No link, no ip address, no internet access
Hi all,

I'm brand new here. I'm having RPi running Kodi pre-installed. Hardwired, directly on my internet router. I bought it a year ago. I don't know how to find out what version of Raspbmc or Kodi is running on it.

Since a few weeks I'm having a problem with the internet connection. The device doesn't receive an IP address. In 'System' and further 'system info' and 'network' it says following:
- link: not connected
- MAC address: {empty}
- IP address, subnet and gateway: {empty}
- Primary DNS: 127.0.0.1
- Secondary DNS: {empty}
- Internet: not connected. Check network settings.

When I check the network settings, I see following:
- it's on DHCP, but it doesn't get look like it receive an IP address. I still see the fixed IP I gave it (to try it without DHCP and after that didn't succeed, I turned DHCP back on)
- although the system tells me the change in the network configuration is 'applied', nothing is changing.

Does anyone has a clue on this?
Do you need more information?

Thanks a lot for your assistance and advice on this!

Best regards,

Jarno
Jarno,
Did these issues start after u gave the fixed IP?
Did u try plugging ur box in another one of the routers network plugs (assume it has four, like most routers). This would rule out a hardware error on ur router port.

The weird thing is, still, that u dont see mac addy. Every device must have one, since its 'burnt' in the hw/rom. This would suggest and hardware error on ur box.

To completely rule out a config issue (amd to conclude its indeed hw on ur box), try
- load fresh firmware, and see if works. If does, rejoice. If not:
- try and hook up d box wirelessly, if works have a hardware issue (but you can still rejoice)
- try hook up d box w ur neighbour. If works, give him a beer. If not, give him ur box.
Hi Miguix,

thanks to your reply and suggestions. I will get back to your questions/suggestions one by one:

1) No, the issue didn't start after I gave the fixed IP. It started all of a sudden. I shut down the device properly one day and the next day the problem was there;

2) I plugged in the box in another router port (of which I'm certain it works since there is an IP camera running on that port which is still working fine). So no hardware error in the router port;

3) I tried to hook up the box wirelessly, without any result. Same problem (also after a fresh restart)

Q's:
1) how do I load fresh firmware - is there any FAQ on this?

Many thanks again for your help!

Regards, Jarno
Symptoms sound like SD card corrupted is a distinct possibility.
The System Info summary should give you clues as to what the OS and Kodi releases (may be XBMC for you).
If you're not getting connected, you won't be able to login remotely and look at the logs - but you could still use exit from the shutdown menu to get to a console to login.
The location of the logs depends on what OS etc you are running, as does info about loading new stuff.
HTH
Derek
Do a fresh install, it's easy to do.

Download latest disk image for whichever Pi you have from here.

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

Currently, 5.0.8 for the latest stable release

-note there are two versions, Pi and Pi2.

Extract the gz file with 7zip or Winrar so you're left with the '.img' file.

Download this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Insert your (micro)SD card into your PC, then use win32diskimager to write the image file to the SD card.

After that's done, pop it into your Pi, and boot it up. connect up a USB keyboard to assist you during setup.
(2015-07-16, 07:50)jkunkeler Wrote: Hi Miguix,

thanks to your reply and suggestions. I will get back to your questions/suggestions one by one:

1) No, the issue didn't start after I gave the fixed IP. It started all of a sudden. I shut down the device properly one day and the next day the problem was there;

2) I plugged in the box in another router port (of which I'm certain it works since there is an IP camera running on that port which is still working fine). So no hardware error in the router port;

3) I tried to hook up the box wirelessly, without any result. Same problem (also after a fresh restart)

Q's:
1) how do I load fresh firmware - is there any FAQ on this?

Many thanks again for your help!

Regards, Jarno

If the problem persists on both cabled hook up on a diff router port, and wirelessly with the same problem, it is probably not hardware (unless u believe that both interfaces break at d same time). Odds are its indeed ur software / firmware thats messed up.
Thanks all, I will give it a try to re-install the Kodi software on the SD. I will get back to you as soon as I'm finished.

BR, Jarno
(2015-07-17, 12:20)jkunkeler Wrote: Thanks all, I will give it a try to re-install the Kodi software on the SD. I will get back to you as soon as I'm finished.

BR, Jarno

Good luck and thanks in anticipation for ur "report out" of the results
(2015-07-15, 21:45)jkunkeler Wrote: Hi all,

I'm brand new here. I'm having RPi running Kodi pre-installed. Hardwired, directly on my internet router. I bought it a year ago. I don't know how to find out what version of Raspbmc or Kodi is running on it.

Since you mentioned Raspbmc, you might want to look at OSMC, which is the successor of Raspbmc. You can get info at https://osmc.tv/download/ . Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No link, no ip address, no internet access0