J*** image resource addons questions
I have a skin that is on my own repo and I had a few questions regarding the new image resource addons...

What is the best way to use icons not in the provided packs ie alternate names or non existent images?

For my situation should I add the studio images from my flags folder to my repo as an addon and set it as required in the skin addon.xml or just keep doing it the old way and manually make my xbt file?

Will a skin on the Kodi repo automatically add the images to a Textures.xbt file or will these images remain outside of that file with duplicates?

I like the idea of only needing to update the skin xmls minus the images so I am wondering if that is indeed how it works?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully not too many Cool

P.S. Jarvis or Jasselhoff? The latter sounds like a joke but... who knows Wink
If you have images that are missing from the packs I suggest you try and commit them to the official addon so we all benefit.
(2015-07-17, 09:26)Hitcher Wrote: If you have images that are missing from the packs I suggest you try and commit them to the official addon so we all benefit.

Hmmm...
I would not even know where to start... do you have any suggestions on how to sift through over 6,700 icons and remove the ones that are invalid or are already in the pack? I did not make these they were provided by someone who has image making experience which I unfortunately do not have. I do not mind doing things to benefit the community but I do not think I have enough time to look through all of these images Sad
I do not even fully understand how the system is supposed to work. Huh
well, it's still a bit of a work in progress thing...

i've been working on creating image packs over the last week, there are currently 25 of them.
those have been collected from all skins that are in our repo.

if you have stuff that's not already included in one of those 25 image packs,
you can submit them to the addon repo as a separate image resource addon,
or we could merge it with one of the existing ones.
(depending on if the match the existing images or are completely different.)

we still need to set up a repo for J*** (who knows) though.
also we're looking into if we can distribute the resource image addons as .xbt files or not.

i'll post some more detailed info as soon as we have a repo set up for testing.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
we'll still need to find out some stuff ourselves and how it will work.As such i suggest not start using it yet before we get it all ready.

To answer some:
* Yes image pack will be packed into Texture.xbt. However currently this doesn't work yet due some hardcoded usage for only skins.
* Yes you will need to sift through the images which are already available and add the missing ones
* Yes you can submit/PR new images to our maintainer (currently ronie) so all skins will get the same updated pack. We have not yet decided what will be the upstream location.
* I'm not sure if ALL skin art should become a separate image pack as users would become confused by the vast amount or would even work properly as we haven't tried it. Currently it will not work and the same accounts for Themes. So keep all image images in the skin itself and only make a pack when it makes sense (studio logos and weather images come to mind). Ripping out all the studios/labels/flags already cuts down size considerately so update a skin will become way faster.
* skins must define the exact resource ID where they can find the images and as such you can't easily extend it.

to be continued somewhere in the future....
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks for the info ronie and Martijn Smile
I had thought this might be an ongoing/evolving addition. My questions were both to try and see what the plan might be going forward and what I should consider doing with these cool new toys that get added every codename bump. Wink
Thanks again and I look forward to more info when it is available Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
J*** image resource addons questions0