Rookie looking for some basic help
I am looking for some real simple help. I have been browsing message boards and trying to read articles and have been able to piece some information together but I am not sure which options would work best for my needs. I have been running Kodi on an Amazon Fire box. I simply have it connected to my tv and hardwired to my router. However, I am only streaming shows right now. ATT is my internet provider and they arent the best so it is always buffering. What I would like is to set something up that I can use to automatically download episodes of the shows I want.

Ive read that I can simply hook a hard drive up to my router and add it as a source. This seems like the simplest option but I have also read that is typically very unstable. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, I have an att provided router with no usb drive. I waa told I would buy a router with usb drive and hook it up to it. Not sure if that would impact its connectivity even further or not. Now, my Fire is jailbroken so is it possible for me to hook a hard drive up to it directly?

If that is not a great option, I have a fairly new laptop with a cracked screen that I would be willing to use as a media center. It currently has Windows10. If I am going to load Kodi on it, should I still use Windows and strip everything off of it except Kodi?

I am trying to determine which is going to be the easiest and function the smoothest. I am currently only using it on one tv. I may eventually try to expand to a second but that isnt a deal breaker.

I know these are basic questions but it is incredibly difficult to find simplified explanations so thank you in advance!
(2015-07-10, 07:03)jstbuch Wrote: Now, my Fire is jailbroken so is it possible for me to hook a hard drive up to it directly?

New software updates from Amazon allow for USB storage devices to be connected. No need to be rooted aka jailbroken anymore if you ask me. But read about it, don't take anyone's words for it.

My $.02...
- install Kodi on your Windows laptop and use it as a media player via its HDMI
- Set the same Windows laptop with network shares. Access files via SMB from the Fire

That will give you two media players + Windows machine to do whatever else you want
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rookie looking for some basic help0