Local .strm & .nfo dont mark as watched automatically
Whenever I watch a movie or tv episode in my Kodi Library it automatically gets marked as watched when i've finished the movie or episode. But when I make a .strm & .nfo file (in this case for something from youtube) it gets added to the library fine as if it was a real movie/tv show. But when i finish watching it, it doesn't get marked as watched.

Why is this and how can i fix this?

EDIT: I should mention, I can mark them as watched with the contextmenu (C on keyboard) and then they get marked as watched fine. With normal files however that gets done normally, but in the case of a .strm file I have to do it manually.
In Kodi .strm files are more like playlists, and as such they don't have "length". The automatic marking as watched uses a percentage of how much of the video was played, but Kodi doesn't treat .strm files like that.
Thanks. Will supplying the duration in the .nfo help?

And I've seen addons that have a "to library" function which uses .strm files and they get marked as watched when I have viewed them. Do the addons do some work of their own to make this happen?
I'm honestly not sure, for either question.
+1 for me

I do the exact same thing and would love to have Kodi keep track of what has been watched. I catalog a ton of content from Netflix (mostly kids movies and tv shows) and its hard to keep track of what has been watched and not and it is too much of a hassle to pull out the keyboard to mark the show as watched
(2015-09-17, 09:01)skarragallagher Wrote: +1 for me

I do the exact same thing and would love to have Kodi keep track of what has been watched. I catalog a ton of content from Netflix (mostly kids movies and tv shows) and its hard to keep track of what has been watched and not and it is too much of a hassle to pull out the keyboard to mark the show as watched

Yeah, Kodi does not do this with .nfo / .strm files by itself. I had to solve it in my addon with some code. When you play back the .strm file you go threw my addon, and my addon marks it as watched for you! You should ask the creator of the addon you use to implement that piece of code. I'm willing to share. I plan to release my addon as open source real soon. Open source cause I would like the world to be open source and want to contribute to that goal! Some last things to program, and busy, busy, busy Tongue.
Author of Youtube Library | youtubelibrary.nl
YTLibrary lets you add yt channels / playlists to the Kodi Library as if it were tv shows, musicvideos or movies

Want to help?
-translations
-your config
-webhost costs (0%)
contact me
Thanks for the reply and the offer to share the code. Currently I am not using an Addon as PlayOn is essentially a DLNA Server which Kodi can handle natively. I use the MyLibrary Script to create the STRM files which includes them in the Kodi Movie and TVShows Library complete with scapped metadat. Can you give me more details regarding your addon? Is there a thread?

There is a PlayOn Browser AddOn under development of which I have requested these features

Here is the Release Thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...On+Browser

Here is the original Development Thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222371

Perhaps you could participate on these threads or reach out to the developer and offer to share your code.

Thanks!
(2015-09-17, 20:26)skarragallagher Wrote: Thanks for the reply and the offer to share the code. Currently I am not using an Addon as PlayOn is essentially a DLNA Server which Kodi can handle natively. I use the MyLibrary Script to create the STRM files which includes them in the Kodi Movie and TVShows Library complete with scapped metadat. Can you give me more details regarding your addon? Is there a thread?

There is a PlayOn Browser AddOn under development of which I have requested these features

Here is the Release Thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...On+Browser

Here is the original Development Thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222371

Perhaps you could participate on these threads or reach out to the developer and offer to share your code.

Thanks!

My Addon does not have a thread yet. I've yet to implement some features and the official Kodi Repo, and I would like do that before creating a thread so users can easily access my addon Smile.

My addon will make it possible to add Youtube Channels / Playlists as Tv Shows in your Library complete with metadata! I've got lot of ideas to add after v1.0 like also adding music videos. But first i must get to 1.0. I'm almost there. It does the adding with metadata already, but there are still some minor bugs to fix and some cleanup of my code to do.

Would that Playon Addon be responsible for playing the videos itself? It's a must for my piece of code to work.

When scraping with mylibrary you are creating .strm files that will play directly. They will not play through an addon, so unless Kodi implements this future as its own, it will not work with that solution.
The PlayOn Browser Addon is responsible for playing the videos so your code should work.

You are correct, Kodi is handling the STRM files natively. Many have requested this (over the past 4 years) but it I has yet to receive any coding attention. I am assuming that it shouldn't be that difficult since yourself (and others) have the functionality built in.

Currently the PlayOn Browser Addon doesn't support native metadata scraping which is why I use my library to scrape the details into the Kodi Library

Ultimately I am after native Kodi support for watched status however I am open to using PlayOn Browser Addon in the future if they add Metadata scraping.
I'm not a dev, so I could be wrong about this, but this is how I understand it: On a fundamental level, STRM files are playlists and not single videos. Having an add-on trigger a marked status in the database, for a specific set of STRM files, is very different than having Kodi see STRM files as a single video (without impacting other playlist behavior, etc) and allowing it to hook into the automatic watch trigger.
Hi Ned, Thanks for your reply

I do see your point regarding STRM files as being a playlist. Currently the MyLibrary script creates one STRM file per item. Also many other addons are using STRM files as a single use type of file.

What I am suggesting is that, Perhaps Kodi Devs can add an option to settings that will allow STRM files to work with Automatic Watched Status. I understand it might not be applicable to every setup, thus having an option would be ideal. STRM files would probably need to have some extra logic that said:

If file = strm and setting (allow_strm_watched_status) is true
then mark as watched if the following conditions are met
(applicable conditions)

I don't think that making STRM files be recognized as videos so the automatic watched status trigger will work on these is the answer. Adding additional logic to handle STRM files different for automatic watched status seems to be less impactful

I am not a developer by any means however I don't think it would be so difficult to add this type of functionality and I think it would positively impact many users
(2015-09-18, 19:52)skarragallagher Wrote: I do see your point regarding STRM files as being a playlist. Currently the MyLibrary script creates one STRM file per item. Also many other addons are using STRM files as a single use type of file.

A Strm file is a playlist, a playlist which for many applications contain one reference... but none the less a playlist.

(2015-09-18, 19:52)skarragallagher Wrote: I don't think that making STRM files be recognized as videos so the automatic watched status trigger will work on these is the answer. Adding additional logic to handle STRM files different for automatic watched status seems to be less impactful
I am not a developer by any means however I don't think it would be so difficult to add this type of functionality and I think it would positively impact many users

You need to understand what a strm is and how kodi flags watched status, before making assumptions.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
IMO any type of "strm" watch flagging should take place at the plugin level, if it's a feature the plugin developer wants to add.
Hi Lunatixz,

I think I understand exactly what I STRM file is and I do realize that the current method that Kodi uses to determine watched status is by the percentage of the video that has been watched. This doesn't work well STRM file because it doesn't include the total time, etc. My understanding of the process has little to do with the relevance of my request.

Currently I am not using any Addons for playback of STRM files. It is handled natively (thus the request).

What I am asking for is an option to make STRM watched status work natively. You are correct that I am not a developer nor am I trying to minimize the level of effort that needed to accomplish this. This may get picked up and get some interest, this may not. All I can do is ask.

I have reached out to the developer of the PlayOn Browser addon to see if they are interested in developing this route as well as Sleuteltje has been gracious enough to offer the code he used to accomplish this.

Question: Why would be opposed to this "feature" as an native option?
(2015-09-18, 21:19)skarragallagher Wrote: Hi Lunatixz,
I have reached out to the developer of the PlayOn Browser addon to see if they are interested in developing this route as well as Sleuteltje has been gracious enough to offer the code he used to accomplish this.

That would be sytone and I
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=233136

(2015-09-18, 21:19)skarragallagher Wrote: Question: Why would be opposed to this "feature" as an native option?

I'm not opposed... you say you understand... so explain to me how and where Kodi would get the duration or runtime details for a strm?
Please don't say the DB because that deals with inaccurate runtimes. The plugin that creates the strms at least has an idea of where they come from and their duration.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Local .strm & .nfo dont mark as watched automatically0