more and more frequently as I get newer media.

The whole reason we are using a macmini is that part of the high WAF is that you could take the mini out of the box, power it up, click on the .dmg and copy the application in place, run it and she didn't have to deal with me putting hardware together and tweaking things endlessly.

The further XBMC got from a simple file name listing for the available content the lower the WAF became, thus the older version without upgrades. We aren't the youngest any more, once we get accustomed to an interface changes aren't nearly as welcome. (It was suggested to me at one point on the XBMC forums that if I didn't like the fact that higher dev effort was put into interface eye-candy than getting basic ISO image playback working I should pound sand and move to Vlan, which is still a distinct possibility if I can figure out the remote situation.)

I have a nice, big fat NFS NAS that holds many TBs of existing media, and that is one of the minimum requirements -- everything has to read and write NFS with connectivity provided by a 1GB ethernet network.

We had been using the cableco DVR for cable/broadcast recordings for content of which we didn't own local media.
After experimenting with Netflix and Hulu we have decided to drop the cable connection for rental-only content.

That brings up the discussion with the wife of possibly upgrading the macmini and adding capabilities - finally.

I am not opposed to separate devices for netflix/hulu and xbmc, er... kodi I mean, however if something like the FireTV can run everything, I'm all for it.
I know there has been some sort of TV functionality in xbmc/kodi for a while, but I have never used it, as I have never had a tuner available.

I have spent the better part of two days wading through the hardware wiki, the sticky threads in this forum and I still don't have a clear picture of what hardware that I can buy and kodi on straight out of the product box. I'll spend a little extra if I have to just so that the wife doesn't see anything more than the box and install the application or an ISO image.

The most critical bit is that she can find the file she wants to play, press the play button on the Harmony 1100 remote and watch the content without stuttering, tearing, lock ups, etc. Don't need or want fancy skins or all the eyecandy.

So, all the back ground out of the way -- thanks for listening to the old codger ramble ...

What hardware can I purchase that will work out of the box with as little effort as possible to play existing ISO, MKV and MP4 media sitting on a NAS with NFS exports?
Outputs to media center is HDMI only, with hardwired ethernet as the source and work with a Harmony 1100 remote for navigation. Surround audio is critical - I have 5.2 and 7.1 audio.

In addition to this, (maybe this should go in a separate thread) what options are available to provide DVR capabilities for OTA content from an HD antennae?
It wouldn't bother me to record this into or convert into after recording MP4 with 5.1 or better DTS audio.
This I have a little more tweak/build lee way, as I hope to keep the moving parts of this out of sight.
Hi, the first thing that strikes me with regards to Wife Acceptable Factor is.. are you aware / familiar with OpenELEC??
I am in a similar situation, and the ability to just turn on my device and go directly (after a 10 second boot) to the main Kodi menu screen is what works.

In broad terms, it sounds to me like you need to buy a newer Intel NUC (but a cheap / lower end one would be fine), stick OpenELEC on it, and then you are away.
I will defer to others though if perhaps ive missed something..
XMBC / Kodi user since 2010 / Dharma. OpenElec user since 2011 / Eden.
Previously used a dedicated HTPC - am now a Kodi user, directly installed to my Sony Bravia Android TV.
(2015-07-09, 16:06)MSIC Wrote: Hi, the first thing that strikes me with regards to Wife Acceptable Factor is.. are you aware / familiar with OpenELEC??
I am in a similar situation, and the ability to just turn on my device and go directly (after a 10 second boot) to the main Kodi menu screen is what works.

In broad terms, it sounds to me like you need to buy a newer Intel NUC (but a cheap / lower end one would be fine), stick OpenELEC on it, and then you are away.

2nd -- OpenELEC + "NUC-like mini PC" (NUC, ChromeBox, MSI Wind, Beebox, etc - anything with a Haswell-class GPU or better). Run the PVR backend on your NAS.
(2015-07-09, 17:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-09, 16:06)MSIC Wrote: Hi, the first thing that strikes me with regards to Wife Acceptable Factor is.. are you aware / familiar with OpenELEC??

2nd -- OpenELEC + "NUC-like mini PC" (NUC, ChromeBox, MSI Wind, Beebox, etc - anything with a Haswell-class GPU or better). Run the PVR backend on your NAS.

Which NUC that is available today will work out of the box?
The reason I ask, is that I see the a wiki that shows having to open them up and putzing with the innards..
(2015-07-09, 19:05)Dalej Wrote: Which NUC that is available today will work out of the box?
The reason I ask, is that I see the a wiki that shows having to open them up and putzing with the innards..

edit: all NUCs are barebones, none are ready to go out of the box. Any of the 4th/5th gen NUCs will work, but all are overkill for a dedicated OpenELEC/Kodi box.

The most cost effective option is highly region-dependent. In the US, currently it's the Dell ChromeBox for $130 (w/coupon 05BBRZ5PFNTR9J), which isn't barebones, but requires a minor bit of hacking to load OpenELEC. In the UK, it's the HP 260 G1, which is barebones (add RAM, SDD, wireless).
Hi dalej, I wondered if you had any thoughts now?
Are you still needing to find a pre-built piece of hardware, because it'll be not too difficult to find.
XMBC / Kodi user since 2010 / Dharma. OpenElec user since 2011 / Eden.
Previously used a dedicated HTPC - am now a Kodi user, directly installed to my Sony Bravia Android TV.
Grab that discounted Chromebox Matt Devo has posted, all you need is the $149 one. No extra bits, that basic jobbie will suffice. Do it before it goes off sale price.

Its the beez knees for everything you want to do.

The Chromebox is one of the best supported media players on the Kodi forum largely thanks to Matt Devo's (aka Mr Chromebox) tireless support. You cannot go wrong. Wink

For OTA Broadcast TV you can run a PVR service on the OpenElec OS that you install on the Chromebox.
We just need to know where in the world you are to get the correct usb TV tuner ?

(2015-07-11, 12:32)wrxtasy Wrote: Grab that discounted Chromebox Matt Devo has posted, all you need is the $149 one. No extra bits, that basic jobbie will suffice. Do it before it goes off sale price.

Its the beez knees for everything you want to do.

The Chromebox is one of the best supported media players on the Kodi forum largely thanks to Matt Devo's (aka Mr Chromebox) tireless support. You cannot go wrong. Wink

For OTA Broadcast TV you can run a PVR service on the OpenElec OS that you install on the Chromebox.
We just need to know where in the world you are to get the correct usb TV tuner ?

I'm in the USA, Texas to be more precise.

I'm comparing this Dell, http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/c...vw=classic
which I can't tell if it has onboard ethernet or not to this ASUS http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M00...+Chromebox

I am really curious about what tuners are available/applicable.
All Haswell Chromeboxes are identical hardware wise; the Dell uses the same Realtek gigabit ethenet as the others.

I can't speak to USB tuners, but the HDHomerun I have works very well
(2015-07-11, 20:47)Matt Devo Wrote: All Haswell Chromeboxes are identical hardware wise; the Dell uses the same Realtek gigabit ethenet as the others.

I can't speak to USB tuners, but the HDHomerun I have works very well

I'm looking at the channelmaster DVR+ for capture/record of local OTA broadcasts and kodi for playback of shows we copy off the channlemaster.
I can't find many details about the Channlemaster's other capabilities, and I don't see much about exactly how the transfer of content off it works.
I have a user guide, and it is extremely vague.

Anyone use one of them for an ATSC tuner?
This is on sale at my local Fry's today.
http://www.frys.com/product/8378317?site...mail071515
There is no intel "NUC" part/model number listed, but the processor seems faster than the requirements listed here, it has IR and I think dual DIMM slots.
The thing that caught my eye was 7.1 surround, which is major plus.
(2015-07-15, 12:45)Dalej Wrote: This is on sale at my local Fry's today.
http://www.frys.com/product/8378317?site...mail071515
There is no intel "NUC" part/model number listed, but the processor seems faster than the requirements listed here, it has IR and I think dual DIMM slots.
The thing that caught my eye was 7.1 surround, which is major plus.

It's also twice as much as the Chromebox I linked, with no tangible benefit other than integrated IR. 7.1 audio is standard for any device with HDMI audio , they can all output 8-channel LPCM at a minimum

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yet another asking for advice thread - upgrade/update0