Play a file without adding a folder?
Is there any way to just watch a single video file by looking through your home network drives on your computer? Do you ALWAYS have to 'add' the folder? What if I don't want to add it permanently?
On any given install I make, I will add "smb://" as a source. This will automatically get labeled in Kodi as a generic SMB/Samba browser, so you don't have to specifically add exact file hosts. This also works with UPnP by adding "upnp://".

You can even add zerconf, which isn't a file sharing protocol itself, but a way to discover devices on your network that are announcing themselves as available. Just do "zeroconf://"

There was some talk about making a single "browse" node that would automatically be there for all the file browsing protocols that kodi can detect without manual addition. So much like what I described, but it would all be under a node/title like "Network". You can still add specific file sources, but it's nice for just playing the casual file here and there.
(2015-07-18, 01:25)Ned Scott Wrote: On any given install I make...
That's super helpful, thanks! I'll play with those two options.
On a similar note, when hooked up to ethernet on the boxee, I used to be able to see the HDD connected to the Boxee from my desktop and basically FTP shows over to it without having to bring that HDD over to my desktop. Now, in Windows, I don't see the Boxee at all under Network. Any idea what's wrong?
Not sure. Sometimes the way shares get announced on the network is kind of flaky. Or rather, whatever is handling it isn't always coming through automatically.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play a file without adding a folder?0