[CHROMEOS] HOW TO - Install Kodi on ChromeOS using Crouton
Brick 
Crouton is a tool used to install linux inside of a Chromebook. More info here: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

Quote:xbmc was setup with crouton long ago, but it was never updated to kodi naming, and was basically broken. I have fixed it, and set it up to use the ppa for ubuntu releases. I've been working on it for a couple months, but it was just merged today and included in the newest release.

Getting Started

the directions for using crouton are located at the github page, but can be simplified as:
  1. Developer Unlock your Chromebook
  2. Download crouton file
  3. enter chromeos shell
  4. run crouton create command
  5. Start crouton with start command

Developer Unlocking your chromebook is a chromebook specific process, details here
THIS WILL POWERWASH YOUR CHROMEBOOK, SAVE ANYTHING THAT NEEDS SAVING
Quote:Note that developer mode, in its default configuration, is completely insecure, so don't expect a password in your chroot to keep anyone from your data. crouton does support encrypting chroots, but the encryption is only as strong as the quality of your passphrase. Consider this your warning.

Once your chromebook is unlocked, you can download the crouton file here: https://goo.gl/fd3zc <-- official link

Then:
  • Open a shell by pressing CTRL + ALT + T, then typing 'shell'
  • Then start the install process with 'sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -t kodi -n kodi'
  • The chromebook will work for about 10-15 min downloading and setting up the ubuntu chroot.
  • At some point it will ask you for a username and password, i commonly use kodi:kodi.

You're DONE!

You can start kodi by typing 'sudo startkodi' from the shell

You can switch back to ChromeOS by pressing CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + -> (right arrow in place of F2)
If you exit kodi, it will close the chroot and return you to ChromeOS.

MORE INFO

You can find TONS more info, as well as actual descriptions of crouton's features on the github page.

I've created a wiki page for kodi located here: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/wik...dia-Center
I'll update it with more info as i come up with it.

Feel free to ask questions below Smile

MODS, does this qualify to be moved to the how-to forum?
Also, is this something that could/should be covered in a blog post?
Says "failed to run bootstrap."
Moved to Tips, tricks, and step by step guides forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have tried these methods but might be due to some mistake, most of the data has got deleted from the device. Data Recovery Dubai has helped me in getting back the lost data but I would like to know the reason for the occurrence of such error?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[CHROMEOS] HOW TO - Install Kodi on ChromeOS using Crouton1