ASUS Chromebox Stuck on "Booting from hard disk"
Question 
Newbie here :/

Hello I have ran into trouble with my Asus Chromebox M004U that i bought on Amazon. I am big into watching free movies so I attempted to install Kodi on it through this tutorial. Where I accidentally (what i belived) formatted my Hard Drive on the Asus Chromebox, so now every time I turn it on all I get is "Booting From Hard Disk" and the screen stays on it. I have now just installed OpenELEC on a SD Card so I am able to boot through the OpenELEC (Kodi) right when I turn it on. So basically I do want my ChromeOS installed on my hard disk so I am able to do an install of OpenELEC+Kodi just on my main disk. Any help is amazing Smile Thanks!
If you flashed the firmware as per that guide, and you want to run ChromeOS and OpenELEC, then you need to restore the stock firmware, then follow the instructions here for dual booting. Everything you need is on the Chromebox wiki page, linked in my sig
Hey Matt Devo. That's where i screed up, I can't even restore the stock firmware, I tien the box on and all I get is the "boot from disk screen" Sad
You really should read the Wiki as Matt suggested:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Troubles...orkarounds

Look at the 2nd bullet point that starts with "Help!"
Okay update time, I am on my Computer with my Chromebox beside me. I have tried to do a factory restore with the inserting of the paperclip, nothing. The second I turn my Chromebox on I get the boot screen. I even have my backup ROM, I just don't know how I am able to install it back on to my Chromebox. I can't even get into developer mode because the only time my keyboard works is when I plug in my "OpenELEC" sd card, where I am able to press ESC to boot from there. All I really want is to have a dual boot setup, so I am able to do both ChromeOS and Kodi. I attached an image of my boot screen. So any help is awesome and thanks Matt and all but I just don't know how to restore my Chrome OS onto my box. Thanks!

*OKAY EDIT*

I realized that i deleted the Storage Partition of my Chromebox, so all i want to know is how do I repartition my Chromebox SSDHuh?
(2015-07-12, 03:02)ValueVillageFTW Wrote: Okay update time, I am on my Computer with my Chromebox beside me. I have tried to do a factory restore with the inserting of the paperclip, nothing. The second I turn my Chromebox on I get the boot screen. I even have my backup ROM, I just don't know how I am able to install it back on to my Chromebox. I can't even get into developer mode because the only time my keyboard works is when I plug in my "OpenELEC" sd card, where I am able to press ESC to boot from there. All I really want is to have a dual boot setup, so I am able to do both ChromeOS and Kodi. I attached an image of my boot screen. So any help is awesome and thanks Matt and all but I just don't know how to restore my Chrome OS onto my box. Thanks!

*OKAY EDIT*

I realized that i deleted the Storage Partition of my Chromebox, so all i want to know is how do I repartition my Chromebox SSDHuh?

As I said before, the instructions for restoring your stock firmware / backup rom are on the wiki - they even have their own section. If the instructions are unclear, let me know so I can clarify and improve them.

You haven't deleted anything, you simply flashed my custom firmware, which is incapable of booting ChromeOS. As soon as you restore the stock firmware, ChromeOS will boot again just fine.
Okay I tried inserting the paperclip and doing that, but the second I take it out I am still stuck on the SeaBIOS start up. I am unable to restore anything because I am still stuck on that bootscreen.
(2015-07-12, 04:22)ValueVillageFTW Wrote: Okay I tried inserting the paperclip and doing that, but the second I take it out I am still stuck on the SeaBIOS start up. I am unable to restore anything because I am still stuck on that bootscreen.

please read the wiki section here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Resetting_to_Stock. The recovery button has no function with my custom firmware loaded, and there's nothing in the instructions about using in order to restore the stock fimware.
Hi
I' m in trouble...please if anyone can help
This is on a hp chrome box

I went to install dual openelec and never did factory reset , I also changed the boot to 1s to start in openelec
It came up with what happened above about booting from hard drive
I then did factory reset
I have tried to press space for stock firmware
And now I am left with the developers page coming up very quickly with some other writing I cannot read as it is so quick then it all goes blank

Any ideas anyoneHuh Please please please
(2015-08-15, 15:50)Leahf Wrote: Hi
I' m in trouble...please if anyone can help
This is on a hp chrome box

I went to install dual openelec and never did factory reset , I also changed the boot to 1s to start in openelec
It came up with what happened above about booting from hard drive
I then did factory reset
I have tried to press space for stock firmware
And now I am left with the developers page coming up very quickly with some other writing I cannot read as it is so quick then it all goes blank

Any ideas anyoneHuh Please please please

it's quite easy -- on the developer mode boot screen, press [CTRL-D] to boot ChromeOS (you might have to hit it a few times on/before the screen shows), then once in ChromeOS, use the script to set the boot flags back to default and proceed from there.

Not sure why people ignore the instructions, which are precisely stated in order to prevent these sort of situations.
Thanks I will try
The problem is when I press the keys nothing responds... I have tried Crlt d, space bar, Crlt alt f2, ... Every combination possible each time turning power on and off and the keys don't seem to do anything. But I shall try again.

I know the instructions and I had planned to just install openelec stand Alone.....but when I couldn't get a USB I carried on and did dual without going back through instructions...so yep I am an idiot!!!
Cheers
Leah
Hi
No luck I have tried and tried crlt d but nothing!!!!!
Any ideas?

Leah
(2015-08-15, 19:08)Leahf Wrote: Thanks I will try
The problem is when I press the keys nothing responds... I have tried Crlt d, space bar, Crlt alt f2, ... Every combination possible each time turning power on and off and the keys don't seem to do anything. But I shall try again.

I know the instructions and I had planned to just install openelec stand Alone.....but when I couldn't get a USB I carried on and did dual without going back through instructions...so yep I am an idiot!!!
Cheers
Leah

space bar won't do anything, since you changed the boot options (to default to OE w/1s delay), which locks out the space bar from exiting developer mode. CTRL-ALT-F2 only opens a terminal once ChromeOS has booted, so that's no help. The only function available is to hit CTRL-D to boot ChromeOS - if that's not working, then try a different keyboard. There's no reason otherwise that it wouldn't work if ChromeOS is present/valid (which it is since you did a factory reset).
Hi

Pick up a new keyboard and it worked no problem... Thank you for your help and advice very much appreciated.
Cheers
Leah
Hi everyone, another newbie here. My apologies in advance Matt. I, too, must have done something wrong after installing your coreboot firmware... followed instructions for standalone OpenElec. Now upon pressing the power button on my Asus Chromebox CN60 (M075U), the exact same screenshot posted by ValueVillage above (SeaBios...Booting from hard disk.., ect.) appears IMMEDIATELY (no other preceeding text at all) and none of the keyboard presses work. I know the keyboard works b/c it worked for everything that landed me to this point.

Anyway, I followed the "Resetting to Stock" wiki instructions exactly, successfully created the Linux Live USB, have it in my hand. Everything is fine until this point, when I get confused... "Boot the Linux live USB, then open a terminal/shell window"..... How/where do I "boot" the USB? How is this possible if I can't even get to the boot screen? Because like I said, upon pressing power, it immediately and I mean IMMEDIATELY goes to the "SeaBios/booting from hard disk" screen. I tried inserting the Linux USB before pressing power, after pressing power, all combinations of keyboard commands... and nothing. Is it possible that the "Boot from USB" option has somehow been disabled? I do remember a yes or no question from the script about USB or Disk booting or something. Maybe I chose the wrong answer?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm now terrified that I may have just permanently bricked my brand new chromebox!!! Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Chromebox Stuck on "Booting from hard disk"0