Win Solved - audio starts on playback, but screen freeze on menu
Hello

I just started having troubles on a usually stable system.
When I select a video the audio will start playing, but the screen still shows the library menu where i selected the file.
when I enabled debug logging I noticed, that even the stats shown i the upper left corner froze. while the audio i still running
when I press stop on my remote the audio stops, but I am unable to navigate the menu, and I have to force close kodi.
I was running kodi 14.2 when it started, and have now done a clean install of 15 rc2.
I was able to do a library scan and watch one tv episode but when I started the next one the screen froze like earlier.
now every time I try to start a video the same thing happens.

My log
http://www.xbmclogs.com/ptdhak0mp

if the log doesn't show anything I recreate it and upload a new log.

edit:

turned the system on this morning and switched to software rendering only. everything seemed to play fine, so I switched back to autodetection and I haven't had any troubles yet.

edit:
ok it is connected to hardware rendering, the files I tested with was hi10p so it always software rendered (my fault). all videos which are supported by hardware rendering crashes even when set to software render only.
I suspect there might be a problem with the graphics card driver.

edit:
tried uninstalling the AMD catalyst driver and installed the the latest from their website. the problem is the same. then I uninstalled kodi 15 RC2 and went back to 14.2 absolutely no difference. I will try and see if I can install an older graphics driver.

edit:
this is my system for future reference
CPU/APU: Amd A8-3850
MB: Asrock A75M
This is definitely a video card issue, looks like the hardware acceleration is the problem. Either another driver or the hardware is starting to break down. You didn't mention the AMD card revision or the software versions, looks like AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics from your debug, perhaps some kind soul has the same card and will mention what software driver he is using and it's sucess. Supported hardware (wiki)

ATI Radeon R420 (X800) or newer supported, ATI Radeon R700 (HD 4000) or newer recommended.
thanks for pointers.
Right before this started I had just installed new windows updates and new graphics drivers. so now I looked around and found AMDs old drivers.
I uninstalled the auto updated graphics.
then reinstalled the newest from the website, it was this AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver version 15.20.1046
the problem was still there so I reinstalled the old driver: AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver version 14.12

Now everything works again, there seams to be a problem with the new driver.
Apparently if you install the new AMD drivers Kodi will stop working. EVERY media file plays about 10 seconds of jittery audio but no video, then Windows says that Kodi has crashed.
Great ending to this story.
I wonder if that's what's going on with my system. I recently updated my driver as well as updated kodi from 14.2 to 15. I've noticed that when going to my library video cuts out for a little while before the picture comes back. When watching guardians of the galaxy the audio keeps playing but video "crashes" or minimizes to the desktop. When I click on the icon it takes a few seconds for video to come back. But the whole time audio keeps playing. Also when I switched video resolution from 1080i to 1080p after a few minutes the resolution reverted back to 1080i.

One other weird thing, when navigating through my movies or the main screen I no longer hear the audio clicking when I scroll through stuff.

And one other unrelated note that doesn't have to do with kodi but with updating my amd driver. It suddenly chopped off a little bit around all the edges so I had to reduce my resolution so I could see everything.
sounds like something definitely happened to your driver or driver settings. I would keep kodi 15 and downgrade to your driver catalyst v14.xx and see if it continues. the 1080i/p problem could either be a problem with the driver or with a driver setting. if you set the gfx card to output in 1080i but kodi to 1080p it might create some output incompatibilities.

I have seen my driver switch to 1080i while I was checking the output. the picture suddenly only used half the screen and kodi switched to 1080i by it self.

the missing navigations sounds could also be connected to your audio or skin settings, some skins does not have navigation sounds and they can also be manually disabled.

The chopping of the edges is probably just the overscan settings, I have seen a couple of times that the setting gets reset when updating. as far as I remember its in the flat screen setting in catalyst. just pull the slider all the way to zero and make sure the resolution fits the tv, you might want to check that overscan is disabled on your tv as well, you have to look that up depending on the tv brand.
I'm pretty sure all my issues can be traced back to updating to the newest AMD driver. Except for the audio issue when scrolling through menus. It's happened before I just need to see if I can find the post that helped me with that issue.
I can confirm the AMD driver was the problem for me. Should I just avoid AMD updates for now? Will these updates be compatible with Kodi at some point? VLC player didn't have a problem playing the same files that froze Kodi with the AMD driver update.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2015-07-27, 04:57)maddog808 Wrote: I can confirm the AMD driver was the problem for me. Should I just avoid AMD updates for now? Will these updates be compatible with Kodi at some point? VLC player didn't have a problem playing the same files that froze Kodi with the AMD driver update.

Avoid AMD in general. VLC does not need to render in DirectX ... Kodi is using all gpu resources it needs, if the driver sucks - we are affected first.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-27, 13:06)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 04:57)maddog808 Wrote:

Avoid AMD in general. VLC does not need to render in DirectX ... Kodi is using all gpu resources it needs, if the driver sucks - we are affected first.

How do I avoid AMD in general, if my machine's APU is an A6-3500?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2015-08-04, 08:09)maddog808 Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 13:06)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 04:57)maddog808 Wrote:

How do I avoid AMD in general, if my machine's APU is an A6-3500?

No idea - but I did not force you to buy it - did I?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Same problem, same solution on A3870. AMD drivers are problematic for this series to say the least.
After upgrading from 7 to win10 I had the same issue of the sound play but no video, after 2 days of uninstalling (Kodi, TVADDONS, and XBMC) I went under system,settings, videos, Acceleration and disabled the hardware acceleration DXVA2 and it started working again

Acer Aspire 7560
AMD A6 3400M
AMD Radeon 6520G
6gb Ram
1tb internal HDD
windows 10
(2015-08-05, 00:45)Techno35 Wrote: After upgrading from 7 to win10 I had the same issue of the sound play but no video, after 2 days of uninstalling (Kodi, TVADDONS, and XBMC) I went under system,settings, videos, Acceleration and disabled the hardware acceleration DXVA2 and it started working again

Acer Aspire 7560
AMD A6 3400M
AMD Radeon 6520G
6gb Ram
1tb internal HDD
windows 10

Win 10 probably fetches the newest driver by itself during install/update. this could turn out to be a bigger problem than first anticipated.
if win 10 install its own drivers, you should be able to manually download the catalyst v14.xx drivers and overwrite the standard windows drivers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solved - audio starts on playback, but screen freeze on menu1