No video with SD channels only audio
Hi,

I got a Problem with my Live TV on my RaspberryPi 2 with OpenElec 5.0.8 official.
Vdr is running on my debian server in the basement with vnsi plugin enabled.
The problem is that i cant watch SD channels on my Raspberry. When I select a channel
the default audio visualisation shows up and the audio from the channels comes up, but theres no
video. HD channels are working fine and on my Android Phone with Kodi everything is working fine.

Thanks,

Manrax
Does it play SD recordings? If not, this is RPI specific issue.
SD Recordings are playing fine also.

The funny thing i noticed now is that after playing a SD recording the SD channels now display video too.
But after a reboot theres only audio again.

The described behavior is reproducible after every reboot.

Manrax
I'll ping the RPi dev
Does that mean that once you played a SD recording all SD channels work until reboot?
Exactly,

I also tried OSMC today and the behavior is the same.
So the problem hast to be Kodi or RPi related.

Manrax
Can you get a debug log (wiki) showing playing the SD live TV (that fails) then playing a recording, and then playing the SD live TV (which works).
Heres the debug log:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/pmwiiqafz

I also found out that I have to directly switch from the running recording to the SD channel.
If I stop the recording first it doesnt work either.

Manrax
Ah, the video is MPEG2 and you don't have an MPG2 codec licence.

Ideally it should handle this better. There are two acceleration modes on the Pi:
omxplayer: lowest cpu but doesn't handle software decode
dvdplayer: Can use MMAL for HW accelerated decode, but will fall back to software decode if unsupported.

What is meant to happen is that if omxplayer is opened with a code that is unsupported you get a message in log:
Code:
17:14:31 T:1557984288  NOTICE: OMXPlayerUnsuitable OMXPlayer unsuitable due to video codec (2:0/1)

and it falls back to dvdplayer. MMAL will then fail with:
Code:
17:14:31 T:1557984288 WARNING: CMMALVideo::Open Codec mmal-mpeg2 is not supported
and it falls back to software (ffmpeg) decode.

This is working when playing from a file, but when using PVR interface it seems the player is opened before the codec is known so you are left with using omxplayer with a codec that is unsupported. It seems your hack of playing a file (which falls back to dvdplayer with software decode), then switching to live TV means you continue using dvdplayer with software decode which works.

If you disable omxplayer in video/acceleration settings, that should fix your problem.

The best solution is to buy the MPEG2 codec licence which will allow hardware decode to work (so omxplayer will work), and it will also supports deinterlace. You will get the best quality by following this route.

@FernetMenta any suggestions for the OMXPlayerUnsuitable test? It seems that is called before the codec ID is known in this case which stops the fallback to dvdplayer from working.
I cant find the acceleration options in the System > Video Output menu
My settings level is set to expert.

But actually I think I'm going to buy the codecs so the problem should be fixed anyways.

Manrax
(2015-07-18, 18:27)Manrax Wrote: I cant find the acceleration options in the System > Video Output menu
My settings level is set to expert.

You want video/acceleration in settings (not system/video).

Quote:But actually I think I'm going to buy the codecs so the problem should be fixed anyways.

That is the right solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No video with SD channels only audio0