Android What is the correct way to import binary modules in Python addons?
Me and a couple other guys from Russian Kodi forum try to compile libtorrent-python binary module to use in torrent-streaming plugins in Kodi on Android, but so far our efforts haven't been successful. We were able to get a compiled libtorrent.so file, but it won't load in Kodi addons, probably because Python in Kodi on Android seems to use non-standard mechanism of loading binary modules. At least from what I see here (p. 8) and here.

So the question is: how to correctly load Python binary modules in Kodi addons on Android, assuming that the modules have been correctly built with Android-NDK? And, if this is necessary, what changes need to be applied to those modules to use them in Python-Kodi-Android?
We do the same with the boblight addon.

1. For building the so correctly you need to do the following at the end:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...kefile#L40

2. In the addon you need to ensure to load it via ctype from a location which has the needed android rights. For boblight the so file needs to be here:

https://github.com/bobo1on1/script.xbmc....ls.py#L108

3. Loading binary so files on android is cumbersome because of android - not because of python...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
As far as I understand, ctypes can be used only for pure C libraries operating with rather simple data types, but not C++ OOP libs dealing with classes and objects. But libtorrent-python is a rather sophisticated Python binary module written in C++ with Boost. On other platforms it is loaded by simple import statement. Or import for binary modules is broken in Kodi-Android?
Ohh ok - so no ctypes. Then i don't have a clue.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Dear Memphiz!

Thank you for your suggestion. It was really helpfull. We succeeded to load libtorrent module on Android. Although this post is on russian, the code is international Smile .
And what was missing for it to load?
We were missing preloading of liblibtorrent.so. We just followed your instructions. Before your answer we have missed this code

Code:
dll_path=os.path.join(dest_path, 'liblibtorrent.so')
liblibtorrent=CDLL(dll_path)

After we added these lines (with liblibtorrent.so) a regulat python's load method began to work for libtorrent.so also. I assume there is some low-level cache for loaded libraries that now contains a liblibtorrent.so. Therefore import is succeded.
I came across this thread after fighting with my addon for a good while, trying to make a binary execute on a non-rooted FireTV stick. I'm mostly convinced it won't work due to permissions, but I thought I'd ask.

I have a command line binary compiled for android (p7zip / 7za, for de-compressing 7z files). Including the binary and command line os.system execute commands in my addon seems to work just fine for every other system I've tried, but Android is a different animal.

I've attempted to execute the binary in the following locations:
/data/local/tmp/ - copied the file to this location and I can execute it via adb, but it fails when attempting to execute from my Kodi addon (using os.system or subprocess)
/data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/ - copied the file to this location and I can't execute it via adb (permissions error) or the addon

Is it possible to run a command line binary in android from Kodi? If so, what is the proper location to put the binary?
Second question, if the first isn't possible. I assume if I could compile a "libp7zip.so", ctypes is the correct method to use in Kodi / python and /data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files or /data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/lib is where the library should be located?
Yes to the latter

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the correct way to import binary modules in Python addons?2